South East & Limestone Coast | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#16 Post by skyliner » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:22 pm

MG is unique in many ways and I too would love to see it crack 50,000.
I think more realistically that it will crack 30,000

Mt.Gambier's population now 24,042 accourding to lartest ABS reports.
It stands to gain indirectly through the close proximity of the mill (about 40km away). As MG has a large area of influrence economically, it will gain in wealth as well..

The area is incredibly rich agriculturally with one of the most reliable rainfalls in Australia - rain for 168 days a year on average giving a total of 750mm a year. The economy is very stable baing also based on the pine forests and bluegum - -at least 300,000 hectares and planned to go over 400.000.

Looking forward to seeing a great future there!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:00 pm

The problem with Mt Gambier, is that its in a cold part of the state.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by JAKJ » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:14 pm

crawf wrote:The problem with Mt Gambier, is that its in a cold part of the state.
No colder than Melbourne :lol: ... Its also much more humid which makes a big difference..

skyliner

#19 Post by skyliner » Tue May 08, 2007 5:45 pm

Makes up for all the desert in the state! Also makes up for all the hot places - alternatives are needed! Eg. rain!!.

Seriously,
I am surprised at how little support MG and the surounding area has had from the state government over so many things. The Mill is an exception.It's like 'out of sight, out of mind!'

The CBD is one of the best of all similar sized cities I have seen in NSW and Vic. The wealth of the area is outstanding and noteably missed by the drought. Take a look at NSW, SE QLD and Vic.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by crawf » Wed May 09, 2007 1:29 am

Does anyone have any pictures of Mount Gambier? (especially the CBD)

I would love to see some, the closet I've been to MG was near Nelson, 30km from MG.

rhino

#21 Post by rhino » Wed May 09, 2007 9:47 am

I heard a chap talking on the radio a couple of days ago about the pulp mill and climate change. He stated that the amount of air pollution caused by the pulp mill will affect the capability of the clouds passing overhead to produce rain, which the clouds would normally drop on the Victorian Alps as they pass over on their eastward trek. The pollution will mean that the clouds will take longer to form rain, which will then fall over the Pacific Ocean, missing the continent completely. The effect of this will be that the rain that doesn't fall on the Victorian Alps will not find it's way into the Murray River system, further depleting the ammount of water in the river.

My question is, how much pollution will the pulp mill generate? It won't have it's own coal or oil burning power plant will it? Why not a dedicated wind turbine or 5? What happens to the stuff that isn't pulped/chipped? Does it get value-added by getting turned into mulch or compost and on-sold, or is it burned as waste? I don't see why there needs to be a huge ammount of pollution associated with the pulp mill, but what would I know? I do know that using rail to get the woodchips to Portland would cause a lot less pollution than using trucks. Maybe this is what the caller was talking about.
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#22 Post by skyliner » Sat May 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Rhino - still researching some of those questions you put -
A. Amount of pollution/causes
B. Method of power generation.
C. Waste/unchipped material.

However I did find the following from Four Coners Forums 9/4/07
'Increased plantings of bluegums on headwaters of creeks, rivers,
recharge areas and catchments are having a huge effect pon the
Green Triangle region and the full impact may be more than a
generation away.Chemical use in the growing of trees is a real
concern as it is finding its way into water systems'.

'A pulp mill polluting with dioxins and furans into the atmosphere in
order to process bluegum plantation timber will threaten our world
reputation and cause pollution to wine areas such as Coonawarra,
grains, beef, milk and vegetables.'

I believe such a large concern has the capability and capacity to address chemical use with the bluegums as well as the use of dioxins and furins.
Reading the Protavia sites has revealed extensive questiioning and consideration of environmental issues, especially on doubling its size on the lapsing of the Heywood proposal. The locals are big on such issues and are not letting anything they know about go.

Finally Rhino, the inference concerning the enormous results of one mill on the Victorian climate and hence rain into the Murray, is astounding to say the least. I wonder of the presenter of this isea has forgotten we have had a drought and that there is hardly anything to give rain anyway? It can only improve from this point.

rhino

#23 Post by rhino » Mon May 14, 2007 8:20 am

skyliner wrote: the inference concerning the enormous results of one mill on the Victorian climate and hence rain into the Murray, is astounding to say the least.
Yes, I have to agree with you there!
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#24 Post by skyliner » Sat May 19, 2007 5:40 pm

crawf said

In reply mate, high level photographs are available from whereis. com .au. The CBD is of the typical linear variety found in most provincial cities of Australia. the MG CBD is over 1km long - solid with shops. offices etc (Nearly all with cantilevers). The centre is in a square around a sinkhole surrounded by gardens of the 19th century variety. Recently the city has been invaded by the likes of coles, woolworths etc etc plus has an arcarde style retail centre off the main drag. The main street is very narrow and gets huge traffic problems. ALMOST ALL buildings are one/ two levels due to a very extensive subterranean cave systen and rivers near the ground surface. This has caused the spread of the CBD.
The place develops a city feel very easily - lots of traffic lights the only way to control the CBD traffic.

skyliner

#25 Post by skyliner » Sat May 19, 2007 5:42 pm

My apolgies crawf - made a blue with the qoote.

rhino

Re: Lower South East Pulp Mill

#26 Post by rhino » Thu May 31, 2007 2:38 pm

Good to see Rory is backing this project.

From today's Advertiser:

Fight over pulp mill taken to the House
NICK HENDERSON
May 31, 2007 02:15am

A GROUP opposed to the proposed Penola pulp mill took their case to Parliament House yesterday.

The No Pulp Mill Alliance is concerned about the water requirements of the mill, believing it could damage the environment.

Alliance spokesman Duan Butler yesterday gave a presentation to three Upper House MPs and the media.

"The main concern is the water - it is not actually there," he said.

The State Government is using a special legislative process to gain approval for the project.

Forests Minister Rory McEwen said stringent environmental guidelines were in place and that the project had the potential to generate $600 million a year.

"The Penola Pulp Mill Authorisation Bill 2007 will impose strict environmental and operating standards on the project, and will be subject to the scrutiny of the parliamentary process," Mr McEwen said.
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#27 Post by rhino » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Bi-partison support for this project in the Lower House yesterday.

Last week Protavia announced that it would be using the container terminal at Port Adelaide (Outer Harbour) to export its wood pulp, and would be railing the pulp to the port. Of course this means that the south east rail line will have to be gauge converted at last, after 12 years of laying idle, at least between Wolesly and Penola. A huge carrot for the SA Govt, and the mill was approved within a couple of days.

NICK HENDERSON, STATE POLITICAL REPORTER
September 12, 2007 02:15am

THE Government's controversial Penola Pulp Mill Bill was passed in the Lower House yesterday with the support of the Opposition.

The Bill allows a $1.5 billion pulp mill to be built in the state's South East without being subjected to normal planning rules. Critics of the proposal have warned it will cause significant damage to the environment.

Leader of Government Business in the Lower House, Patrick Conlon, told Parliament the pulp mill was an important project.

"My understanding is that if a pulp mill under these circumstances cannot be built, it is unlikely you will build any sort of pulp mill in the South East and I do not think anyone believes we should not be using pulp products," he said.

"The truth is we will always have an appetite for them."

Opposition Forests spokesman Mitch Williams said amendments had been made to the Bill which had addressed concerns about the mill. "We will be proposing a Bill which in a way meets the aspirations of virtually all the stakeholders and satisfies legitimate community concerns," he said.

Outspoken critic of the proposed mill Greens MLC Mark Parnell said he was disappointed the important Bill took just two hours to pass the House of Assembly. "We were told Parliament was the highest level of scrutiny, yet two hours of debate was all they managed. What a disgrace," he said.

"Using Parliament to rigorously assess this $1.5 billion project was always the wrong way to go.

"My line hasn't changed from day one. A project this size must be subject to a proper environmental impact study."
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#28 Post by skyliner » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:37 pm

Thanks Rhino - I was looking at the Protavia site only a few days ago to get this outcome. Nothing then.
You beat me to it!

I hope the railway to Mt Gambier is built as well. The SA gov't originally was willing to open the whole SE line system if an interest from the private sector could be gained. This was around 2002 I believe, Well now they have their private interest at a bonus level. To be consistent with earlier proposals and conditions the gov't should extend to MG and have thw whole system converted to standard gauge and used. It would be a great pity if a place the size of MG (24000 - the biggest provincial city in the state) is not linked up as the mill site is only 40km away. By going to MG the forest traffic could be more fully accessed as well as cater for freight needs of the area.

As a native MG person, (when it had only 10000)I can recall two passenger trains A DAY linking it with Adelaide. The freight traffic was 'enormous' in the terms of the then rail fraternity.

BTW - I wonder why Portland is not to be the outlet for Protavia?
Jack.

rhino

#29 Post by rhino » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:59 am

skyliner wrote:BTW - I wonder why Portland is not to be the outlet for Protavia?
Protavia wants to ship its pulp in containers, and there is no container facility at Portland - they deal in bulk goods via conveyors there.
cheers,
Rhino

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #Proposal: Cape Jaffa Redevelopment $34m

#30 Post by rogue » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:24 am

From AdelaideNow...
Hamlet set for seachange

CARA JENKIN

November 03, 2007 01:15am

THE sleepy seaside town of Cape Jaffa is about to become 20 times larger.

Construction is beginning on the Anchorage residential estate and marina in the hamlet between Robe and Kingston in the state's South-East.

Cape Jaffa now has about 30 homes and fishery sheds and one general store. The new project will add 550 homes, a tavern, commercial precinct, social club, sports facilities and playgrounds.

On-going employment in residential, commercial and community services and opportunities for the fishing industry will create 250 jobs.

Project managing director Rob Gabb said the project, which began as a plan to build a permanent public boat ramp to prevent boaties from bogging their cars on the beach, essentially was building a township from the ground up.

Marketing and sales manager Mark Hayward said the $350 million project would include building the community as well as houses.

"As a developer, we are responsible for the social fabric of the place and because we are building a township from the ground up, we are concentrating on building the community from day one," he said.

"It was like the world had passed them by."

One hundred allotments will be released each year as infrastructure is completed. All homes will be built by 2015.

Each house will be environmentally sustainable, with 1.5 kilolitre rainwater tanks and correct orientation to gain natural heating and cooling.

Stormwater will be harvested from streets and used to restock the local aquifer.

Upgraded and secure facilities for the town's 25 commercial fishing boats are provided at the marina and will help expand the aquaculture industry in Lacepede Bay.

Kingston District Council chairman Evan Flint said: "You can't knock development in any area as with more development there are more jobs and it is great for the local fishing industry."

Caravan park managers Peter and Helen Hales said the town already bustled in summer and its expansion was inevitable. "I think it is fate with the way things are going on and the effect will depend on how it is managed and it seems to be being managed very well," Mr Holmes said.
Might need to change thread title to U/C and $350m. :)