News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
A-Town
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#601 Post by A-Town » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:28 am

The former government should have just signed the contract before the new government could tear up the deal purely out of spite.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#602 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:34 am

Caretaker provisions between the issue of writs for an election and the election date prohibit the signing of any major contracts, other than low level procurement contracts to ensure the continuancy of governance (public sector) during that time.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#603 Post by A-Town » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:15 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:34 am
Caretaker provisions between the issue of writs for an election and the election date prohibit the signing of any major contracts, other than low level procurement contracts to ensure the continuancy of governance (public sector) during that time.
The government's preferred option was announced before the caretaker period.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#604 Post by SRW » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:16 pm

Seems like regardless whatever show the new government was making of a review for this site, the Crows are now full steam ahead on Thebarton. Seven News reported that the Crows CEO said today that Thebarton was all but guaranteed. A relief for the Bowden project.
Keep Adelaide Weird

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#605 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:26 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:16 pm
Seems like regardless whatever show the new government was making of a review for this site, the Crows are now full steam ahead on Thebarton. Seven News reported that the Crows CEO said today that Thebarton was all but guaranteed. A relief for the Bowden project.
That’s excellent news.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#606 Post by SRW » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:32 pm

I'm not a football person, so I'm not sure if there are reasons beyond space, but I'm surprised neither Prospect or Norwood ovals have been contenders. Given the downside of West Lakes is its supposedly (deficient) connectivity, I'm not sure how Thebarton is an improvement, whereas both Prospect and Norwood have a reasonable prospect (no pun) of tramlines in the near term (and are possibly more proximate to the Crows fan base?).
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort

#607 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:02 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:32 pm
I'm not a football person, so I'm not sure if there are reasons beyond space, but I'm surprised neither Prospect or Norwood ovals have been contenders. Given the downside of West Lakes is its supposedly (deficient) connectivity, I'm not sure how Thebarton is an improvement, whereas both Prospect and Norwood have a reasonable prospect (no pun) of tramlines in the near term (and are possibly more proximate to the Crows fan base?).
They don't care about accessibility to fans, it's primarily about the ground and facilities being as close to the city as possible for the Crows.

Algernon

#608 Post by Algernon » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:59 pm

SRW wrote:
If you mean Norwood and Prospect Ovals, then no, the spaces are too constrained. In the case of Norwood Oval, it is not only space constrained, but the size of the oval incredibly small (the entire site can't contain the width of an MCG sized pitch). Also, training pitches should ideally have more than one oval.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#609 Post by A-Town » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:01 pm

SRW wrote:
A move to Prospect or Norwood Ovals would mean they would have to share facilities and oval space with SANFL clubs North Adelaide and Norwood. I believe cricket is also played at Prospect Oval in the summer and baseball in Norwood too.

There's also limited room to grow in terms of upgrading facilities at these venues to a modern day AFL-standard.

[Shuz]

#610 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:21 pm

Isn't Thebarton the headquarters and home of the SAAFL (amateur league) where the finals / grand finals are played for that competition. If so, where will they relocate to?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

JCK98
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#611 Post by JCK98 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:07 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:21 pm
Isn't Thebarton the headquarters and home of the SAAFL (amateur league) where the finals / grand finals are played for that competition. If so, where will they relocate to?
Word is the amateur league will move to Campbelltown and the SANFL (the head tenant at the moment) will move their umpire and junior development training to the current Crows facility at West Lakes (need to put up lights for that though).

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#612 Post by Jaymz » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:41 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:02 pm
SRW wrote:
They don't care about accessibility to fans, it's primarily about the ground and facilities being as close to the city as possible for the Crows.
Of course they do, they are the reason for any football club to exist. Ridiculous comment :roll:

Nort

#613 Post by Nort » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:45 am

Jaymz wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:41 pm
Nort wrote:
SRW wrote:
Of course they do, they are the reason for any football club to exist. Ridiculous comment :roll:
You realise they're talking about it as a practice and training facility primarily right? They won't be playing actual games there.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#614 Post by Jaymz » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:23 pm

Nort wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:45 am
Jaymz wrote:
Nort wrote:

You realise they're talking about it as a practice and training facility primarily right? They won't be playing actual games there.
Yes I more than realise this, being an Adelaide Football Club paying member.

Nort

#615 Post by Nort » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:30 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:23 pm
Nort wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:45 am
Jaymz wrote:

Yes I more than realise this, being an Adelaide Football Club paying member.
Right, and how many fans a week do you expect will be visiting this facility (with the Crows being the primary draw, not locals just using gym facilities etc)?