News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#736 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:05 pm

Ok, looks like there will be ground floor retail and commercial office space in the building. Architectus are the architects.

https://lifemoreinteresting.com.au/happ ... to-bowden/
Premium rental apartments bring New York state of mind to Bowden

A $100 million apartment building at Bowden is set to flip Adelaide’s rental market on its head, coupling 5-star amenities with multi-year leases to give tenants ultimate choice and control over their long-term living arrangements.

Global property giant Sentinel will deliver the premium Build-to-Rent (BTR) project – the first of its kind in South Australia – on Third Street, after achieving tremendous success with the housing model overseas and across other parts of Australia.

The BTR model, which sees entire buildings professionally managed, leased and owned by a single operator, is a phenomenon in the US and Europe, and is already a major disruptor interstate. It is expected to have a similar impact locally, delivering greater outcomes for tenants in a market traditionally geared towards results for landlords.

While tenants in BTR properties generally pay higher rents, they receive guaranteed longer-term leases over high-quality apartments, in premium locations. The rolling rents cover maintenance of whitegoods included in each property, and tenants enjoy access to a string of in-house conveniences. The property will also be pet-friendly.

Housing and Urban Development Minister Nick Champion said the introduction of this new asset class to the South Australian market would reinvent renting, making long-term renting a genuine, secure housing option that provided more choice for residents across various life stages.

“The Build-to-Rent sector is emerging as another way to help address housing shortages and ease the rental squeeze,” Minister Champion said.

The development will deliver close to 250 rental accommodation options in a tight market. Sentinel’s well-established and tested approach will provide renters with a more streamlined and transparent leasing experience which eliminates any need for rent bidding and sees applications granted on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible applicants.

It also offers tenants the flexibility to move to different-sized apartments within the building over time as their living requirements change.

The latest data shows rental vacancy rates in Adelaide are less than 1%. Twenty-eight per cent of South Australia’s population are renters.

The sophisticated Bowden BTR community will offer the full-service trimmings of a New York apartment building, including panoramic views of the parklands and Bowden Park, a fully equipped fitness centre with swimming pool, rooftop gardens with outdoor cabana seating and barbecues, a business centre, resident lounge, bike storage, EV car charging stations and pet washing facilities.

Spanning over 12 storeys, the mixed-use development is tipped to become a landmark in Bowden, constructed directly opposite Bowden Park and the Plant 3 and 4 hospitality precinct.

It will include one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, each featuring floor-to-ceiling double glazed windows, a fully included appliance package, high-end cabinetry, stone benchtops, walk-in showers and soaking tubs along with spacious outdoor living areas. Rental rates will be determined closer to the development’s completion.

Renewal SA Chief Executive Chris Menz said Bowden’s ability to marry thoughtful design, sustainability, engaging placemaking and a sense of community made it the perfect location to launch the state’s inaugural BTR project.

“Bowden has been at the forefront of innovative housing in South Australia for more than a decade,” Mr Menz said. “In 2022, Renewal SA specifically sought a BTR operator for the Bowden precinct and received such strong interest, highlighting what a unique and well-serviced community offering it has become. Having one of the world’s leading institutional BTR providers in Sentinel choosing Bowden as the location for its first South Australian venture will raise that bar again.

“Sentinel’s development will trigger a market shift. Not only will it deliver greater choice and a more professionally managed and transparent rental experience for tenants, it will also free up availability in other housing segments that are currently oversaturated.”

In keeping with its industry-leading commitment to sustainability, Sentinel’s latest portfolio offering will target carbon neutral certification, a minimum 5-Star Green Star rating from the Green Building Council of Australia and an 8-star NatHERS rating. This is expected to dramatically reduce the embodied carbon within the building, and the tenant’s energy costs.

Designed by award-winning architecture and design studio, Architectus, the project will also include dedicate resident parking, leasing office, and ground floor retail and commercial office spaces providing further opportunities for Third Street to realise its true high-street potential.

Director of Sentinel Fund Manager Australia, Michael Streicker said the company was proud to deliver Adelaide’s first institutional Build-to-Rent community and play a role in providing greater housing choice to South Australians.

“Our Build to Rent communities are designed and operated with renters as the priority, offering them a more refined and convenient rental experience. We care that our residents can be part of vibrant and engaged communities where environmental and social sustainability are integrated throughout,” Mr Streicker said.

“This acquisition marks an important step in Sentinel’s national growth strategy. Following on from our successful delivery of Australia’s first purpose-built Build-to-Rent communities in Western Australia, as well as the establishment of our first projects in Victoria and Queensland, we’re looking forward to working closely with Renewal SA to deliver this first-of-its-kind project for the state of South Australia.”

Like nearby success story, Nightingale Bowden, Sentinel will also have a strong focus on community connectedness, fostered through a range of social events for residents including pizza nights, community picnics, in-house art exhibitions, and complimentary holiday gift wrapping. These events will allow tenants to mingle with their neighbours creating an inclusive, yet exclusive, environment.

The development is expected to provide more than 250 jobs for South Australians throughout its construction and operation. In addition, the project will facilitate a series of work experiences placements for job seekers and high school students as part of Renewal SA’s social enterprise program the Works Program. A paid employment position will also be sourced from the work experience cohort.

Construction of the apartment community, which will be managed under Sentinel’s Kinleaf property management brand, is expected to begin in the second half of 2024.

SBD

#737 Post by SBD » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:29 pm

So "foreign investment" and "landlord" are usually both bad words, but put them together and it's good?

Deliberate long-term rental means the tenants won't achieve what we have been told is the "great Australian dream" to own their own home. But look at many businesses and notice that responsible capital management is to rent the high-value assets to avoid needing to spend so much up-front before establishing an income stream.

I don't want to be a landlord, but I can imagine choosing to invest in a residential property trust that owns and manages buildings like this. I guess if this is "innovative" and new to the Adelaide market, there aren't any yet. If they can let go of the "great Australian dream", it seems like an ideal solution for young adults/couples/families, especially with supported opportunities to resize without changing community as their needs change.

golf
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#738 Post by golf » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:25 pm

There will always be a population of renters for various reasons, and yes, there are people who actively choose to rent over home ownership for the benefits it traditionally offered. Those benefits have basically been stripped bare over the last couple of years, but in a normal housing market, a BTR facility is probably the best option for an intentional renter as they have the “homeowner benefits” of conducting renovations, having pets, etc. whilst having access to facilities like pools and gyms, housing maintenance without extra costs (rent covers it), and the ability to transition to bigger/smaller residences within the facility as needs change.

The only issue I foresee is if the owner sold the apartments, although I’d say most of these companies rely on BTR to provide a steady and predictable income and don’t sell the facilities hastily or very often.

Nathan

#739 Post by Nathan » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:18 pm

Malinauskas hosted a community forum for Bowden/Brompton tonight. Crowd skewed very heavily towards the retiree end, and most of the nights conversation centred around parking, parking, traffic, and parking. Peter's solution (other than building a car park) for a TOD in the middle of a housing affordability crisis is to enforce parking minimums for all developments (so those people who actively choose to live car free and move to a suburb that can allow that? Nope, you have to buy that carpark you won't use!).

A few little tidbits (that aren't necessarily about the Bowden development). Light Rail for Outer Harbour line is dead because it's the most expensive form of transport apparently (don't mention the cost of South Rd...). There's been savings targets with public housing that have been baked in for decades which they're undoing in the next state budget that will allow them to increase supply. Chief St revitalisation is still progressing - first step will be the under grounding of power lines. City of Charles Sturt is still looking at Gibson St between Seventh St and Hawker St.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#740 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:04 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:18 pm
Malinauskas hosted a community forum for Bowden/Brompton tonight. Crowd skewed very heavily towards the retiree end, and most of the nights conversation centred around parking, parking, traffic, and parking. Peter's solution (other than building a car park) for a TOD in the middle of a housing affordability crisis is to enforce parking minimums for all developments (so those people who actively choose to live car free and move to a suburb that can allow that? Nope, you have to buy that carpark you won't use!).

A few little tidbits (that aren't necessarily about the Bowden development). Light Rail for Outer Harbour line is dead because it's the most expensive form of transport apparently (don't mention the cost of South Rd...). There's been savings targets with public housing that have been baked in for decades which they're undoing in the next state budget that will allow them to increase supply. Chief St revitalisation is still progressing - first step will be the under grounding of power lines. City of Charles Sturt is still looking at Gibson St between Seventh St and Hawker St.
Aren't we just so lucky to have such a genius as our Premier! Who needs experts when the smartest man in the room is in charge :roll:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#741 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:59 am

Nathan wrote:
A few little tidbits (that aren't necessarily about the Bowden development). Light Rail for Outer Harbour line is dead because it's the most expensive form of transport apparently (don't mention the cost of South Rd...).
Did you get a sense if this perspective applied to Outer Harbour specifically or to light rail generally? I know the government has indicated no current willingness to pursue tram extensions, but I'd hope that they haven't ruled them out -- particularly within the city/North Adelaide.
Keep Adelaide Weird

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#742 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:30 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:59 am
Nathan wrote:
A few little tidbits (that aren't necessarily about the Bowden development). Light Rail for Outer Harbour line is dead because it's the most expensive form of transport apparently (don't mention the cost of South Rd...).
Did you get a sense if this perspective applied to Outer Harbour specifically or to light rail generally? I know the government has indicated no current willingness to pursue tram extensions, but I'd hope that they haven't ruled them out -- particularly within the city/North Adelaide.
I’ve heard the Member for Adelaide talk about a tram extension to North Adelaide/Prospect, but I wouldn’t hold my breath with this current Premier, he seems to effectively hold veto power over what the government pursues.

Nathan

#743 Post by Nathan » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:53 pm

SRW wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Both. He cited it when talking about the previous idea about converting OH to light rail and being able to implement multiple spurs, but also repeated the comment when talking about public transport in general. He did also say though that light rail is the most expensive, it's also the most popular. He still cites the Port Dock spur and the de-privatisation as them "investing" in public transport.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#744 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:04 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:53 pm
SRW wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Both. He cited it when talking about the previous idea about converting OH to light rail and being able to implement multiple spurs, but also repeated the comment when talking about public transport in general. He did also say though that light rail is the most expensive, it's also the most popular. He still cites the Port Dock spur and the de-privatisation as them "investing" in public transport.
Thanks, though disappointing. About the most (not very) exciting thing to happen with public transport under this government is the commitment to cease procuring diesel buses (though with no firm deadline to transition the whole of the fleet to electric...).
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#745 Post by rev » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:08 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:04 pm
Nathan wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:53 pm
SRW wrote:

Thanks, though disappointing. About the most (not very) exciting thing to happen with public transport under this government is the commitment to cease procuring diesel buses (though with no firm deadline to transition the whole of the fleet to electric...).
How many buses are there in the fleet, and would the electricity network be able to cope with all of them being charged without any upgrades to the network?
This the live market at the moment..
Generation is the top bars, demand below..red line is just where I had the mouse cursor when I took the screengrab.
image_2023-07-06_170750318.png
image_2023-07-06_170750318.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 2400 times

PeFe

#746 Post by PeFe » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:04 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:08 pm
How many buses are there in the fleet, and would the electricity network be able to cope with all of them being charged without any upgrades to the network?
This the live market at the moment..
Generation is the top bars, demand below..red line is just where I had the mouse cursor when I took the screengrab.
I will answer this question in the appropiate thread. I dont want to derail this thread from being about the Bowden TOD.

https://sensational-adelaide.com/forum/ ... start=1125

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#747 Post by rev » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:35 pm

The gas works development has begun, with that huge tent over the top for soil remediation to deal with the contamination.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#748 Post by Mpol02 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:56 am

Very excited for this.

I hope it isn’t as slow as Bowden to finish.

Llessur2002

#749 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:29 am

They're in the process of putting up a second big tent now. Really glad to see some progress on this one!

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#750 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:12 am

Don’t think this one has been posted here yet: https://studionine.net.au/projects/otel ... evelopment