News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#721 Post by rev » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:56 am

Goodsy wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:28 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:35 am
Elvis wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:56 am
I frequent the Plants 3 & 4 quite a bit and normally park in the vacant block on Park Tce next door to it, along with many others.

I saw a sign that an office building was going there which I guess means that parking lot is no longer going to be available.

What are the plans for parking going forward? I know they originally wanted Bowden to be a "no-cars" zone but that just isn't realistic. At any one time there are usually more than 20 cars in that park who would need to find parks elsewhere (and street parking is already difficult) or otherwise they'll just not bother going there anymore.
'No cars' is possible. It's one of the most centralised, accessible locations of Adelaide: train, tram, bus, cycling and pedestrian connections exist. People only travel there via car because it is an option. This option can be restricted to force behaviours to adapt, or else it will become culturally difficult to encourage future change.
No cars is possible, but no trucks isn't. A lot of Bowden is DHA, every Christmas when service members get relocated there are removalist trucks all over Bowden.
That's interesting.
I would have thought DHA would have looked at the housing developments in the north close to the base rather then Bowden.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#722 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:56 pm

Goodsy wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Elvis wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:56 am
I frequent the Plants 3 & 4 quite a bit and normally park in the vacant block on Park Tce next door to it, along with many others.

I saw a sign that an office building was going there which I guess means that parking lot is no longer going to be available.

What are the plans for parking going forward? I know they originally wanted Bowden to be a "no-cars" zone but that just isn't realistic. At any one time there are usually more than 20 cars in that park who would need to find parks elsewhere (and street parking is already difficult) or otherwise they'll just not bother going there anymore.
'No cars' is possible. It's one of the most centralised, accessible locations of Adelaide: train, tram, bus, cycling and pedestrian connections exist. People only travel there via car because it is an option. This option can be restricted to force behaviours to adapt, or else it will become culturally difficult to encourage future change.
No cars is possible, but no trucks isn't. A lot of Bowden is DHA, every Christmas when service members get relocated there are removalist trucks all over Bowden.
This is pretty fair and reasonable. Filling a TOD with dumped parked cars isn't.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nathan

#723 Post by Nathan » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:18 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:56 pm
Goodsy wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:

This is pretty fair and reasonable. Filling a TOD with dumped parked cars isn't.
I'd like to see some dedicated truck loading bays dotted around for delivery vans and removalists. At the moment, removalists in the area are generally awful — often parking on clear yellow lines and across garage doors of neighbouring buildings. Treat it completely different than other street parking. (Also, Uber drivers who choose the two spots on Sixth St with a tree in the middle of the road as the spot to stop blocking everyone behind them... ugh)

rev

#724 Post by rev » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:01 am

Nathan wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:18 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Goodsy wrote:

I'd like to see some dedicated truck loading bays dotted around for delivery vans and removalists. At the moment, removalists in the area are generally awful — often parking on clear yellow lines and across garage doors of neighbouring buildings. Treat it completely different than other street parking. (Also, Uber drivers who choose the two spots on Sixth St with a tree in the middle of the road as the spot to stop blocking everyone behind them... ugh)
Take photos.
Send to council.
Best outcome, council posts out fines.
Average outcome, council posts out cautions.
Worst(unlikely) outcome, council ignores you.

Nathan

#725 Post by Nathan » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:35 am

rev wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:01 am
Nathan wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:

Take photos.
Send to council.
Council won't do anything if you just submit a report or photos. Have been told they'll only send someone out if you call and sit on the phone while they dispatch so they can be sure the person doesn't leave before they get there and waste their time (which doesn't help when you're trying to do school drop off and some dipshit removalist has decided in front of your garage door is the ideal location to start unloading)

rev

#726 Post by rev » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:02 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:35 am
rev wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:01 am
Nathan wrote:

Take photos.
Send to council.
Council won't do anything if you just submit a report or photos. Have been told they'll only send someone out if you call and sit on the phone while they dispatch so they can be sure the person doesn't leave before they get there and waste their time (which doesn't help when you're trying to do school drop off and some dipshit removalist has decided in front of your garage door is the ideal location to start unloading)
They have inspectors that are driving around all day enforcing bylaws and issuing infringements.
Maybe get in touch with your local wards councillor or member of parliament?

Nathan

#727 Post by Nathan » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:41 am

Couple of new developments, both designed by SMF Architects.

1. 12 storey mixed used building next to Park Central, overlooking Park Tce. It will cover up the fire mural.
298071416_1209996659545389_199944957913759528_n.jpg

2. 5 storey commercial building on the remaining lot alongside the train station. This one is up on the commercial real estate sites.
https://www.realcommercial.com.au/for-l ... -504217688

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#728 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:21 pm

I like both. Are plans out for the proposal for the current car parking site next to plant four?

Nathan

#729 Post by Nathan » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:16 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:21 pm
I like both. Are plans out for the proposal for the current car parking site next to plant four?
Are you talking about this lot? It's still for sale, so a way off from seeing plans for the site. It better not be the location for Mali's car park — it's a far too important location (prime unblocked views over Bowden Park, high pedestrian zone between Plant 4 and the train/tram) to be just parking. It needs to be a similar equivalent to 354 but perhaps mixed use.

Adjacent to that is 6 Park Tce, which is leasing tenancies, and must be due to start construction soon.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#730 Post by SRW » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:34 pm

Decent looking proposals, hopefully soon to action. Feels like things are moving glacially there.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#731 Post by Vasco » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:31 am

Since there is great PT access in the area, coupled with limited parking and highish density population (Adelaide wise).
This should really be a test site for a high intensity car share program possibly sponsored/operated by State Govt / RAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan

#732 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:44 am

Vasco wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:31 am
Since there is great PT access in the area, coupled with limited parking and highish density population (Adelaide wise).
This should really be a test site for a high intensity car share program possibly sponsored/operated by State Govt / RAA.

We've had GoGet cars in the area, but it's only have been a few vehicles, and hasn't really caught on unfortunately.

SBD

#733 Post by SBD » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:17 am

Nathan wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:44 am
Vasco wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:31 am

We've had GoGet cars in the area, but it's only have been a few vehicles, and hasn't really caught on unfortunately.
I suspect it's another chicken/egg problem. If people are moving from the suburbs and already have entrenched car-use patterns, there would be a big cognitive shift to give up your personal car. For other people, what's the advantage of a GoGet car compared to a taxi or Uber? Young people still need to get a driving licence to be able to use GoGet,

PeFe

#734 Post by PeFe » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:27 am

Build-to-rent proposal for Bowden.

From Urban Developer
Sentinel Announces SA Build-to-Rent Project

Build-to-rent giant Sentinel has won the contract to develop South Australia’s first project in that sector.

The Australian arm of the US company announced that it would deliver 250 premium and sustainable build-to-rent units at the 4000sq m site at Lots 49 and 50 on Third Street in the Bowden Precinct.

Sentinel will own and manage the units under its Kinleaf property management brand.

It will target an 8-star NATHERS rating and a minimum 5-star Green Star rating from the Green Building Council Australia.

More than 250 jobs are expected to be created as part of the project.

Bowden Precinct is the SA government’s first higher density urban infill revitalisation project.

The 16ha precinct 2.5km from the Adelaide CBD has been earmarked to become a vibrant inner-city destination with more than 3000 residents during the next few years.

The precinct is designed to have safe and walkable neighbourhoods with roads for pedestrians and cyclists. There is also a focus on sustainable and energy-efficient housing, public transport connections, and green and open public spaces.

Renewal SA manages and has oversight over the project.

Sentinel has delivered a number of build-to-rent projects in Australia including the Element27 project at Subiaco in WA, and has projects under way in Queensland and Victoria.

Renewal SA chief executive Chris Menz said that the project would help with the current housing crisis.

“Not only will it deliver greater choice and a more professionally managed and transparent rental experience for tenants, it will also free up availability in other housing segments that are currently oversaturated,” Menz said.

South Australian housing and urban development minister Nick Champion agreed.

“The build-to-rent sector is emerging as another way to help address housing shortages and ease the rental squeeze—and it’s great to see such a major global property player back Bowden as the place to do just that,” Champion said.

https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/artic ... ld-to-rent

Nathan

#735 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:14 am

This is an important lot to get right, given its location overlooking Bowden Town Square and being the link between the train station and Town Square / Plant 4 along two sides. Hopefully we see a high standard of architecture, and most importantly, good street level with commercial tenancies.