News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#691 Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:13 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:49 pm
Wouldn't be surprised if the final outcome is something entirely symbolic like MAB dedicate an extra 5% to green space and create a small grass park or something similarly pointless.
The MAB plan did have a decent percentage of "green space", just not the flat open field of grass kind. "Kicking a football" seems to be the only thing some politicians think outdoor space is for.
(And as for a playground, I guess the one I can see from my balcony is just a mirage.)

Llessur2002

#692 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:50 am

My kids can kick a football perfectly well in a space much smaller than an Oval - I have various broken items around my house which support this claim.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#693 Post by NTRabbit » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:07 pm

There was a rumour that MAB were pulling out of the process as a result of their plans to sell

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#694 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:34 pm

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#695 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:37 pm

“An increase of open space from 25 to 30 per cent” the exact token gesture I predicted to save face for Mali.

Nathan

#696 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:30 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:37 pm
“An increase of open space from 25 to 30 per cent” the exact token gesture I predicted to save face for Mali.
"Fit a football goal in there somewhere, and we're good"

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#697 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:42 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:30 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:37 pm
"Fit a football goal in there somewhere, and we're good"
Haha yep. Now watch him sell this as a “victory” for the government.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#698 Post by A-Town » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:12 pm

An embarrassing waste of time for Mali and the state.

SBD

#699 Post by SBD » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:11 pm

A-Town wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:12 pm
I'm puzzled I haven't heard any comment about why they needed an American company to review the decision to accept a Victorian company over a South Australian sporting team (with Victorian backing I think).

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#700 Post by A-Town » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:12 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:11 pm
A-Town wrote:
I'm puzzled I haven't heard any comment about why they needed an American company to review the decision to accept a Victorian company over a South Australian sporting team (with Victorian backing I think).
Yes, the hypocrisy is outrageous. Our pathetic short-sighted politicians are the reason why so many call SA a pissant state.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#701 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:42 pm

SBD wrote:
A-Town wrote:
In the scheme of things who cares that much about who did the review. The real issue is it never should've happened and wouldn't have if Mali had actually listened to the expert advice, rather than taking a phony populist approach and then having to follow through with this pointless review to save face or supposedly "fulfill an election commitment" :roll:

SBD

#702 Post by SBD » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:18 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:42 pm
SBD wrote:
A-Town wrote:
In the scheme of things who cares that much about who did the review. The real issue is it never should've happened and wouldn't have if Mali had actually listened to the expert advice, rather than taking a phony populist approach and then having to follow through with this pointless review to save face or supposedly "fulfill an election commitment" :roll:
I wouldn't have cared as much if the ALP opposition hadn't made so much issue about the Victorian developer having won the contract. I expected them to make a point of using an SA company for the review.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#703 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:32 pm

SBD wrote:
A-Town wrote:
It's a bit of hyperbole or clickbait really, AECOM is a multinational with a strong presence in Australia and a decent sized office in Adelaide near the top of Westpac House, and they've consulted on SA public works for decades. It's about as out of the ordinary as the government getting a financial review of something done by KPMG.

Nathan

#704 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:50 pm

Agreement reached for MAB to proceed with the Gasworks development.

https://renewalsa.sa.gov.au/news/develo ... is+secured

Remediation starting early next year, will take 24 months. First stage construction starting 2025.

Key highlights of the landmark development include:
  • More than 800 new homes made up of approximately 200 townhouses and 600 apartments, including a commitment to deliver more than 15% affordable housing via partnerships with groups like not-for-profit housing provider Nightingale, and aspirations to target build-to-rent opportunities
  • The adaptive reuse and restoration of former Gasworks structures including the iconic chimney stack, Chief Street wall and heritage-listed Retort House into a vibrant Heritage Quarter, which will include a bevy of bars, cafes and restaurants, commercial office space, and a 120-room hotel
  • An average of 190 South Australian construction jobs supported per year over a projected 12-year development lifecycle, with an expected 310 jobs on site during the peak year and a further 730-1,000 ongoing jobs once the project is complete
  • Around 1.5 hectares of high-quality, publicly accessible open space for people to relax, meet, exercise and play, equating to more than 25% of the project site, and substantial investment committed to public infrastructure
  • A 6 Star Green Star Communities certified rating across the development, which represents ‘World Leadership’ in environmentally sustainable practices
  • Seamless integration with the existing Bowden project including open space connections, bike paths and walkways that connect with Adelaide’s Green Way network.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#705 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:03 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:50 pm
Agreement reached for MAB to proceed with the Gasworks development.

https://renewalsa.sa.gov.au/news/develo ... is+secured

Remediation starting early next year, will take 24 months. First stage construction starting 2025.

Key highlights of the landmark development include:
  • More than 800 new homes made up of approximately 200 townhouses and 600 apartments, including a commitment to deliver more than 15% affordable housing via partnerships with groups like not-for-profit housing provider Nightingale, and aspirations to target build-to-rent opportunities
  • The adaptive reuse and restoration of former Gasworks structures including the iconic chimney stack, Chief Street wall and heritage-listed Retort House into a vibrant Heritage Quarter, which will include a bevy of bars, cafes and restaurants, commercial office space, and a 120-room hotel
  • An average of 190 South Australian construction jobs supported per year over a projected 12-year development lifecycle, with an expected 310 jobs on site during the peak year and a further 730-1,000 ongoing jobs once the project is complete
  • Around 1.5 hectares of high-quality, publicly accessible open space for people to relax, meet, exercise and play, equating to more than 25% of the project site, and substantial investment committed to public infrastructure
  • A 6 Star Green Star Communities certified rating across the development, which represents ‘World Leadership’ in environmentally sustainable practices
  • Seamless integration with the existing Bowden project including open space connections, bike paths and walkways that connect with Adelaide’s Green Way network.

Got there in the end. Shame a year was wasted for no good reason.