News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#661 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:25 am

I wonder if COVID may have impacted this. I'm an avid public transport fan - one of the reasons we moved to Croydon was the great access to public transport and over the first 5 years or so that we lived there we only put around 2-3000 km on our car's odometer per year. However since COVID I've tended to be a lot more cautious around public transport, especially around taking the unvaccinated/unmasked kids on peak hour services. Unfortunately the car gets used most days now and we've even hung onto the cheap second car we picked up when family visited from overseas earlier in the year as it's proving useful occasionally.

I really hope to be able to rely more on public transport soon - I'd be a lot less adverse to it at the moment if there weren't so many unmasked and obviously symptomatic people using the train.
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Shuz]

#662 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:26 am

Modbury_Man wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:00 pm
Nathan wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:54 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:48 pm
I've become sadly disappointed by how Bowden has panned out over the past years. The few times I have ventured through, it has been covered in cars.
It's my biggest disappointment too. Far too many residents park a second vehicle permanently on the street. And discussion about any development amongst the community almost always comes back to car parking and traffic (and even when the building explicitly doesn't have parking like Nightingale you get the usual "but I need a car, so I expect everyone does" arguments).
Agree. Is it in part that people feel they still need that second car? Its incredibly hard to get by PT to some important shopping precincts very close to Bowden e.g. Prospect, Brickworks.

I've always wondered if some inner suburban bus route could assist with these connections...like the 300 Suburban Connector bus but say Bowden - Prospect - Walkerville - Kent Town - Fullarton Rd - Greenhill Rd - Railway Tce - Brickworks - Bowden
I already emailed the previous transport minister about this idea of an inner circle and he said the department has ruled it out as they don't think its viable. I'd like to know what modelling they've done because it definitely would be used for short journey trips.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#663 Post by Nathan » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:03 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:25 am
I wonder if COVID may have impacted this. I'm an avid public transport fan - one of the reasons we moved to Croydon was the great access to public transport and over the first 5 years or so that we lived there we only put around 2-3000 km on our car's odometer per year. However since COVID I've tended to be a lot more cautious around public transport, especially around taking the unvaccinated/unmasked kids on peak hour services. Unfortunately the car gets used most days now and we've even hung onto the cheap second car we picked up when family visited from overseas earlier in the year as it's proving useful occasionally.

I really hope to be able to rely more on public transport soon - I'd be a lot less adverse to it at the moment if there weren't so many unmasked and obviously symptomatic people using the train.
It feels very route dependent. I've found people on the Botanic tram are generally pretty good with mask wearing, but the Glenelg line is a free-for-all.

Our biggest "forced" car use thing at the moment is school drop-off. Really want to get back to riding to the school, but the Torrens Rd works have made that far too dangerous. Once the pathways under the overpass are open though that'll make it infinitely easier.

Llessur2002

#664 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:18 pm

Until the last week or two the OH/Grange lines have been really poor in terms of mask compliance - I'd estimate around 40-50% of people have not been not wearing one on the peak services (maybe higher when there's groups of school kids on board). More recently however this does seem to have improved, maybe the current and well-publicised peaking of case numbers has been a driver here as there's certainly no active enforcement of it. Why they can't run a reminder announcement on the PA after each station stop is a mystery to me.

Cycling has become logistically difficult lately as we've now got two kids to ferry around in the mornings, with Child 1 going one direction and Child 2 going the other. Having at least one of us working from home on any given day also means a drop-off is no longer en-route to the office for one of us, plus who's doing what and where tends to change a lot more from day to day than it did pre-COVID. Lots of little changes like this have just made it easier to chuck the offspring in the car and get it over and done with quickly. I do feel guilty about it though and am determined for it not to become a long-term shift in my behaviour.

GreenMan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#665 Post by GreenMan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:57 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:18 pm
Until the last week or two the OH/Grange lines have been really poor in terms of mask compliance - I'd estimate around 40-50% of people have not been not wearing one on the peak services (maybe higher when there's groups of school kids on board). More recently however this does seem to have improved, maybe the current and well-publicised peaking of case numbers has been a driver here as there's certainly no active enforcement of it. Why they can't run a reminder announcement on the PA after each station stop is a mystery to me.
As a driver I must say that mask compliance has been absolutely pathetic on passenger transport.
If the government isn’t going to do anything to enforce the mask wearing mandate on public transport then they might as well make it voluntary.

I ve been sick a few times this year and I am pretty sure this has been a result of people not wearing masks when I’ve been at work. I am sick to death of it.

Llessur2002

#666 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:01 pm

The new Nightingale building is getting a lick of paint. I like this one...

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#667 Post by Pistol » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:39 pm

Thanks Llessur2002.

I love this building! The colour and texture really add an extra dimension to it.
Run past it frequently and have to stop and look each time.

Bring on more of this in the burbs
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#668 Post by SRW » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:50 pm

Thanks for the photos. It actually looks much nicer than the renders.
Keep Adelaide Weird

JK99
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#669 Post by JK99 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:01 pm

Thanks for the photos. I've bought one of the Town Houses in the foreground. Living interstate I don't get to see the updates.

Should we have had word now on the Gasworks redevelopment, didn't they say end of July?

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#670 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:15 pm

The idiotic saga we didn’t need to have continues: https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2022/ ... -drags-on/

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#671 Post by eKwatee » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:15 pm
The idiotic saga we didn’t need to have continues: https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2022/ ... -drags-on/
Yep, If I was a larger developer/investor, I would avoid South Australia like the plague. We really are a joke when it comes to planning.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#672 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:33 pm

eKwatee wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:15 pm
Yep, If I was a larger developer/investor, I would avoid South Australia like the plague. We really are a joke when it comes to planning.
The Premier needs to learn he’s not always the smartest person in the room and stop the pseudo populist bullshit.

Nathan

#673 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:30 pm

My guess is that the "complex issues" holding up the review, are that the review isn't giving the result Mali was hoping.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#674 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:18 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:30 pm
My guess is that the "complex issues" holding up the review, are that the review isn't giving the result Mali was hoping.
Hah yep! Has there been any consultation among Bowden residents on what they want? I’m guessing not - Mali knows best, of course.

Nathan

#675 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:45 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:18 pm
Nathan wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:30 pm
Hah yep! Has there been any consultation among Bowden residents on what they want? I’m guessing not - Mali knows best, of course.
From Malinauskas? None that I'm aware of. RenewalSA previously held consultation over a couple of years, which technically went out the window when they decided to off-load the land — but MABs proposal is fairly in line with the outcome of that consultation as it turned out.

I've twice written to him (both prior to the election) but on neither occasion did I receive any acknowledgement that he had even received them, let alone a response. I know I'm not the only local who did so either, so every time the government trots out the "widespread community disappointment" in the Crows being snubbed, I'm left bemused as to who they're getting that feedback from.