Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Would you support a bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games?

Yes, it would be great for the city
46%
No, waste of money
24%
Not 2018, but 2022 or 2026
30%

Total votes: 104

Will409
Legendary Member!

Re: Poll pledge: Libs would bid for 2018 Commonwealth Games

#31 Post by Will409 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:06 pm

I'm surprised that they are having a go at our trams considering that they are planning of getting trams themselves!
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:20 pm

Well the Gold Coast doesn't have a hope in hell in getttng them anyway, plus 'Let Adelaide crow about OUR pandas'?!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:23 pm

Jealousy... :wank:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by Will » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:19 pm

:wank:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by AtD » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:32 pm

The News Ltd papers are playing each other off. Who needs real news when you can make it? Ah... journalism.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by Will » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:43 pm

SA may be the home of Alexander Downer, but Queensland is the home of Pauline Hanson and One Nation....

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#37 Post by Shuz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:53 pm

And this is coming from the people of the place where the sun sets at 3pm in the afternoon?

I'll take Glenelg's sunny days over that thanks!

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Somebody » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:00 pm

The Gold Coast is one of those places that has been spoilt by the development and the number of tourists. Hardly any natural beauty. I'd rather live in Adelaide, although presently I live in neither.

I doubt that they are jealous of Adelaide, BTW Harvey ;)
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#39 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Well I'm starting to think differently of tacky central (Gold Coast).

All because we apparently stole their pandas, have they ever used their brains to realise that maybe Adelaide Zoo was a better location and now we are trying to take their games. Right :wank:

I will go off my head if I see this on the front page or even a article about this in the tiser tomorrow.

I would much prefer to live in a so called dull city then the Gold Coast, plus I would much rather having Alexander Downer living here compared to Wayne Capper.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#40 Post by Cruise » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:28 pm

If you hate the Gold Coast now due to an article in their paper that is a resonably immature thing to do.

Do you also hate Sydney because of that politician that said Adelaide was boring? Due you hate Victoria because of when Brumby said Adelaide was a backwater?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:41 pm

I think I need some time to cool off :P

Let's ask the soon to arrive Panda Bears which is the better place for them to live? the City of Adelaide, or some tacky tourist strip? As for Glynnis Kearns, I heard you on 5AA the other day talking about how great your days were at 5DN and in Adelaide.
Posted by: wendy of fulham 1:29pm today
:lol:

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by Jim » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:01 pm

From $1 billion to $2 billion in just one day! SA needs this like a hole in the head. We need a mining lead recovery not a $2 billion sports circus. SA must keep investing in wealth generating infrastructure to get our mining boom off the ground. We need port upgrades, rail links, desalination plants, solar thermal and geothermal power plants, a new power interconnector from Roxby to Queensland, new hospitals and regional development. When we are in the fortunate position of WA we may be able to consider these things. Even then why do we have to follow others? $2billion would be best spent on something that makes Adelaide different and unique not the same as other State capitals.

ProgMetal
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#43 Post by ProgMetal » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:51 pm

Cruise wrote:If you hate the Gold Coast now due to an article in their paper that is a resonably immature thing to do.

Do you also hate Sydney because of that politician that said Adelaide was boring? Due you hate Victoria because of when Brumby said Adelaide was a backwater?
The unfortunate fact is that our eastern states cousins do in fact perceive our fair city as boring...almost universally. Don't hate them for it because there is some truth to it. Having said this, the reason I'm here is because it is a good place to live compared with the terribly tacky Gold Coast and impersonal, rat-race Sydney! On the boring front, Adelaide does have a lot of work to do to address perceptions of the place.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#44 Post by adam73837 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:10 pm

Having been to the Gold Coast for a holiday recently, I can see why they perceive Adelaide as boring. Gold Coast has their huge apartment towers; we have the Westpac House. Gold Coast has their surfing hot spots; we have Glenelg that is having its strings pulled by retirement home residents. Gold Coast has its theme parks; we have the Royal Adelside Show that seems to have more ride incidents every year. Gold Coast has its well-known climate; we have an unpredictable one.
HOWEVER.
Adelaide has a half-decent PT system; Gold Coast doesn't. Adelaide has the famous Adelaide Oval that is soon to receive another upgrade; Gold Coast has Carrara Oval that would need to be upgraded quite a bit to host the Commonwealth Games. Adelaide has... That's all I can really think of other than the fact that Adelaide is a nice place to live. There are quite a few other reasons, but I don't know if they'll really add up. Can someone tell me?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#45 Post by jk1237 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:28 pm

There is one other important reason - employment. Glitzy seaside tourist towns do not have a reliable source of employment. Its full of part-time, low wage, no-education needed, seasonal employment to cater for tourists and retirees. I think you will find the u/e rate to be quite higher up there, even considering a much lower labour force particpation rate. Many people would prob commute to Brisbane each day.

Adelaide, with 3 large universities (and a huge internationall student pop), a major player in research & development, defence, biotechnology stuff, manufacturing, and many other back office employment, and arts, utterly shits a hundred times over that place they call the Gold Coast for living. However, pictures of a line of tall apartment towers by the water sells tourism brochures, whereas Adelaide in winter time just doesnt sell it, even though we could - with some effort

Sand, sun, surf and fun parks are good for holidays and thats about it IMO