News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1606 Post by bits » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:57 pm

PeFe wrote:2021
And just imagine the value when it is 2022. Whenever that is!

bits
Legendary Member!

#1607 Post by bits » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:21 pm

I am not against the current fare prices at all.
But I am against what looks like silly money grabs. Like forcing everyone over 5 to pay $10 to ride the bus is pretty steep when a child's ticket is advertised as $1.35/$1.05.

It is steeper for a family or tourists where that money grab is multiplied for every member in the group.

Why is a parent or tourist paying 2-9x as much as the actual advertised price of fares?
Are we trying to keep parents and tourists off public transport?

The penalty for a causal user is extremely high and I just can't see a compelling reason for why it should be that way.
There was never a penalty with paper tickets.
And there is technology that makes this easy to fix.

The first step is to get rid of the $5 physical card that many will never use again.
Melbourne already has that with virtual myki.
Adelaide is starting that via nft payment but it has huge holes still.
Virtual card and nft also removes the silly hurdle of prior planning and purchases being required to use public transport.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1608 Post by Spotto » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:23 pm

bits wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:21 pm
The first step is to get rid of the $5 physical card that many will never use again.
Either you’re playing dumb, or it’s not an act...

Even with Melbourne using virtual myki and other cities accepting eftpos, people still use and need physical cards for many reasons. Preference, easier use, etc. Getting rid of physical cards will never happen unless a new better style of ticketing that is capable of fully replacing it is developed.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#1609 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:37 pm

bits wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:21 pm
I am not against the current fare prices at all.
But I am against what looks like silly money grabs. Like forcing everyone over 5 to pay $10 to ride the bus is pretty steep when a child's ticket is advertised as $1.35/$1.05.

It is steeper for a family or tourists where that money grab is multiplied for every member in the group.

Why is a parent or tourist paying 2-9x as much as the actual advertised price of fares?
Are we trying to keep parents and tourists off public transport?

The penalty for a causal user is extremely high and I just can't see a compelling reason for why it should be that way.
There was never a penalty with paper tickets.
And there is technology that makes this easy to fix.

Melbourne already has that with virtual myki.
Adelaide is starting that via nft payment but it has huge holes still.
Virtual card and nft also removes the silly hurdle of prior planning and purchases being required to use public transport.
The cost fo a single trip with a metrocard is only $10 if you never take another trip with it. The cost per trip is only $5 iyou take a second trip and only $3.33 if you take a third trip. Also a student metrocard costs $3.50 not $5. The withdrawal of paper ticket sales on buses was one of the measures to protect against COVID.

It is worth considering that the provision of onboard ticket machines was a relatively simple task due to the roomier interiors of the trams or trains and the smaller fleets of vehicles, 24 trams and 136 railcars, compared with ~1100 buses.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1610 Post by bits » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:39 am

PD2/20 wrote: The cost fo a single trip with a metrocard is only $10 if you never take another trip with it. The cost per trip is only $5 iyou take a second trip and only $3.33 if you take a third trip. Also a student metrocard costs $3.50 not $5. The withdrawal of paper ticket sales on buses was one of the measures to protect against COVID.
I haven't been on a bus in about 15 years.
It would be safe to assume the metrocard may never be used again. For a tourist they may never be back within Adelaide Metros foot print again.
You are describing that the price with metrocard becomes fair if you are a frequent user but unfair if you are a casual user. This is probably why Adelaide metro doesn't recommend Metrocard for casual users and instead says the best option is paper tickets.
I can get an uber cheaper than I can get a bus with metrocard. I can get 3 ubers with my kids much much cheaper than I can ride the bus 3 times with my kids. That is the economics of things once you are paying 2-9x as much as you should be due to current system. And I didn't need to preplan and purchase a silly physical card.

Are you suggesting that paper ticket sales on buses are to return once the main covid-19 concern passes?
That would be nice but they do need to start accepting eft/nft payments also.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#1611 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:27 pm

I have physical transport cards for London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Gold Coast, Sydney and Melbourne. Tourists will buy them and use them, even if the odds of them being used again are low.

A metro card costs $5, with each subsequent trip being $3.95.
A metroticket is $5.80.

Make 3 trips with a Metrocard and you're ahead, even if those trips are 15 years apart....
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1612 Post by Spotto » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:56 pm

bits wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:39 am
PD2/20 wrote: The cost fo a single trip with a metrocard is only $10 if you never take another trip with it. The cost per trip is only $5 iyou take a second trip and only $3.33 if you take a third trip. Also a student metrocard costs $3.50 not $5. The withdrawal of paper ticket sales on buses was one of the measures to protect against COVID.
I haven't been on a bus in about 15 years.
It would be safe to assume the metrocard may never be used again.
If you haven’t been on a bus in 15 years, how would you even know?

You’ve come on here and made it evident you have zero idea how the system works and refuse to adapt to the metrocard system, sticking your head in the ground complaining that paper tickets were vastly better.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1613 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:36 pm

Not that you had much credibility before, but you now have zero credibility given that you're proclaiming to be an armchair expert on something that you haven't used in 15 years. You're a running joke. Honestly, give it up already.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1614 Post by bits » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:11 pm

Thanks for the kind attacks.
It is always so refreshing to hear your personal attacks rather rather than attempt to address what I said.

I didn't claim to be an expert. I asked a simple question about if a parent could purchase multiple tickets on a bus again. Because I am not an expert on public transport but I assumed there is users here that are.
You and a few others "asked" me to elaborate. It wasn't asked nicely, it was instead an attack from the very first response. But it at least showed me what to expect from "public transport enthusiasts".
So I did elaborate.

-this started with news Adelaide metro is spending millions to allow users to board without metrocards.
-I now know that the new validators will not offer the ability to buy multiple tickets with a single card
-I now know where that new ticketing will be available, boarding without a metrocard will cost less than with a metrocard unless you want to buy concession or 28 day pass ticket.
-I now know all tickets, including concession and 28 day pass, without a physical public transit card was already possible in the closest city Melbourne
-I believe there should be more done to continue to improve ticketing. In particular in multi ticket sales for ease of access to public transport.
-You believe the current system is good. In particular Adelaide metro and any limits that exist may be similar to systems currently in place in some other cities. This means Adelaide Metro does not need any changes.

I have the info I need.
I think you can understand what I was asking.

I am fine at leaving it at that.

Enjoy your public transporting.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1615 Post by Spotto » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:09 pm

Bits, you first asked if a validator can be used to purchase a ticket. Validators are not ticket machines.

Then you said that not being able to cover multiple passengers on a single Metrocard or eftpos fare (for a friend or family member) was a problem that paper tickets never had. They never had it because buying more than one person’s fare on a single regular ticket is impossible and never existed.

Then you complained about not being able to buy a paper ticket on a bus (fair enough) but ignored that fact that it’s super easy to buy a Metrocard and recharge it in advance so that it's ready for use on a whim; it’s apparently too hard. And you ignored the fact that Metrocard fares are cheaper than ticket fares, conflating the cost of charging a Metrocard with the cost of a single fare.

Then you admitted that your kids are under 5, so needing to pay for multiple fares is a problem that doesn’t even exist for you yet, AND then admitted you haven’t used public transport in 15 years. Which explains why you're getting so mixed up.

With all of your misguided “intelligent conversation” you’ve claimed that “the current system is terrible”. But, your only legitimate concerns were that you can’t use eftpos to buy a paper ticket on buses anymore, and that a virtual Metrocard doesn’t exist yet. The entire rest of your conversation has been complaining about a system you haven’t used in 15 years and know absolutely zero about, but you claim is broken.

Users are not attacking you, they're just telling you what the reality is. Whether you choose to believe or refuse it is entirely up to you, but just because you think the system it broken doesn't mean that it actually is. There are problems with Adelaide Metro, the fundamental way ticketing works is not one of them.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1616 Post by Westside » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:31 am

So, those buses on rails eh?...

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1617 Post by Eurostar » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:10 pm

The expansion of the Tea Tree Plaza Park ‘n’ Ride 🚗 ➡️ 🚌 will increase the number of parking spaces in the interchange precinct from 500 to around 1,200.

Concept images of the expanded car park have now been released and you can find out more at the community information drop-in session this weekend.

Meet the project team at any time from 10am to midday on Saturday, 13 August at Sfera's Park Suites and Convention Centre, 191 Reservoir Road, Modbury.

You can also find out more about the project online at www.dit.sa.gov.au/ttppnr.

Construction is expected to get underway later in the year. 🏗️ 🔜 To stay up to date as the project progresses, sign up for updates directly to your inbox at https://bit.ly/3SGI5Ow

City of Tea Tree Gully

PeFe

#1618 Post by PeFe » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:11 pm

So what about the hundreds of buses that go further than TTP?

Are they a waste of time?

Is the state government turning the Obahn into a park'n'ride to the the north eastern suburbs?

Should all buses just terminate at TTP?

What should be done if the ridership falls off a cliff past TTP?

bits
Legendary Member!

#1619 Post by bits » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:09 pm

PeFe wrote:So what about the hundreds of buses that go further than TTP?

Is the state government turning the Obahn into a park'n'ride to the the north eastern suburbs?

A new multi level park n ride carpark with 450 spaces was opened in Golden Grove a few months ago.

Those 450 spaces are free 24/7

https://youtu.be/YxPouhPmjgo

SBD

#1620 Post by SBD » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:01 pm

bits wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:09 pm
PeFe wrote:So what about the hundreds of buses that go further than TTP?

A new multi level park n ride carpark with 450 spaces was opened in Golden Grove a few months ago.

Those 450 spaces are free 24/7

https://youtu.be/YxPouhPmjgo
There are clearly already issues with parking in the TTP precinct: The shopping centre wants to charge for parking to stop people using its car park all day, and the premier stepped in to prevent it, at the same time he wants the nearby hospital staff to have to pay to park near their work, even if public transport desn't operate on their timetable. This appears to be the council trying to discourage commuters from parking on residential streets.