News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

#1486 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:09 pm

200 park carpark for Bowden... :wallbash:
Project pipeline revealed to unlock more affordable housing
https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/media-rel ... le-housing

The Malinauskas Government has revealed five new housing projects intended to deliver hundreds of affordable houses across Adelaide.
The projects – at Bowden, Playford and Prospect – are among the first tranche of SA Government projects to be submitted for support through the $10 billion Housing Australia Future Fund. The National Housing Accord seeks to build one million new homes across Australia from mid-2024.

The Commonwealth is seeking to partner with states and territories to deliver 50,000 new social and affordable homes across Australia from 2024.

South Australia is committed to a pipeline of affordable housing projects, providing the expertise of Renewal SA and land for developments, to partner with community housing providers, developers, and builders to get more South Australians into housing sooner.

The state government is working closely with the Federal Government to progress the following projects:

Bowden (Second St) – 36 new affordable rental apartments
  • Building construction targeted to start by the end of 2024 paving the way for residents to move in by the end of 2025.
  • Similar mixed ownership model to neighbouring development, Nightingale Bowden which focused on providing affordable rental and purchase housing for South Australians close to the CBD and public transport
Bowden (Third St) – 60 new affordable rental apartments
  • Building construction targeted to start by mid-2024 paving the way for residents to move in by mid-2025.
  • Will include around 200 public and private carparking replacing the temporary on grade car parking at Bowden
  • Affordable rentals for South Australians
Prospect (Churchill / Regency Rd) – two separate and well-located buildings, 72 new affordable rentals
  • Building construction targeted to start by the end of 2024 paving the way for residents to move in by the end of 2025.
Playford Alive (Newton Blvd) – 249 new homes
  • Home construction targeted to start in the second half of 2024 paving the way for residents to move in by the end of 2025.
  • Includes target of 65 per cent affordable properties.
These projects are in addition to more public homes and the 23,700 allotments already announced.

They are intended to increase affordable housing for young families, single parents, older women, retirees and essential workers.

The projects will help ease pressure on the market, while contributing towards $965 million in additional housing construction activity across South Australia.

The projects are early priorities identified under the Housing Accord, with more set to be identified in due course in conjunction with the Commonwealth and community housing providers.

Affordable rentals use income-based rent capped at 75 per cent of market rent for a property.

Affordable homes are available exclusively to eligible buyers earning less than $130,000 per year as a couple or family, or $100,000 as a single person.

The current price point for affordable homes is $417,000-$479,000 in Greater Adelaide.

Quotes

Attributable to Peter Malinauskas
My government is taking action to address the housing crisis on every front.
For too long, too many South Australians have watched the prospect of a secure home drift further and further away.
This major commitment to delivering affordable homes for purchase and rental will provide more people with the opportunity to enter the market.

Attributable to Stephen Mullighan
In its October budget the Commonwealth asked states to put forward projects for support under the $10 billion Housing Australia Fund.
We are ready to deliver these projects after doing the detailed work early, to position SA as a frontrunner for new investment.
We are already working closely with the federal government to progress these projects, to deliver more affordable housing.

Attributable to Nick Champion
We are pulling every lever to make housing more accessible to more South Australians.
Too many find themselves locked out of a market under immense pressure – which is why we are getting to work on these projects as soon as possible.
This massive supply boost aimed at those who need it most will help put a roof over their heads and realise their goal of long-term housing security.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#1487 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:41 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:09 pm
200 park carpark for Bowden... :wallbash:
Project pipeline revealed to unlock more affordable housing
https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/media-rel ... le-housing

The Malinauskas Government has revealed five new housing projects intended to deliver hundreds of affordable houses across Adelaide.
The projects – at Bowden, Playford and Prospect – are among the first tranche of SA Government projects to be submitted for support through the $10 billion Housing Australia Future Fund. The National Housing Accord seeks to build one million new homes across Australia from mid-2024.

The Commonwealth is seeking to partner with states and territories to deliver 50,000 new social and affordable homes across Australia from 2024.

South Australia is committed to a pipeline of affordable housing projects, providing the expertise of Renewal SA and land for developments, to partner with community housing providers, developers, and builders to get more South Australians into housing sooner.

The state government is working closely with the Federal Government to progress the following projects:

Bowden (Second St) – 36 new affordable rental apartments
  • Similar mixed ownership model to neighbouring development, Nightingale Bowden which focused on providing affordable rental and purchase housing for South Australians close to the CBD and public transport
Bowden (Third St) – 60 new affordable rental apartments
  • Building construction targeted to start by mid-2024 paving the way for residents to move in by mid-2025.
  • Will include around 200 public and private carparking replacing the temporary on grade car parking at Bowden
  • Affordable rentals for South Australians
Prospect (Churchill / Regency Rd) – two separate and well-located buildings, 72 new affordable rentals
Playford Alive (Newton Blvd) – 249 new homes
  • Home construction targeted to start in the second half of 2024 paving the way for residents to move in by the end of 2025.
  • Includes target of 65 per cent affordable properties.
These projects are in addition to more public homes and the 23,700 allotments already announced.

They are intended to increase affordable housing for young families, single parents, older women, retirees and essential workers.

The projects will help ease pressure on the market, while contributing towards $965 million in additional housing construction activity across South Australia.

The projects are early priorities identified under the Housing Accord, with more set to be identified in due course in conjunction with the Commonwealth and community housing providers.

Affordable rentals use income-based rent capped at 75 per cent of market rent for a property.

Affordable homes are available exclusively to eligible buyers earning less than $130,000 per year as a couple or family, or $100,000 as a single person.

The current price point for affordable homes is $417,000-$479,000 in Greater Adelaide.

Quotes

Attributable to Peter Malinauskas
My government is taking action to address the housing crisis on every front.
For too long, too many South Australians have watched the prospect of a secure home drift further and further away.
This major commitment to delivering affordable homes for purchase and rental will provide more people with the opportunity to enter the market.

Attributable to Stephen Mullighan
In its October budget the Commonwealth asked states to put forward projects for support under the $10 billion Housing Australia Fund.
We are ready to deliver these projects after doing the detailed work early, to position SA as a frontrunner for new investment.
We are already working closely with the federal government to progress these projects, to deliver more affordable housing.

Attributable to Nick Champion
We are pulling every lever to make housing more accessible to more South Australians.
Too many find themselves locked out of a market under immense pressure – which is why we are getting to work on these projects as soon as possible.
This massive supply boost aimed at those who need it most will help put a roof over their heads and realise their goal of long-term housing security.
I’m glad Nightingale are involved but 200 car parks? I guess so Mali’s driver can park somewhere when Mali goes to Bowden to get selfies with people and kick the footy :D

Nathan

#1488 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:49 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:41 pm
I’m glad Nightingale are involved but 200 car parks? I guess so Mali’s driver can park somewhere when Mali goes to Bowden to get selfies with people and kick the footy :D
If he needs his driver to get there then the problem is worse than we thought, he's literally a 5 minute walk way.

Llessur2002

#1489 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:25 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
To be fair that's on Third Street, right next to Plant 4/Plant 3 etc and is to replace the current open air carpark which is being developed.

I'm all for PT use but without something fairly substantial in this area to accommodate visitors then it's just going to increase parking problems for residents and/or impact trade at the markets, brewery etc. The Entertainment Centre car park is still quite a walk, especially if you're a family dragging kids along, and may not always be available depending on event schedules etc.

Nathan

#1490 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:39 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:25 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
To be fair that's on Third Street, right next to Plant 4/Plant 3 etc and is to replace the current open air carpark which is being developed.

I'm all for PT use but without something fairly substantial in this area to accommodate visitors then it's just going to increase parking problems for residents and/or impact trade at the markets, brewery etc. The Entertainment Centre car park is still quite a walk, especially if you're a family dragging kids along, and may not always be available depending on event schedules etc.
The parking problems though are caused mostly by residents. Building more parking is just treating the symptom (and undermining the goals of a development like Bowden). Should be looking at the underlying issues of why so many residents are parking in the streets (why do so many still need 2-3 car homes? What will help them ditch the extra car?) and addressing those, which would free up the existing street parking for visitors.

Llessur2002

#1491 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:52 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:39 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:25 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:

The parking problems though are caused mostly by residents. Building more parking is just treating the symptom (and undermining the goals of a development like Bowden). Should be looking at the underlying issues of why so many residents are parking in the streets (why do so many still need 2-3 car homes? What will help them ditch the extra car?) and addressing those, which would free up the existing street parking for visitors.
Fully agree with multiple car ownership being against the general ethos of the Bowden TOD but it's hard to think what more could be done from a development perspective to reduce car ownership/usage. It's arguably one of the best connected locations in the metro area - there's tram, train and bus right on the doorstep and the CBD is easily bikeable and pretty easily walkable too.

I wonder what percentage of apartments/houses are shared as opposed to single family occupants? If it's relatively high then that might be a considerable barrier to overcome as sharing a single car would be an interesting experience for a bunch of young people living together. I did six years without a car in a shared apartment in my 20s/30s but that was smack bang in the middle of a city with easy access to full sized supermarkets, extensive public transport etc so it was quite easy - especially as we rarely ventured further than work and the local pubs (all of which were very walkable). I think it would be a bit different over here given the much greater distances involved - even if every housemate visited the gym a few times a week and saw family on the weekends I can see how multiple cars might be attractive/necessary.

Either way, in the short term I guess the political decision would need to be made of whether to forego a public parking facility at the possible expense of reduced visitation and trade. I'm not saying it's a great decision but I can see why it has been made given there's no guarantee that car ownership amongst residents will reduce in the foreseeable future.

Nathan

#1492 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:05 pm

I think a key factor is that there's still far too many things that you need to go outside of the area for — they still haven't established all the low hanging fruit of everyday retail and services. If that could be addressed, I think that would allow for many households to ditch one car. (And I don't think we'll see a change on that any time soon unfortunately — anecdotally I've heard that the empty retail spaces at the bottom of some of the buildings remain so because the rent they're asking for is absurdly high. RenewalSA doesn't seem interested in any subsidies, so nothing happens).

For sure it won't solve it for all cases, like your share house example (I too did a stint as a car-less CBD share house resident in my 20s), but it would certainly be enough to reduce a lot of the demand on street parks.

Llessur2002

#1493 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:18 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:05 pm
I think a key factor is that there's still far too many things that you need to go outside of the area for — they still haven't established all the low hanging fruit of everyday retail and services. If that could be addressed, I think that would allow for many households to ditch one car. (And I don't think we'll see a change on that any time soon unfortunately — anecdotally I've heard that the empty retail spaces at the bottom of some of the buildings remain so because the rent they're asking for is absurdly high. RenewalSA doesn't seem interested in any subsidies, so nothing happens).

For sure it won't solve it for all cases, like your share house example (I too did a stint as a car-less CBD share house resident in my 20s), but it would certainly be enough to reduce a lot of the demand on street parks.
Finger's crossed that the MAB development might bring some additional amenities to the area.

I wonder if a full-sized supermarket cropped up within walking distance - perhaps as part of the brewery or an eventual Entertainment Centre redevelopment - might spur some single car households into giving it up completely. I like the IGA at Bowden but it's not the cheapest and it would be difficult to do a weekly shop there for a family (or even a couple).

Nathan

#1494 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:25 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:18 pm
Nathan wrote:

Finger's crossed that the MAB development might bring some additional amenities to the area.

I wonder if a full-sized supermarket cropped up within walking distance - perhaps as part of the brewery or an eventual Entertainment Centre redevelopment - might spur some single car households into giving it up completely. I like the IGA at Bowden but it's not the cheapest and it would be difficult to do a weekly shop there for a family (or even a couple).
Yes, that would be very handy. Brickworks is just a bit too far that (and doesn't help that they've oriented it away from all foot and cycling traffic). I think the IGA has gone downhill a bit since the new owners took over a couple of months ago. Prices seem to have crept up more, range has reduced, and they're worse at keeping high turnover stuff (like milk and bread) in stock. We get our main grocery run delivered, and just use the IGA for picking up odd bits and pieces ad hoc.

SBD

#1495 Post by SBD » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:28 pm

Focussed on car ownership:
  • For young people, if they've achieved the rite of passage of getting a licence to drive, then the obvious next step is to own a car to use that licence, otherwise why did they bother to get it?
  • For families who already own multiple cars, it's hard to choose to give one up before you know for certain that you don't still need it. Even harder if they are different, and used for different things.
Transport-as-a-service might mean that you don't need to own the car, just rent it on demand, but what are the barriers to a quick short-term rental? If you own the car, it's easy to decide to go to the Barossa or McLaren Vale for lunch at morning tea time. How easy is that for people who need to book and pick up a car from a rental place?

These things can be done, but for most people it's a significant change of mindset, and takes time.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#1496 Post by dbl96 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:10 am

Nathan wrote:
I don't understand why this happens so often. Surely, if you aren't attracting tenants at the absurd price you are asking for, you would realise that that price is absurd, and you would lower it - because having a tenant who pays you slightly less than the absurd price you were asking for is a lot better than having no tenant at all.

Nort

#1497 Post by Nort » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:15 am

dbl96 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:10 am
Nathan wrote:
I don't understand why this happens so often. Surely, if you aren't attracting tenants at the absurd price you are asking for, you would realise that that price is absurd, and you would lower it - because having a tenant who pays you slightly less than the absurd price you were asking for is a lot better than having no tenant at all.
1. If you own other properties those tenants will rightly ask why they are paying more than the market rate for their rentals.
2. Renting out the space at a lower rate essentially "locks in" the lower value of the property for valuation purposes.

Some of the areas where western capitalism falls over a bit.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#1498 Post by dbl96 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:42 am

Nort wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:15 am
dbl96 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:10 am
Nathan wrote:
1. If you own other properties those tenants will rightly ask why they are paying more than the market rate for their rentals.
2. Renting out the space at a lower rate essentially "locks in" the lower value of the property for valuation purposes.

Some of the areas where western capitalism falls over a bit.
Yes, but if the landlords were more objective, they would realise that renting all their properties at 70% what they think they are worth brings in more money than renting half their properties at 100% what they think they are worth and not renting the other half at all.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#1499 Post by dbl96 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:25 pm

SA’s planning minister wants to reshape debate over urban sprawl
NEWS
https://indaily.com.au/news/2023/02/16/ ... an-sprawl/
Planning Minister Nick Champion believes urban sprawl has become a “whipping boy” in the perennial debate over new housing, and is flagging a shift away from “arbitrary” government targets for infill housing and greenfield development.

The Malinauskas Government put Adelaide’s urban sprawl firmly back on the political agenda this week after announcing a move to rezone hundreds of hectares of greenfield land in the outer northern and southern suburbs for residential living.

The land release, slated to create 23,700 homes – more than twice the number of allotments created by the controversial 2010 Mount Barker rezoning – comes at an inflection point for the state’s planning system, which is currently subject to an expert panel review examining contentious issues such as urban infill, heritage, character and trees.

It also comes as the State Planning Commission embarks on the next iteration of the 30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide – along with six new regional plans – which will map out a planning vision for Adelaide’s urban form until 2053.

In a wide-ranging interview with InDaily this week, Planning Minister Nick Champion signalled a departure from “problematic” targets outlined in previous 30-year plans.

“Previous plans have articulated some percentage infill versus greenfield growth. I think what’s demanded of now is more diversity and choice for families rather than arbitrary targets which are sometimes set by these sorts of plans,” he said.

“But ultimately, it’ll be individuals who decide, it will be families who decide, it will be the market who decides.”

Urban sprawl has been a kind of whipping boy – I don’t think that language helps. People live in these communities, they work, they contribute to society, they’re good communities.

The 30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide was first released in 2010 and updated in 2017. The most recent edition set six targets to manage Adelaide’s urban growth with a goal of delivering “a more compact urban form” and managing growth “within the existing urban footprint”.

The first target was for 85 per cent of all new housing in metropolitan Adelaide to be built within “established urban areas” by 2045. Adelaide was on track to reach this goal, according to a report card released by the Planning Commission in 2020.

Other 30-Year Plan targets included building 60 per cent of all new housing in “close proximity” to fixed rail public transport and/or high-frequency bus routes, as well as increasing the share of work trips made by active transport by 30 per cent.

Asked if these targets would be axed in the next 30-Year Plan update, Champion said: “I don’t think we want to use that sort of language, but I’m less focused on targets than we are on making sure we’ve got a functional housing market, both now and into the future.”

He later went on to say: “Urban sprawl has been a kind of whipping boy – I don’t think that language helps.”

“People live in these communities, they work, they contribute to society, they’re good communities.”

The comments echo those of Premier Peter Malinauskas, who has said that urban sprawl is “not a dirty word” and Adelaide’s outer metropolitan area should be developed “in a considered way while ensuring infrastructure keeps up”.

Champion did not offer an alternative way of describing urban sprawl, adding only: “I think it’s a pejorative term that really actually comes from the United States.”

“And in Adelaide’s case, the Environment and Food Protection Areas (EFPAs) and other things make sure that we’ve adequately accounted for that.

“So I don’t think it’s a particular challenge for the Planning Commission going forward.”

Planning Minister Nick Champion (right) at a meeting of the expert panel review of South Australia’s planning system last year. Former Urban Development Institute SA president John Stimson (left) is leading the review. Photo: Tony Lewis/InDaily

The minister also said the 30-Year Plan’s 85 per cent established urban areas target for new housing “never got met”, adding that it “goes back to my original commentary about you get these arbitrary targets, and I think they’re problematic”.

“What we’ve got to do is do every bit of that housing market at a much higher quality level in terms of planning – plan better greenfield sites, plan better brownfield sites,” he said.

“You can always do better, and I think we can definitely do better in general infill for instance – there’s a lot of issues out there in the community which have been raised as part of the expert panel.”

General infill – the demolition of old housing stock and replacement with higher density homes – has been a hot topic during the expert panel review, with community concerns about a loss of trees and the strain on parking and existing council infrastructure prompting calls for a rethink of Adelaide’s infill strategy.

Champion attributes these issues, as well as “ad hoc” infill development, to a lack of strategic planning by some metropolitan councils, who he refused to name.

“I think one of the issues around general infill is that there are some councils which are doing the strategic planning to accommodate for that and to talk to the community,” he said.

“Mitcham Council have just recently gone through this and set out where they want growth and density and where they don’t.

“Now some councils have not done that, and they need to do it.

“I won’t name them on this occasion… because I don’t think that’s productive, but I think anybody who’s driving around the city can probably tell.

“Councils actually have a vital role in the strategic planning space… and this (the new 30-Year Plan) is a big opportunity, just as the expert panel was a big opportunity, but they have to step up to the plate.”

The backlash to general infill in Adelaide’s inner suburbs has also prompted calls, most vocally from the state’s urban development lobby, for a greater focus on strategic infill, greenfield developments and master-planned communities, such as those in Mount Barker, Brompton, Bowden, Lightsview and the old Football Park site at West Lakes.

There’s often a lot of, if you like, standard-setting up amongst the big master planned greenfield sites, and I think people are attracted to that – that’s why there’s a market for it.

According to a 2021 PlanSA report, strategic infill contributed 30 per cent of all net dwelling increases in Greater Adelaide from 2010 to 2019.

That is below general infill, which accounted for 37 per cent of new dwellings during this period, while greenfield sites only contributed 19 per cent.

In gross terms, 49,600 new general infill dwellings were constructed from 2010 to 2019, compared to 22,600 strategic infill dwellings.

Numerous studies have outlined that governments bear a bigger infrastructure cost for greenfield developments than infill in established urban areas.

A 2017 paper by University of South Australia researcher Cathryn Hamilton and University of Adelaide urban planning professor Jon Kellett found the government infrastructure cost of supporting 4000 dwellings on a greenfield site in Playford was between $29,044 and $34,044 per dwelling, compared to just $2451 per dwelling for infill housing at Bowden.

Similarly, a 2014 study by InfraPlan, the predecessor to AI property analytics firm PointData, found the average cost of infrastructure for greenfield development on Adelaide’s northern fringe was $80,500 per lot, compared to $20,000 per net dwelling for general infill in Adelaide.

But Champion argues that greenfield development, along with strategically planned infill similar to Bowden, provides a better opportunity to preserve and enhance amenity.

“It is certainly easier for a greenfield developer who often have a lot of control, they often have a lot of caveats over their property about how your property will look,” Champion said.

“There’s often a lot of, if you like, standard-setting up amongst the big master-planned greenfield sites, and I think people are attracted to that – that’s why there’s a market for it.

“Private developers do it as well because it’s an attractive way of marketing your product, the houses in this case, and people want to live in kind of nice, orderly, well-planned communities.”

The role of public transport in Adelaide’s growth

Transport Minister Tom Koutsantonis has already signalled that major public transport projects, such as an extension of the tram network, are not on the government’s agenda.

The lack of planned extensions to Adelaide’s fixed rail passenger network begs the question of whether the 2017 goal to build 60 per cent of Adelaide’s new housing within close proximity to public transport is still a target on the government’s radar.

Asked how public transport would fit into the next 30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide, especially given the $15 billion investment in the North-South Corridor, Champion highlighted previous government investments in public transport.

“It’s a good question, but one shouldn’t forget that we had pretty big investments in the O-Bahn, we had very big investments in electrification of the Seaford line, and the northern [Gawler] line’s just been electrified,” he said.

“The car [has] been dominant since the 1930s as a method of transportation. We’re now seeing the electrification of that. Even though we will see a dip in people using cars, they’re still going to be present in our society in one form or another.

“We do need to I think look at models of precinct parking and the like, I think that would be useful in some of these development to make sure you’ve got enough parking (for visitors and residents).

“So, yes to transport-orientated developments, but we’ve got to learn some lessons about what happened in the past and apply those lessons.”

Asked whether car dependency would be something that would be an accepted feature of South Australia’s future planning, Champion said: “It gets back to this diversity and choice, and people are going to want to have different lives at different times.”

“The important thing is not to choose for other people, not for the government to sort of wag its finger at people so much as to allow them to choose in a functioning market.

“I think we’ve all lived in different circumstances and seen that sometimes you have to use your car and sometimes you can use the train.”

State Planning Commission chair Craig Holden, who is leading the consultation on the new 30-Year Plans, said the suburbs running along the electrified southern and northern train lines would be a central focus for potential rezoning.

“They’re obvious nodes to make use of that huge capital investment with some greater densities,” Holden said.

“Perhaps Elizabeth town centre could do with a regeneration. We’ll look at and talk to those communities, about how we could develop closer to those train lines and how that could be more utilised.”

The state government has set aside $3.6 million for the State Planning Commission to undertake the next round of 30-year plans.

A discussion paper on the 30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide is set to be released for consultation in May ahead of the final plan being developed in 2024.

Nort

#1500 Post by Nort » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:43 am

Hahaha, basically just saying that the plan is to allow whatever developments are cheapest in the short term with fuck all consideration for long term costs and flexibility.

By all means build far flung new suburbs, but connect them to rail (or at least have reserved and protected rail corridors there from the start). If that's too expensive, then it's a big red flag that the whole plan doesn't stand up in the longer term, because it won't get cheaper as things get more built up.

FFS have they learned nothing from Mt Barker.