News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#1036 Post by Spotto » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:35 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:03 pm
Grenfell/Currie should be a transit mall.

3 lanes in each direction......inside lane can be light rail, footpath lane can be bus stops, middle lane will be for buses, taxis and delivery vehicles only.

Building a tunnel under Grenfell/Currie is extremely expensive and unnecessary.......regular car traffic can use other streets.
This. We don't need to build a tunnel in this scenario when the surface street can be easily reconfigured. Regular traffic doesn't need to access every single street in the city, priority needs to be shifted out of the car mindset and towards public transport and pedestrianised areas like the laneways masterplan. It wouldn't hurt for ACC to get off their butts and actually start building the east-west bikeway instead of more debates and committees.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#1037 Post by HeapsGood » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:51 am

PD2/20 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:31 pm
HeapsGood wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:47 pm
Has anyone seen the new mini Adelaide Metro buses? I don't mean the existing small buses they used which were the Mitsubishi Fuso's.

I mean completely new mini buses, same width as a regular bus but about half the size. I saw a couple this week, looking flash and brand new in South Adelaide. Just very weird and unusual looking. Tried to find more information about them but havnt been able to find anything online.
Like this https://www.hino.com.au/buses/hino-poncho/? Busways have three, 2861-3, which were used on Woodland Pk - Clovelly Pk until Flinders Line opened.
Those are the ones. Put onto smaller routes. Cool buses but absolutely not an option with some lines.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1038 Post by PeFe » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:09 pm

New bus stops/wayfaring signs announced for the Adelaide Metro bus network.
Go Zone and Interchange signage replacement project

Improving the public transport customer experience and increasing public transport patronage are key objectives of both the Department for Infrastructure and Transport (DIT) and South Australian Public Transport Authority (SAPTA). Subsequently, the SAPTA Wayfinding Rulebook has been developed to deliver a consistent suite of signage across the Adelaide Metro network.

A simpler wayfinding system with enhanced information will be more user friendly contributing to making Adelaide’s public transport network easier to use and understand. The principles within the Wayfinding Rulebook will be used for all future public transport infrastructure projects.

The first project using these principles is the update of all existing Go Zone stops, CBD bus stops and bus interchange stops.

1,496 standard stops and 156 key stops will be installed:
1419 suburban street locations
140 city street locations
93 bus interchange locations owned by the Department or Shopping Centres
Other details:
The Interchange maps have been updated to include more detail about services and facilities. These will be installed on the backside of interchange stops.
Customer Information (timetables, maps, website, etc.) will be progressively updated to reflect the Rulebook principles
Timeframe:
Start Installations: February 2021
Finish Installations: June 2021

Standard bus stop sign

Key bus stop sign

https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announceme ... nt-project
And once again this just reinforces the failure of the proposed bus network redesign, which was deemed "politically too hard" so instead of keep the obvious winning elements of the reforms (like increasing the number of people near Go-Zones from 500,000 to 700,000 and a simpler more understandable bus route numbering system) everything was thrown out.

So glad we will have new signs to work out what the fuck H30S means and why Goodwood Road buses run along major roads not called Goodwood Road.......let alone explaining to international tourists (when they come back) why Adelaide bus numbers miraculously change as the bus travels through the city centre.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#1039 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:47 am

Gonna be honest, I didn't see how the proposed change to bus numbering was any more understandable or logical than the existing one. The new numbers were as much a series of disconnected characters as the old ones, and only seemed to make people have to memorise the new number for the same buses they always catch. International tourists get on the bus their phone tells them to, and get off when their phone tells them to, they don't care what the numbers on the front mean so long as they match their google maps route.

The reason the bus network redesign failed wasn't because it was politically too hard, it's because it was fundamentally a negative for bus users and would-be users in almost every respect, and everyone could see it.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#1040 Post by Saltwater » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:02 am

Spotto wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:35 pm
PeFe wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:03 pm
Grenfell/Currie should be a transit mall.

3 lanes in each direction......inside lane can be light rail, footpath lane can be bus stops, middle lane will be for buses, taxis and delivery vehicles only.

Building a tunnel under Grenfell/Currie is extremely expensive and unnecessary.......regular car traffic can use other streets.
This. We don't need to build a tunnel in this scenario when the surface street can be easily reconfigured. Regular traffic doesn't need to access every single street in the city, priority needs to be shifted out of the car mindset and towards public transport and pedestrianised areas like the laneways masterplan. It wouldn't hurt for ACC to get off their butts and actually start building the east-west bikeway instead of more debates and committees.
To be clear, my original idea was not for a tunnel for all traffic, but only for buses with underground stops towards the east End, KWR, and west end. The problem at the moment, and even if Currie and Grenfell Streets were converted to buses-only, is buses shuffling through the city as they stop at Morphett, KWR, Pulteney, Frome etc intersections. So anyone living in the eastern suburbs and trying to get to the west end, or living in the inner west and trying to get to the east end, takes ages to get across. With a transit tunnel underneath buses could come straight off the city east O-Bahn tunnel, through the city, and out the other side to the airport / Henley Beach Road / Grange Road etc in less than ten minutes.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1041 Post by Eurostar » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:03 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:47 am
Gonna be honest, I didn't see how the proposed change to bus numbering was any more understandable or logical than the existing one. The new numbers were as much a series of disconnected characters as the old ones, and only seemed to make people have to memorise the new number for the same buses they always catch. International tourists get on the bus their phone tells them to, and get off when their phone tells them to, they don't care what the numbers on the front mean so long as they match their google maps route.

The reason the bus network redesign failed wasn't because it was politically too hard, it's because it was fundamentally a negative for bus users and would-be users in almost every respect, and everyone could see it.
By the looks of the Sydney Bus Number system
1xx is North of City
2xx is North/North East of City
3xx is Eastern Suburbs
4xx is South East of City
5xx is Western Suburbs
6 is North West and Hills
Lxx is Limited Stop Service
X is Express Bus.

So with that concept Adelaide route number system could be...
1xx North
2xx South
3xx East West
4xx Northern Suburbs
5xx OBahn and North Eastern
6xx Belair Hills
7xx Southern Suburbs
8xx Adelaide Hills
9xx Rural or School.
Routes like the current 300 could be simply 30.

I'll just use select few as an example
100 Blair Athol to City
110 Northgate to City
120 Ingle Farm to City
200 Clapham to City
300 Magill to City
310 West Lakes to City
424 Elizabeth to City
500 Elizabeth to City
600 Blackwood to City
721 Noarlunga Centre to City
864 Mount Barker to City.

PeFe

#1042 Post by PeFe » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:17 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:47 am
Gonna be honest, I didn't see how the proposed change to bus numbering was any more understandable or logical than the existing one. The new numbers were as much a series of disconnected characters as the old ones, and only seemed to make people have to memorise the new number for the same buses they always catch.
No it wasn't.....the new numbering system started at 01 for all airport buses, 01-09 for all O-Bahn buses.....10 for Hampstead Rd....11 for North East Rd....etc etc so all the Go-Zone buses had two digit numbers and the same number from end to end (none of this changing numbers as you travel through the city centre....what a weird idea...I can not think of another city in the western world that does this)

Three digit numbers were for the outer regions or less frequent back street services.
International tourists get on the bus their phone tells them to, and get off when their phone tells them to, they don't care what the numbers on the front mean so long as they match their google maps route.
Not all international tourists use their phones in Australia for various reasons

1) They are on holiday so they don't want to be contacted
2) The cost of using their foreign phone in Australia is prohibitive
3) They dont want to or cant be bothered buying a local sim card
4) Their phones wont work in Australia ie they are locked to one provider

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#1043 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:50 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:17 pm
Three digit numbers were for the outer regions or less frequent back street services.
The main bus from Happy Valley/Aberfoyle Park/Flagstaff hill, which was now terminating at Flinders Medical Centre instead of going into the city, was going to be called the 330/X331, neither of which would be outer regions or backstreet services, tell me how that was any less random than the existing G20/21/22X

Face it, the entire plan was a dogs breakfast of service slashes, miscommunication, and pointless aesthetic changes from top to bottom, and is why they didn't stand a chance of getting it past public scrutiny.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1044 Post by Norman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:22 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:17 pm
Not all international tourists use their phones in Australia for various reasons

1) They are on holiday so they don't want to be contacted
2) The cost of using their foreign phone in Australia is prohibitive
3) They dont want to or cant be bothered buying a local sim card
4) Their phones wont work in Australia ie they are locked to one provider
In all my travels since 2012 I have bought a local SIM card, whether that is in the Middle East, Europe, Japan, US, Malaysia, New Zealand, etc. A lot of people I know who have travelled overseas have done the same thing. Google Maps almost a necessity now when travelling. I mean, how many tourists in Japan can easily figure out the subway and rail systems without checking their phones?

PeFe

#1045 Post by PeFe » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:27 pm

Norman wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:22 pm
Google Maps almost a necessity now when travelling. I mean, how many tourists in Japan can easily figure out the subway and rail systems without checking their phones?
Well actually that was me in 2014....I spent 3 weeks in Japan with no phone and I managed to get around Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Osaka, and Sopporo with no issues thanks to public transport information being available in English and clear wayfinding signs in train stations.

Nathan

#1046 Post by Nathan » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:34 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:27 pm
Norman wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:22 pm
Google Maps almost a necessity now when travelling. I mean, how many tourists in Japan can easily figure out the subway and rail systems without checking their phones?
Well actually that was me in 2014....I spent 3 weeks in Japan with no phone and I managed to get around Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Osaka, and Sopporo with no issues thanks to public transport information being available in English and clear wayfinding signs in train stations.
Yeah, I'm in Tokyo generally once a year, and despite the multiple rail systems it's pretty easy to work out from the maps (helped by the fact that services are frequent so you don't have to worry about transfer timings too much).

Llessur2002

#1047 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:38 pm

I don't think users really care what number is on the front of the bus. I don't. I know which bus I need to catch to get between the city and my house - it could be called the X2J for all I care.

Most tourists will use a smartphone or a route map - those who don't these days are both few and far between and unlikely to be making multiple complex bus trips across the city and suburbs. Plus, without a phone or a map how would they know whether they were travelling north, south east or west of the city to benefit from a more structured numbering system? Even if they knew roughly where they were going and got on an 8xx bus to the Hills for example, they'd still need to rely on the signage on the front of the bus to know whether they'd end up in Lobethal or Blackwood - or it would be a bloody long walk at the other end considering they don't have a smartphone and wouldn't be able to book an Uber.

Metropolitan Adelaide's so big that just getting on a random bus that according to its number goes to the 'northern suburbs' is unlikely to be of much use in getting to your actual destination.

PeFe

#1048 Post by PeFe » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:30 pm

Adelaide Metro has released details of enhanced public transport for "Mad March". Extra buses (and trams).
Additional public transport for Mad March 2021
When: From Thursday 18 February 2021 to Sunday 21 March 2021

Affecting: 540, 544, J1G, GLNELG, FESTVL, BTANIC

With the Fringe, WOMAD, Adelaide Festival and many more events springing to life over the next month, it really is 'Mad March' in Adelaide.

Additional Mad March public transport services are activated during this time of year to cater for these events, and to get you to where you want to be.

On this page you can find more information on

Events
ADLOOP Tram service
Additional O-Bahn services
Date and timetable information

Full details here :
https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Announceme ... March-2021

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#1049 Post by ginzahikari » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 pm

Sorry for the bad picture, but here's a picture of one of the new bus stops - In real life it looks bulkier than the bus stops equipped with real time information, and it's a shame that they did not include any real time info displays with this
Attachments
33369FD2-AB70-4A2C-97A4-FA6B537E62A0.jpeg

rubberman

#1050 Post by rubberman » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:51 pm

ginzahikari wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 pm
Sorry for the bad picture, but here's a picture of one of the new bus stops - In real life it looks bulkier than the bus stops equipped with real time information, and it's a shame that they did not include any real time info displays with this
I'm a little curious. If you have the apps mentioned on the stop, then why do you need real time info on the stop as well? It's expensive technology to maintain and install, and it's not immediately obvious what advantage it has over an app?