News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1381 Post by rev » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:03 am

These are the projects that the federal government has stripped funding from in SA;
Funding stripped from five major road projects across SA, funds redirected to the North-South Corridor blowout
Five major road projects in the Adelaide Hills and regions have lost all federal funding after a scathing review found some were undeliverable or had stalled.

Clare Armstrong
National Political Editor
@ByClare
2 min read
November 16, 2023 - 10:44AM

Five major road projects across South Australia have been scrapped by the federal government as it attempts to rein in a massive cost blowout in the nation’s infrastructure pipeline.

Federal funding has been stripped from:

■ The Hahndorf township improvements and access upgrade;
■ The Main South Rd upgrade between Myponga and Cape Jervis;
■ The Old Belair Rd upgrade at Mitcham;
■ The Onkaparinga Valley Rd, Tiers Rd, Nairne intersection upgrade;
■ The Truro bypass project.

The Albanese government assessed these projects did not demonstrate “merit”, lacked “strategic rationale” and did not meet Labor’s investment priorities.

The funds saved from these axed projects will be redirected to other projects in SA, including $2.72bn for the north-south corridor from Torrens to Darlington.

A further eight Princes Highway projects across the state have been grouped together into a new “road corridor” with a lump federal funding pool of $361m.

These projects include the Port Wakefield to Port Augusta duplication works, the Augusta Hwy duplication second stage, and the addition of rest areas, pavement works, overtaking lanes, intersection improvements and safety and signage improvements on the Princes Hwy.

Due to cost blowouts on these projects, the SA government will have to prioritise what it wants to do first – and when the pool of federal funding runs out, the state will have to go back and ask the federal government for more money to finish the builds.

The decisions to cut and slow the construction timelines followed a 90-day review of the Infrastructure Investment Program, which Infrastructure Minister Catherine King said was “undeliverable”.

“As part of responding to the findings of the review, the government has made necessary decisions to no longer provide funding at this time to some projects,” she said.

“This includes projects that were not realistically going to be delivered with the funding available, have made little to no progress over a significant amount of time, and projects that do not align with Commonwealth or state and territory priorities.”

Ms King said from now on the government’s investment in infrastructure would focus on “productivity, sustainability and liveability”.

Ms King said the creation of road corridors would better prioritise construction of projects.

“Many projects located along strategic national freight routes are now grouped into corridors,” she said.

“This approach will allow states and territories to more flexibly manage project delivery schedules according to their priorities.”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... b416404bab

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1382 Post by Waewick » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:17 am

To be honest, the Truro bypass funding cut is probably saving us from another short sighted upgrade

The North South corridor really has become a vaccum though hasn't it.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

EBG

#1383 Post by EBG » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:45 am

What about the tram over pass at Marion and Cross Rd South Plympton?

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#1384 Post by A-Town » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:20 pm

EBG wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:45 am
This will proceed, as will the Majors Rd interchange by the looks.

Interestingly there's no mention of any cuts to the SDB/Marion Rd intersection which a previous article said will lose funding, and the Grange-Holbrooks-East Ave Dog Leg which another poster said won't proceed.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1385 Post by SRW » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:33 pm

Thanks to Rebekha Sharkie for screwing over a generation of uni students to get a Handorf upgrade that now won't even happen.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#1386 Post by Saltwater » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:53 pm

A-Town wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:20 pm
EBG wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:45 am
This will proceed, as will the Majors Rd interchange by the looks.

Interestingly there's no mention of any cuts to the SDB/Marion Rd intersection which a previous article said will lose funding, and the Grange-Holbrooks-East Ave Dog Leg which another poster said won't proceed.
I don't see how any of these could be binned given the upcoming disruption during construction of the NSM. And as I've aid in other threads, although expensive, the bulk of the cost will be tied up in land acquisition & demolition, rather than adding significantly to the infrastructure build backlog.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#1387 Post by mawsonguy » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:47 pm

I'm a bit surprised that the Truro By-Pass got the axe given that it's a major freight route and goes some way to dealing with issues related to accommodation hill..

[Shuz]

#1388 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:34 pm

So does that mean the NS Motorway is now costing an additional $2.7bn?

If that's the case, one wonders if $18bn is really worth the cost. Originally slated at $9bn, then $12.5bn, then $15bn... it's becoming farcical.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1389 Post by rev » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:14 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:34 pm

If that's the case, one wonders if $18bn is really worth the cost. Originally slated at $9bn, then $12.5bn, then $15bn... it's becoming farcical.
Is it an additional $2.7 billion, or since money has been freed up by pulling it from other projects has it been allocated earlier to the NSM?

But if it has blown out to $18 billion, that's the equivalent of nearly 15% of GSP.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#1390 Post by A-Town » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:45 pm

mawsonguy wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:47 pm
I'm a bit surprised that the Truro By-Pass got the axe given that it's a major freight route and goes some way to dealing with issues related to accommodation hill..
Agreed, very disappointing to see this project get axed. At least there will be more money going towards the Port Wakefield to Port Augusta duplication works.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1391 Post by Eurostar » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:24 am

Is using Murray Bridge as a shipping port, using the Murray River as a shipping canal (is it deep enough) and maybe a rail freight terminal in the vicinity of the wharf area :idea:

Could double stack freight trains run east of Murray Bridge without obstacles? And go around the Lofty Ranges from Murray Bridge to the north via Truro etc?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1392 Post by AG » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:36 am

Eurostar wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:24 am
Is using Murray Bridge as a shipping port, using the Murray River as a shipping canal (is it deep enough) and maybe a rail freight terminal in the vicinity of the wharf area :idea:

Could double stack freight trains run east of Murray Bridge without obstacles? And go around the Lofty Ranges from Murray Bridge to the north via Truro etc?
Would never happen as the channel through the Murray River mouth is way too shallow and any dredging works to deepen the channel would be prevented on environmental grounds.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1393 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:22 am

And the barrages would need to be completely rebuilt, along with the Hindmarsh Island Bridge. My limited knowledge of the Lower Lakes is that the Goolwa channel is the deepest.

I'd say the QE2 mooring on the Torrens in Elder Park is a greater chance of happening than Murray Bridge becoming a seaport.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1394 Post by Norman » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:45 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:34 pm

I believe the cost blew out from $10b to $15b after the last review and expansion. The $2.7b announcement is simply the federal government increasing their 50% share from $5b to $7.7b.

ChillyPhilly

#1395 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:02 pm

Unley Council has requested DIT lower the speed limit for a stretch of Unley Road.

In my opinion they should go further, all the way to Cross Road - if not beyond.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2023/ ... roughfare/
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.