News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#826 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:57 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:52 pm
Australia isn't Europe. Its not inherently different about Adelaide, its the entire country. Its also a similar culture to the USA in this regard.
If Europe is so good then why are you here?

Is this what you want?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15-minute_city
I didn't mention anything about Europe being good, or better than Australia - the conversation is about shared spaces in the middle of the city. The concept of taking often run down, visually unappealling roads which are generally unimportant in terms of vehicular flow and turning them into nicer places for pedestrians is not impacted by the overall geography or car usage requirements of the wider metropolitan population.

All of the shared spaces within the city are either servicing priority retail areas (such as Gawler Place) or the riverbank to market route - not exactly prime arterials. Increasing the amenity of these will benefit tourists, CBD workers and CBD residents alike - all of which are arguably more likely to travel on foot as opposed to in their cars for activity occurring within the city's bounds (i.e. exuding commuting).

abc
Legendary Member!

#827 Post by abc » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:16 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:57 pm
abc wrote:
Australia isn't Europe. Its not inherently different about Adelaide, its the entire country. Its also a similar culture to the USA in this regard.

Is this what you want?
I didn't mention anything about Europe being good, or better than Australia - the conversation is about shared spaces in the middle of the city. The concept of taking often run down, visually unappealling roads which are generally unimportant in terms of vehicular flow and turning them into nicer places for pedestrians is not impacted by the overall geography or car usage requirements of the wider metropolitan population.

All of the shared spaces within the city are either servicing priority retail areas (such as Gawler Place) or the riverbank to market route - not exactly prime arterials. Increasing the amenity of these will benefit tourists, CBD workers and CBD residents alike - all of which are arguably more likely to travel on foot as opposed to in their cars for activity occurring within the city's bounds (i.e. exuding commuting).
I drove down that street every day to get to my carpark when I worked in the city. Its wasn't an unimportant road for me and many others. Because of the Light square, access to Waymouth street is difficult from any other route when coming from the south side.

Llessur2002

#828 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:46 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:16 pm
I drove down that street every day to get to my carpark when I worked in the city. Its wasn't an unimportant road for me and many others. Because of the Light square, access to Waymouth street is difficult from any other route when coming from the south side.
Smells a bit of entitlement to me.

If you or anyone else specifically needs access to (presumably) Bentham Street then it's still there, just like before. The only difference being your priority along said street as a driver has been reduced. Even in the worst case scenario where you have to crawl along behind a pedestrian who chooses to walk down the middle of the street (although from experience the vast majority would still move aside to let you pass) what has that added to your total journey time? One minute tops? And the payoff being a nice pedestrian-friendly link connecting two of the city's prime locations and a main transport hub that I suspect hosts more pedestrians than users of your car park on an average day.
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nort

#829 Post by Nort » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:34 pm

abc wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:44 am
abc wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:07 pm
topic is Bentham Street

not sure why anyone would want to meander down the middle of that
I don't think it makes any difference - the topic is shared spaces in general. The more the merrier I say.

Hailing from Europe originally I've seen many a crappy street be transformed into a vibrant and pleasant shared space. As per one of the posts above I don't buy into the argument that there's something inherently different about Adelaide or Adelaideans that means it won't work here. Eventually drivers will get used to it.

Is this what you want?
If you want Australia to be the USA why are you here and not there?

Patrick_27

#830 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:08 pm

Generally speaking modern US ‘culture’ is foul. I’d much rather our cultural leanings be towards that of Europe. Be it in the way of transport, streetscapes, dining, etc.

Algernon

#831 Post by Algernon » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:24 pm

abc wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:
abc wrote:

Is this what you want?

Heartbreaking

Could someone in Adelaide please for the first time ever consider the feelings of car drivers???

abc
Legendary Member!

#832 Post by abc » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:20 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:46 pm
abc wrote:
Smells a bit of entitlement to me.

If you or anyone else specifically needs access to (presumably) Bentham Street then it's still there, just like before. The only difference being your priority along said street as a driver has been reduced. Even in the worst case scenario where you have to crawl along behind a pedestrian who chooses to walk down the middle of the street (although from experience the vast majority would still move aside to let you pass) what has that added to your total journey time? One minute tops? And the payoff being a nice pedestrian-friendly link connecting two of the city's prime locations and a main transport hub that I suspect hosts more pedestrians than users of your car park on an average day.
How is that entitlement? I've raised it as a safety concern for pedestrians.
If anyone is entitled here its you.

abc
Legendary Member!

#833 Post by abc » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:21 pm

Algernon wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:24 pm
abc wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:

Heartbreaking

Could someone in Adelaide please for the first time ever consider the feelings of car drivers???
just keep your scooter away from me soyboy

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#834 Post by dbl96 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:55 pm

Altogether, the finish on Bentham St is quite disappointing. What is with the ACC's obsession with asphalt? Even most of the suburban councils have now shifted to using high quality pavers for footpaths, but the ACC is still a bastion of asphalt.

Also, I can't understand why there are only trees on one side of the road. And why is the tree-lined one side paved with a higher-quality concrete finish and the other with asphalt? Its like they ran out of money after finishing one side.

[Shuz]

#835 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:17 pm

It's pretty subpar.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ChillyPhilly

#836 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:59 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:17 pm
It's pretty subpar.
Sadly I have to concur. Walked the completed Bentham Street yesterday. Far better than what was there previously, but too many cars despite zero traffic.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#837 Post by Nort » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:04 am

dbl96 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:55 pm
Altogether, the finish on Bentham St is quite disappointing. What is with the ACC's obsession with asphalt? Even most of the suburban councils have now shifted to using high quality pavers for footpaths, but the ACC is still a bastion of asphalt.

Also, I can't understand why there are only trees on one side of the road. And why is the tree-lined one side paved with a higher-quality concrete finish and the other with asphalt? Its like they ran out of money after finishing one side.
My hope is that Bentham has the finish it has because they're anticipating construction in coming years on the empty lot. It's a great spot for a residential or hotel development.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#838 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:03 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#839 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:04 pm

The council has finally fixed Leigh Street and most of the asphalt is now gone. It looks a lot better now, but hopefully the pavers are on a much stronger base. The condition of the street was pretty poor before the upgrade.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#840 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon May 15, 2023 9:40 pm

From today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk