News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3736 Post by SRW » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:58 am

In Rundle Place, Ted Baker has seemingly closed, and Lululemon is currently fitting out the old Susan's tenancy to relocate across from ACP. Inside, ACP still has a bunch of vacancies LG, G and L1.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3737 Post by Nathan » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:45 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:58 am
In Rundle Place, Ted Baker has seemingly closed, and Lululemon is currently fitting out the old Susan's tenancy to relocate across from ACP. Inside, ACP still has a bunch of vacancies LG, G and L1.
Priceline is opening LG in ACP, around where Chemist Warehouse was.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#3738 Post by Mpol02 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:26 pm

Ted Baker is done?

That’s a shame. Why can’t decent retailers sustain themselves in Adelaide? Our retail offering is dire

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3739 Post by Ben » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:57 pm

There’s a lot of shuffling going on at the moment. Hopefully they are just moving.

Ally is opening in City Cross where Minimax was moving from the MYER centre. Shieke looks like it’s about to open any day where Bardot was.

The rest of the centre redevelopment is coming along with lots of changes inside.

abc
Legendary Member!

#3740 Post by abc » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:11 pm

Mpol02 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:26 pm
Ted Baker is done?

That’s a shame. Why can’t decent retailers sustain themselves in Adelaide? Our retail offering is dire
I work in ecommerce luxury apparel advertising online
I don't even show ads in South Australia because South Australians are cheap. Its the only state I exclude entirely.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#3741 Post by Jaymz » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:50 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:11 pm
Mpol02 wrote:
Ted Baker is done?

I don't even show ads in South Australia because South Australians are cheap. Its the only state I exclude entirely.
You sound like a real heavy-hitter in this ecommerce thingy.

abc
Legendary Member!

#3742 Post by abc » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:01 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:50 pm
abc wrote:
Mpol02 wrote:
Ted Baker is done?

your snarkiness aside, this is a widely known fact in the industry locally
Ted Baker found out the hard way

golf
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3743 Post by golf » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:02 am

abc wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:01 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:50 pm
abc wrote:

your snarkiness aside, this is a widely known fact in the industry locally
Ted Baker found out the hard way
Not sure why they’re disagreeing with you or feeling the need to be snarky; just look at the dearth of high-end fashion stores in Adelaide (that every other mainland capital has, including Perth), and it’s very clear that you’re not just making things up.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#3744 Post by Mpol02 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:11 am

There is money here. I don’t get why people don’t value clothes?

I’ve just come back for holiday, and the day to day clothing compared to where I live is quite a big difference

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#3745 Post by Jaymz » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:59 am

Because you have to look at the bigger picture, there's usually a reason for these things rather than just saying South Australians are "cheap".

In this instance, you could argue much of the reason is the average pay packet for S.A people is the lowest of all the mainland states.
Meaning less disposable income for luxury items such as clothes. We are also the least populous of the mainland states too, so less demand.

If you wanted to dig a little bit deeper, could also go into the tourism figures, international visitor numbers in particular.

abc
Legendary Member!

#3746 Post by abc » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:59 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:59 am
Because you have to look at the bigger picture, there's usually a reason for these things rather than just saying South Australians are "cheap".

In this instance, you could argue much of the reason is the average pay packet for S.A people is the lowest of all the mainland states.
Meaning less disposable income for luxury items such as clothes. We are also the least populous of the mainland states too, so less demand.

If you wanted to dig a little bit deeper, could also go into the tourism figures, international visitor numbers in particular.
its the poorest state...tell me something I don't know

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3747 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:28 pm

It’s called value for money. Speaking of my own spending habits, I’m not going to spend big dollars for the likes of Ted Baker or Hugo Boss when the quality for money simply isn’t there to justify it. You’re literally paying for brand and the look, not the quality; most of the clothing is still made in unethical sweatshops. I’d rather spend my money on boutique brands selling out of places like Miss Gladys Choons. I suspect the mentality here in SA (that makes us look cheap) stems from the long standing fact that we have a very strong hometown brand loyalty. Where previously we had locally owned decent quality brands/department stores like John Martins/Harris Scarf/Foys/Moores (to name a few), it’s the same reason RM Williams have done so well here and now nationally/abroad. Call it cheap, I suspect it’s more a case of stubbornness.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#3748 Post by Mpol02 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:20 am

Work in fashion and I can tell you that is not the case. anymore. sweat shops though not a thing of the past, are not used by brands of this nature. Australia’s policies regarding sustainability and manufacture are surprisingly not as ahead as Europe and the USA, where they now require companies to show certification for their product as it arrives into the country, that would not allow product made in such poor conditions to enter the country.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3749 Post by SRW » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:16 am

Myer is shutting down in the Brisbane Myer Centre. Does anyone know when Myer Adelaide's lease is up? I hope not, but you can imagine them wanting downscale to something like the vacant Harris Scarfe space. Myer Centre would need a new name and a new purpose.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3750 Post by Pikey » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:21 am

The Brisbane situation was due to a disagreement with the landlord, not Myer's choice to move.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |