News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3811 Post by Nathan » Sat May 20, 2023 10:43 pm

Closed quite a while ago I think. Always was an odd location for them.

ChillyPhilly

#3812 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun May 21, 2023 11:29 am

rev wrote:
SRW wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 3:13 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 2:15 pm
A bit like Georg Jensen on Grenfell street. I always thought that was a weird spot.

Going back a few posts, RM Williams' potential relocation to the Ted Baker space is another blow for the northern end of Gawler Place. This area seems to be dying a slow death and I can't help feeling the recent streetscape improvements were a) half-arsed and b) not capitalised on.
Quite an expensive half-arsed at $18 million! For reference, the first (and to date only) stage of the Vic Square upgrade was $24 million.

I actually think the North side is pretty nicely done. The problem is the majority of the street is occupied by a behemoth car park and vacant arcade as well as two decaying blights (Chambers and Gallerie). Hard to see a connected strip being sustainable until these are addressed.
The car park at street level doesn't take up much room besides the entry/exit which isn't that large.

Its a busy street pedestrian wise in my experience.
Never seen the RM Williams or Rodd & Gunn stores with more customers then staff.

Perhaps the problem is the type of businesses. Museum and Library across the road, multi level car park right there, and Rundle Mall at the end. Businesses should be thriving there.

The arcade is dead. Last thing I remember on the street side of it was a homewares store? A boost juice type store inside, and a beauty salon.

They should just turn that arcade into small boutique offices and close off public access for the car park from it. Been a while since I used that car park but I'm pretty sure there's access to the Myer Centre on one of the levels, level 3 I think?
The hulking carpark is the primary issue. Carparks add nothing to an area. In fact, they detract from it.

Ideally the carpark gets binned with a redevelopment of Gawler Chambers and the entire street between North Terrace and Rundle closed permanently to traffic.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Algernon

#3813 Post by Algernon » Sun May 21, 2023 5:30 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:29 am
rev wrote:
SRW wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 3:13 pm

Quite an expensive half-arsed at $18 million! For reference, the first (and to date only) stage of the Vic Square upgrade was $24 million.

I actually think the North side is pretty nicely done. The problem is the majority of the street is occupied by a behemoth car park and vacant arcade as well as two decaying blights (Chambers and Gallerie). Hard to see a connected strip being sustainable until these are addressed.
The car park at street level doesn't take up much room besides the entry/exit which isn't that large.

Its a busy street pedestrian wise in my experience.
Never seen the RM Williams or Rodd & Gunn stores with more customers then staff.

Perhaps the problem is the type of businesses. Museum and Library across the road, multi level car park right there, and Rundle Mall at the end. Businesses should be thriving there.

The arcade is dead. Last thing I remember on the street side of it was a homewares store? A boost juice type store inside, and a beauty salon.

They should just turn that arcade into small boutique offices and close off public access for the car park from it. Been a while since I used that car park but I'm pretty sure there's access to the Myer Centre on one of the levels, level 3 I think?
The hulking carpark is the primary issue. Carparks add nothing to an area. In fact, they detract from it.

Ideally the carpark gets binned with a redevelopment of Gawler Chambers and the entire street between North Terrace and Rundle closed permanently to traffic.
I agree. Car parks are by their nature completely inactivated for the street level and they just destroy any street you build them on + add vehicle traffic on top of it. Gawler place can't really be anything unless that behemoth is flattened and the block is returned to human scale.

The Scooter Guy

#3814 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:24 pm

Spend-Less Shoes on James Place has left the city.
Another 'Cost Of Living' victim perhaps?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3815 Post by SRW » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:07 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:24 pm
I believe they're relocating to the mall storefront next to Platypus.

Would be great to see their current location move from retail to hospitality. James Place could become something more like Degraves St in Melbourne.
Last edited by SRW on Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#3816 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:44 pm

SRW wrote:
The Scooter Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:24 pm
I believe they're relocating the mall storefront next to Platypus.

Would be great to see their current location move from retail to hospitality. James Place could become something more like Degraves St in Melbourne.
Correct, and I agree. Especially now with the new Services Australia building complete and with a fantastic new link to James Place from King William St.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27

#3817 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:55 pm

Cotton On has closed their shopfront until September, presumably for renovations.

Westpac have closed their Rundle Square branch. Perhaps in what seems like the beginning of an inevitable phase out of BankSA branches, I’ve noticed that Westpac has begun collocating itself with BankSA at their branches… Unley being the latest branch for this to happen.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#3818 Post by notmichaeljfox » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:33 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:55 pm
Cotton On has closed their shopfront until September, presumably for renovations.
I saw a sign on Friday stating it was for renovations. It was odd not to put it up when they closed.

YD has also reopened, having taken over the adjoining shopfront. The front is weirdly designed - there are a few places where you could grab clothes and walk off with no chance of staff seeing you...

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#3819 Post by pushbutton » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:18 pm

notmichaeljfox wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:33 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
IThe front is weirdly designed - there are a few places where you could grab clothes and walk off with no chance of staff seeing you...
Well, that's unusual!

Stand by for the announcement they're shutting down (due to huge stockloss!)

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3820 Post by SRW » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:16 pm

notmichaeljfox wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:33 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
I saw a sign on Friday stating it was for renovations. It was odd not to put it up when they closed.

YD has also reopened, having taken over the adjoining shopfront. The front is weirdly designed - there are a few places where you could grab clothes and walk off with no chance of staff seeing you...
I don't think people are racing out to buy let alone steal YD...

Speaking of cheap menswear, I wonder what's going in where Tarocash was?
Keep Adelaide Weird

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#3821 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:03 pm

At least some bits are still as they should be
IMG_20230707_162813.jpg
IMG_20230707_163610.jpg
Other parts sadly not so
IMG_20230707_163817.jpg

The Scooter Guy

#3822 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:57 pm

Former 'Bull & Bear' has become La Louisiane.
https://www.broadsheet.com.au/adelaide/ ... next-month
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3823 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:20 pm

I think these are new on Rundle Street next door to the Austral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#3824 Post by Prodical » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:35 pm

The Edinburgh Castle hotel has been closed for ages. There are internal renovations underway and it should reopen sometime in August.

A pretty ordinary photo taken through the front window!
Attachments
Edge.jpg

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#3825 Post by pushbutton » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:36 pm

Just a couple of pics showing the latest "progress" on the "enhancement" to the Myer Centre facade.
IMG_20230718_161751.jpg
IMG_20230718_161659.jpg