[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

#961 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:04 pm

That's bullshit. If they can do it on a number of very old and heritage protected buildings in plazas and malls right across Europe, there's absolutely no reason why it can't be done here.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#962 Post by omada » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:26 am

oh dear, and just when I thought they had got the mall right. Can't stop tinkering with it can they?

ChillyPhilly

#963 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:12 am

[Shuz] wrote:That's bullshit. If they can do it on a number of very old and heritage protected buildings in plazas and malls right across Europe, there's absolutely no reason why it can't be done here.
+1.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#964 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:05 pm

Second pole went up last night.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

[Shuz]

#965 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Let's call them Blight, Ugly and Hideous. You know, kinda like how the Rundle Mall pigs have names.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

#966 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:25 pm

Really? Perhaps I'm missing something but I'm really not that troubled by them.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#967 Post by Wayno » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:38 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Really? Perhaps I'm missing something but I'm really not that troubled by them.
Ditto.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Patrick_27

#968 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Would have made more sense if they were positioned like Melbourne's Bourke Street Mall - two at either end of the Mall and placed out of the way.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#969 Post by jk1237 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Really? Perhaps I'm missing something but I'm really not that troubled by them.
me 3, really don't know what the issue is here

arki
High Rise Poster!

#970 Post by arki » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:33 pm

I noticed the poles straight away this week. They are not overly obstructive but still detract somewhat from the overall aesthetic of the new look mall.I personally love the openness of the mall since being redeveloped - I just cant help but feel this is a step in the wrong direction. Full judgement is reserved until the lighting is installed though.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#971 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:04 am

I'm not really bothered with them - they'll be absorbed into the streetscape. But there's no indication from looking at them IRL that the tops/tips will be illuminated. I hope that that ends up happenings, as it'd be a cool design feature and nighttime hallmark.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#972 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:40 am

SRW wrote:But there's no indication from looking at them IRL that the tops/tips will be illuminated. I hope that that ends up happenings, as it'd be a cool design feature and nighttime hallmark.
That's what I wondered - my office looks directly down on top of the westernmost one and it doesn't seem to have any lighting inbuilt - the top of the post is sealed too. Hopefully they can be added retrospectively as it would be a nice feature...

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#973 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:35 am

From ACC website:

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/medi ... undle-mall
The final phase of the Rundle Mall redevelopment begins tonight involving the installation of catenary lighting.

Rundle Mall - Artist impression of the lighting

Catenary lighting will provide the visual effect of ‘floating’ lights along Rundle Mall. On a practical level, catenary lighting using structural cables allows a unique ambience without the use of many light poles, masts or intrusive support structures along the Mall.

Adelaide City Council Public Realm Executive Manager, Tom McCready, said Council is keen to let the public know works in preparation for the catenary lighting begins this afternoon.

“Around 4pm trucks will be parked at the east end of Rundle Mall in preparation of a mast being erected. Later in the night, cranes and crews will be arriving to carry out the works which should continue until the early hours of Tuesday morning. Another mast will also be erected in due time.

“The masts are approximately 17 metres in height and will support the lighting at strategic points along Rundle Mall.

“This will be followed by the installation of two spires approximately 20 metres in height located at the Eastern and Western ends of the Mall. These Spires will support banners, flood lighting and provides the anchor points for the catenary netting system,” Tom McCready said.
Youtube time lapse of work to date:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFkg0YsdFtM
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#974 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:44 am

Wayno wrote:From ACC website:

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/medi ... undle-mall
The final phase of the Rundle Mall redevelopment begins tonight involving the installation of catenary lighting.

Rundle Mall - Artist impression of the lighting

Catenary lighting will provide the visual effect of ‘floating’ lights along Rundle Mall. On a practical level, catenary lighting using structural cables allows a unique ambience without the use of many light poles, masts or intrusive support structures along the Mall.

Adelaide City Council Public Realm Executive Manager, Tom McCready, said Council is keen to let the public know works in preparation for the catenary lighting begins this afternoon.

“Around 4pm trucks will be parked at the east end of Rundle Mall in preparation of a mast being erected. Later in the night, cranes and crews will be arriving to carry out the works which should continue until the early hours of Tuesday morning. Another mast will also be erected in due time.

“The masts are approximately 17 metres in height and will support the lighting at strategic points along Rundle Mall.

“This will be followed by the installation of two spires approximately 20 metres in height located at the Eastern and Western ends of the Mall. These Spires will support banners, flood lighting and provides the anchor points for the catenary netting system,” Tom McCready said.
Youtube time lapse of work to date:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFkg0YsdFtM
So wait, are we getting spires as well as masts or are they one and the same? They really ought to be, as surely all functions can be supported by one pole. Diminishing clutter was a goal, after all.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#975 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:26 am

I read it as two (or three?) poles along the length of the mall but then a multi-function spire at each end of the mall.