[U/C] Burnside Village (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: Burnside Village (Extension)

#301 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed May 10, 2023 1:04 pm

Burnside Village expansion officially under way with first crane on-site

New images of the huge expansion of Burnside Village have been released after the first crane arrived on-site to mark the official start of construction.

The images, and a newly-released video fly-through, show three levels of additional retail space, including a premium mall, new dining area, entertainment spaces and health and well-being precinct.

Owner Cohen Group is doubling the footprint of the centre to 38,850sq m, including an additional 80 stores.

There will also be more than 560 free undercover car parks and e-vehicle charging facilities.

Cohen Group chief executive Gregg Downer said the multi-million investment represented the largest private sector retail property expansion in South Australia, and reflected the family’s confidence in the state’s economy.

Artist’s impression of Burnside Village expansion. Picture: Supplied by Burnside Village

“We’re excited to be bringing a new, unrivalled customer destination shopping experience to South Australia which aims to attract visitors from across metropolitan Adelaide, interstate and overseas,” he said.

“The investment being made by the Cohen Group underscores the company’s commitment to South Australia and supporting the growth and development of the state.”

Excavators have been on-site over the past few months preparing the site for construction, after a 30-month delay to the project caused by Covid-19.

Cohen Group put its development plans on hold in April 2020 during the demolition of several buildings that previously stood near the corner of Greenhill and Portrush roads and as the impact of Covid-19 was quickly escalating.

Artist's impression of the premium mall. Picture: Supplied by Burnside Village

In April 2021 the company revived the project, after what it described as an “extraordinary” recovery in retail trade at the centre.

It went back to the drawing board to revise its initial pre-Covid designs, removing a luxury cinema from the plans and instead including space for a 24-hour “gym and lifestyle facility”.

A seven-storey office building on the corner of Greenhill and Portrush roads and a proposed medical centre were also scrapped.

Artist's impression of the Greenhill Rd entrance. Picture: Supplied by Burnside Village

Cohen Group has longer term plans for another extension south of the existing shopping centre, potentially including more specialty stores, a supermarket, fresh food precinct and 350 car parks.

Construction of the ‘Stage Six’ expansion is being undertaken by building company Hansen

Yuncken, and is expected to create more than 1625 jobs during construction and once it opens in early 2025.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... e0d8c23545

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

#302 Post by relapse » Wed May 10, 2023 1:15 pm

Ben wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:07 pm
There will be but they won't announce until much closer to completion.
My wife was told that Gucci is apparently going to be one of the new stores, but there's been no official announcement.

Edward
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#303 Post by Edward » Wed May 10, 2023 4:55 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMZx5ZEvf9Y[/youtube]

Looks huge!
Here’s hoping they have secured commitment from some significant tenants.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#304 Post by SRW » Wed May 10, 2023 5:33 pm

Not that I think it's necessarily an ambition for the city, but you'd have to say this centre kills any shot of luxury brands setting up there. If the Adelaide market can support any, it could only support in this one location.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#305 Post by [Shuz] » Wed May 10, 2023 6:06 pm

Seems they're trying to go for becoming the "Chadstone" of Adelaide, where the luxury brands are located. Which although to the detriment of the CBD, does better reflect the socio-economic demographics of the nearby area.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Patrick_27

#306 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 10, 2023 9:45 pm

The same entitled idiots that hold a gun to the heads of the ACC over providing adequate parking for their infrequent visits to the CBD are the same entitled idiots that frequent Burnside Village for these sorts of stores citing "it's easier to park at Burnside" as their reason. Would be nice for the Rundle Mall Authority to grow a spine and actually go about trying to secure these luxury brands in the CBD.

Nathan

#307 Post by Nathan » Wed May 10, 2023 9:59 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:45 pm
The same entitled idiots that hold a gun to the heads of the ACC over providing adequate parking for their infrequent visits to the CBD are the same entitled idiots that frequent Burnside Village for these sorts of stores citing "it's easier to park at Burnside" as their reason. Would be nice for the Rundle Mall Authority to grow a spine and actually go about trying to secure these luxury brands in the CBD.
To be fair, you have to drive to Burnside because access via public transport or by bike is horrendous. :banana:

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#308 Post by Mpol02 » Wed May 10, 2023 10:15 pm

Interesting. Would be ace to see some big lux brands here.

CBD should focus on securing a Zara, and some other cool yet affordable brands.

claybro

#309 Post by claybro » Thu May 11, 2023 10:05 am

Mpol02 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:15 pm

Seems a shame this site has become such a behemoth. The site is restricted, surrounded by low density housing, bordered by a major truck route and very busy intersection. and poorly serviced by public transport-with no rail connection available. It is EVERYTHING we should be avoiding in near city locations. This area should have remained a local strip shop precinct, with better connectivity to the CBD. by perhaps light rail/tram...not that most of the locals would be caught dead on a tram.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#310 Post by SRW » Thu May 11, 2023 10:17 am

claybro wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 10:05 am
Mpol02 wrote:

Seems a shame this site has become such a behemoth. The site is restricted, surrounded by low density housing, bordered by a major truck route and very busy intersection. and poorly serviced by public transport-with no rail connection available. It is EVERYTHING we should be avoiding in near city locations. This area should have remained a local strip shop precinct, with better connectivity to the CBD. by perhaps light rail/tram...not that most of the locals would be caught dead on a tram.
I find it puzzling that in growing so large they still show no indication of providing a functioning community heart. It is and looks to remain souless -- a centre with no centre. Meanwhile, because of its growing gravity, it will worsen The Parade's decline and substract somewhat from the CBD's potential.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#311 Post by SBD » Fri May 12, 2023 11:45 am

SRW wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 10:17 am
claybro wrote:
Mpol02 wrote:

I find it puzzling that in growing so large they still show no indication of providing a functioning community heart. It is and looks to remain souless -- a centre with no centre. Meanwhile, because of its growing gravity, it will worsen The Parade's decline and subtract somewhat from the CBD's potential.
What do you see is missing? The Burnside Town Hall and library are diagonally opposite across the intersection on the north end. It has a sign for the Burnside Ballroom (I don't know if it functions as a community space). The Burnside City Uniting Church is just north of the town hall.

I agree the fly-through is somewhat bland. There seemed to be cafes and food outlets but no food court that I noticed. I think the blandness is in part that it is filled with mannequins not moving people.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#312 Post by SRW » Fri May 12, 2023 1:13 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:45 am
SRW wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 10:17 am
claybro wrote:

I find it puzzling that in growing so large they still show no indication of providing a functioning community heart. It is and looks to remain souless -- a centre with no centre. Meanwhile, because of its growing gravity, it will worsen The Parade's decline and subtract somewhat from the CBD's potential.
What do you see is missing? The Burnside Town Hall and library are diagonally opposite across the intersection on the north end. It has a sign for the Burnside Ballroom (I don't know if it functions as a community space). The Burnside City Uniting Church is just north of the town hall.

I agree the fly-through is somewhat bland. There seemed to be cafes and food outlets but no food court that I noticed. I think the blandness is in part that it is filled with mannequins not moving people.
I would have liked to see the redevolpement orientate more toward Greenhill Road to connect with the adjacent facilities and provide something of a high street or internal plaza experience. A defined and discernable place for people to gather/meet, rather than what seems to be several competing and bland food courts. The original proposal for the Castle Plaza redevelopment made some strides toward this sort of thing.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#313 Post by Ben » Fri May 12, 2023 4:59 pm

I don't think "food courts" cater for the target market. I think this looks great, but will be at the expense of the CBD getting these stores which is where they are located in every other city (except those large enough to have multiple stores) which is a shame.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#314 Post by A-Town » Fri May 12, 2023 6:58 pm

Apparently Tiffany & Co are leaving their North Tce store and moving to Burnside Village.

https://omny.fm/shows/david-and-will/pe ... -z5x7sURSE

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#315 Post by SRW » Fri May 12, 2023 7:24 pm

A-Town wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 6:58 pm
Apparently Tiffany & Co are leaving their North Tce store and moving to Burnside Village.

https://omny.fm/shows/david-and-will/pe ... -z5x7sURSE
Hate to agree with David Penberthy, but the assessment of the city centre's decline ('becoming a dump') is sadly pretty correct, with this apparently being the prime motivator for Tiffany's abandoning it.
Keep Adelaide Weird