[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5956 Post by muzzamo » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:09 am

aceman wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:14 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:41 pm
One of the lanes in each direction in the tunnel should be a HOV (bus/truck) lane. I know it failed but a bus lane along Anzac Highway from South Road to City should be implemented either on side or middle like Hackney Road .
What’s so special about the tunnel? it’s not done on any other part north or south.
The cost makes it special - at a couple of billion per km it’s too expensive to waste exclusively on single occupant passenger vehicles.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5957 Post by rev » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:10 am

muzzamo wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:09 am
aceman wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:14 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:41 pm
One of the lanes in each direction in the tunnel should be a HOV (bus/truck) lane. I know it failed but a bus lane along Anzac Highway from South Road to City should be implemented either on side or middle like Hackney Road .
What’s so special about the tunnel? it’s not done on any other part north or south.
The cost makes it special - at a couple of billion per km it’s too expensive to waste exclusively on single occupant passenger vehicles.
There will likely be bus stops on the surface road line there is with T2T.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5958 Post by Nort » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:55 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:47 pm
Saltwater wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:08 am
The problem with southbound exits onto Henley Beach Road is its an easy left hand turn for those heading into the city, one set of lights, under the Bakewell Underpass to West Terrace and onto Currie Street. Its almost too convenient so would cause gridlock. Adding northbound tunnels onto SDB would make a big mess of Mile End, which the local community group has been very protective of (and for good reason I say, as many homes in the area are 100+ years old)
1. Which is why other arterial roads need upgrading as part of a wider improvement of our road transport infrastructure. Of course this is Adelaide, so it might happen years down the track as an after thought.

2. Who cares if they are 100 years old. Age does not mean something should be kept.
Those 100 year old buildings have no significance or relevance to anyone outside of those in that area who live in them.
So what's more important, the greater good for the city and state that is of relevance to every South Australian, or the minor issue locally significant to a minority group?
Because steadily demolishing the inner suburbs to encourage increasing sprawl of the outer suburbs is real 1950s thinking that it's ok for people to say no to.

abc
Legendary Member!

#5959 Post by abc » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:24 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:47 pm
Saltwater wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:08 am
The problem with southbound exits onto Henley Beach Road is its an easy left hand turn for those heading into the city, one set of lights, under the Bakewell Underpass to West Terrace and onto Currie Street. Its almost too convenient so would cause gridlock. Adding northbound tunnels onto SDB would make a big mess of Mile End, which the local community group has been very protective of (and for good reason I say, as many homes in the area are 100+ years old)
1. Which is why other arterial roads need upgrading as part of a wider improvement of our road transport infrastructure. Of course this is Adelaide, so it might happen years down the track as an after thought.

2. Who cares if they are 100 years old. Age does not mean something should be kept.
Those 100 year old buildings have no significance or relevance to anyone outside of those in that area who live in them.
So what's more important, the greater good for the city and state that is of relevance to every South Australian, or the minor issue locally significant to a minority group?
this guy

ChillyPhilly

#5960 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:50 pm

I've transposed two updated design maps over SAPPA imagery. Please click on each image for larger.

1. Northern Portal Tunnel Connector (Brickworks):

2. ANZAC Highway

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev

#5961 Post by rev » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:11 pm

I wonder how the bunker will hold up with a tbm going underneath it.

SBD

#5962 Post by SBD » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:17 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:11 pm
I wonder how the bunker will hold up with a tbm going underneath it.
It's bomb proof... :banana:

ChillyPhilly

#5963 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:22 pm

There is now temporary fencing around the properties at 614 (Safe Place Accommodation) and 616 South Road. For context, this is at the south-west of the Gallipoli Underpass area and is the northernmost of properties that were spared acquisition and demolition by the original Underpass in the 2000s.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev

#5964 Post by rev » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:02 pm

Here we go again...lol
Darlington interchange traffic delays to return amid $7m fix
Traffic restrictions are back at the $620m Darlington interchange as new work is undertaken to fix another retaining wall in danger of collapsing.
Colin James
@ColinJamesTiser
less than 2 min read
January 14, 2023 - 6:35PM

Motorists using the $620m Darlington interchange face new delays as urgent work is undertaken to fix one of its main retaining walls.

Frequent heavy rain throughout 2022 is believed to have destabilised a section on the western side of the lowered motorway between the Sturt Rd bridge and Flinders Dve.

Speed and lane restrictions already have been implemented ahead of remediation works similar to those required when other walls collapsed during construction of the interchange in 2019.

The contractor responsible for the project, Gateway South, has been unable to obtain certification for some sections of the interchange, leading to a protracted dispute with the Infrastructure and Transport Department.

Monitoring and site investigations recently detected new movement in the western walls, leading to a decision to spend $7m on fixing them.

Work will start on Monday, forcing the closure of two lanes on the western side and restrictions to the right turn lanes from Main South Rd into Sturt Rd for at least two months.

Infrastructure Minister Tom Koutsantonis said motorists were advised to take extra care when travelling in the area, allow extra time and observe signage and instructions of traffic management staff.

“We have already seen what can happen if the design flaw that led to the 2019 collapse of the concrete retaining walls on the eastern side is not properly dealt with,” he said.

“We apologise to road users for the inconvenience – but it is beyond time this project is brought to completion.”

Mr Koutsantonis said the previous Liberal government should have ensured the walls were fixed before the interchange was opened.

“It was gross negligence and mismanagement by the former Liberal government not to insist both embankments were remediated simultaneously back in 2019 when the original fault was identified and while the project was still in its construction phase, so the works would not have impacted on commuters,” he said.

Mr Koutsantonis said the recent testing and monitoring “shows why a permanent solution needs to be undertaken immediately”

A Liberal spokesman rejected claims it was responsible for the ongoing problems with the interchange, saying Mr Koutsantonis had “kicked an own goal”.

“This debacle started under the former Labor Government in 2016 when they failed to identify existing SA Water pipes before starting the project,” he said.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 93440f692b

abc
Legendary Member!

#5965 Post by abc » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:23 pm

how can we trust the government to build tunnels when they cant even get retaining walls right

greenknight
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5966 Post by greenknight » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:36 pm

abc wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:23 pm
how can we trust the government to build tunnels when they cant even get retaining walls right
To be totally honest, i think they should scrap tunnels and just do a raised / lowered motorway the entire length.

Yes peoples homes & businesses will go.

Yes some heritage listed things will go.

I think though, that a raised / lowered motorway the whole length, would
a) allow for a speedier delivery
b) be cheaper
c) utilise the skillforce from within south australia (no sa builders have experience with tunnels, so it needs to be imported)
d) the big one, it allows for expansion.

How do you expand tunnels when they are at capacity? you build more tunnels.

How do you expand a lowered motorway? you build out to the side.

It is not just about fixing it, but allowing for future developments as traffic increases.

SBD

#5967 Post by SBD » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pm

greenknight wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:36 pm
abc wrote:
To be totally honest, i think they should scrap tunnels and just do a raised / lowered motorway the entire length.

b) be cheaper
c) utilise the skillforce from within south australia (no sa builders have experience with tunnels, so it needs to be imported)

It is not just about fixing it, but allowing for future developments as traffic increases.
How were the Heysen Tunnels built? Did SA have some boring experience, or were they done with mining techniques? SA has several large underground mines. The Carrapateena mine decline was dug less than a decade ago. The decline is 7.5km long, but possibly through rock not silt so I don't know if it's comparable..

greenknight
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5968 Post by greenknight » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:56 pm

Heysen tunnels were built using mining machines -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heysen_Tunnels

They are slightly different, normal tunnel boring machines are usually made by herrenknecht (even the boring company by elon uses these machines). They put in concrete shell at the same time whilst tunneling.

a lot of the mining tunnels dont use these sort of machines, they dig it out, then they spray the concrete on to seal it. They dont want hard structure because what happens if they want to mine that section later. less permanent but more maintenance.
SBD wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pm
How were the Heysen Tunnels built? Did SA have some boring experience, or were they done with mining techniques? SA has several large underground mines. The Carrapateena mine decline was dug less than a decade ago. The decline is 7.5km long, but possibly through rock not silt so I don't know if it's comparable..

Nort

#5969 Post by Nort » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:20 pm

greenknight wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:36 pm
abc wrote:

b) be cheaper

Citation needed that it would be cheaper, given the vast amount of acquisition and demolition that would be required.

rhino

#5970 Post by rhino » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:51 am

Nort wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:20 pm

Citation needed that it would be cheaper, given the vast amount of acquisition and demolition that would be required.
^^ This ^^
cheers,
Rhino