[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5941 Post by Spotto » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:36 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:05 pm
The section of South Rd between Darlington and Castle Plaza is quite similar to the areas around the T2T and R2P prior to them being upgraded. Mostly retail and light industry along the corridor, with residential behind. If a trench was deemed suitable through T2T and R2P, why isn't a similar solution being built north from Darlington?
The southern half of T2D is the most industrial section of the North-South Motorway (aside from the Superway which required very minimal acquisition). The other sections have been predominantly residential which I guess are easier/cheaper to acquire, not to mention less economically damaging forcing residents to move versus a truckload of businesses.

Having light industrial land between the surface South Road and residential properties also keeps people’s homes further from the noise of traffic.

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

#5942 Post by Vasco » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:33 pm

SBD wrote:
rev wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:42 pm
I notice in one of the pages posted above, they mention the southern tunnel portal will move by 300m to the north.

I assume that they mean the tunnel will be 300m shorter?
I interpreted it that way. Mr Koutsantonis likes the trench through part of his electorate, and wants to share the enjoyment with more of his southern neighbours.
I live in the southern tunnel entry/exit wider vicinity (however not nearly close enough to be impacted by acquisitions etc)

Notwithstanding the functional benefits of the improved design, the rework will regenerate a much larger surface road area which is currently a very ugly semi-industrial / commercial zone. It may create connectivity issues, however it’s difficult enough as it is to try and cross south road in any event with the current road.

Therefore I personally more than welcome what in my eyes looks to be a visually well designed replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5943 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:42 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:05 pm
Admittedly I haven't delved too far into the info that was released last week so apologies if this is answered there, but what is the rational behind the Southern section being a tunnel rather than a trench?

The section of South Rd between Darlington and Castle Plaza is quite similar to the areas around the T2T and R2P prior to them being upgraded. Mostly retail and light industry along the corridor, with residential behind. If a trench was deemed suitable through T2T and R2P, why isn't a similar solution being built north from Darlington?

Is the volume of traffic too high that construction of a trench wouldn't be possible? Is there contaminated soil? Some other factor at play?

Or is it just that the impacts of a trench on the urban area have been deemed to be too high, with a tunnel being the better solution?
It's a tunnel rather than a trench to reduce the sheer amount of property acquisition, and to reduce visual/sonic impact. A tunnel also allows for better access across the corridor.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#5944 Post by Nort » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:34 pm

Imagine that industrial and commercial property acquisition is a lot more expensive in sites like this. For residential properties there's the emotional distress of a forced move, and making sure that the payment covers a suitable replacement, but everything else being equal most people would prefer to not live on a main road. For businesses being on a busy road is a valuable asset that is hard to replace.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5945 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:17 pm

Here are the updated maps.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#5946 Post by SBD » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:40 pm

Have I correctly interpreted that there will be a Southbound ON ramp at the current southern end of T2T, but there will be no OFF ramp between Port Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive, so the current Port Road exit will be road to the airport from the north as well as the main road to the City? Have I missed a Henley Beach Road or Ashwin Parade exit?

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5947 Post by Saltwater » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:25 am

SBD wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:40 pm
Have I correctly interpreted that there will be a Southbound ON ramp at the current southern end of T2T, but there will be no OFF ramp between Port Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive, so the current Port Road exit will be road to the airport from the north as well as the main road to the City? Have I missed a Henley Beach Road or Ashwin Parade exit?
Sounds right. During the reference groups someone from DIT mentioned most of the traffic that side of the city goes down Holbrooks and Airport Roads. Part of the plan also involves upgrading Richmond Road for freight access to the airport, but not sure if that is ever meant to consider passenger traffic given they'd need to get it around the runway. The Liberal Government at one point had a plan for a "missing link" tunnel between the NSM and Airport, and I could swear I've seen ground investigation works happening around Hilton Woolies, but not sure where that ever got to.

SBD

#5948 Post by SBD » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:51 am

Saltwater wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:25 am
SBD wrote:
Sounds right. During the reference groups someone from DIT mentioned most of the traffic that side of the city goes down Holbrooks and Airport Roads. Part of the plan also involves upgrading Richmond Road for freight access to the airport, but not sure if that is ever meant to consider passenger traffic given they'd need to get it around the runway. The Liberal Government at one point had a plan for a "missing link" tunnel between the NSM and Airport, and I could swear I've seen ground investigation works happening around Hilton Woolies, but not sure where that ever got to.
Yeah, we used that route because the traffic after we get off the NSM at the River Torrens is either always bad or highly variable. The afternoon peak traffic queue on Ashwin Parade is a clue that there's a demand for northbound access from that area. Before the NSM, the preferred taxi route was sometimes Salisbury Highway/South Road/Grand Junction Road/Cheltenham Parade, or Regency Road/David Terrace. Not providing southbound exit/northbound entrance south of Port Road will increase traffic on surrounding streets that is currently coming off the southern end of T2T to reach the Airport/Brooklyn Park/Mile End area.

Northbound access to the airport isn't required either because people can use Marion Road or Brighton Road (Google's current suggestions from Christies Beach at 0845 a couple days before Christmas).

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5949 Post by rev » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:04 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:51 am
Saltwater wrote:
SBD wrote:
Yeah, we used that route because the traffic after we get off the NSM at the River Torrens is either always bad or highly variable. The afternoon peak traffic queue on Ashwin Parade is a clue that there's a demand for northbound access from that area. Before the NSM, the preferred taxi route was sometimes Salisbury Highway/South Road/Grand Junction Road/Cheltenham Parade, or Regency Road/David Terrace. Not providing southbound exit/northbound entrance south of Port Road will increase traffic on surrounding streets that is currently coming off the southern end of T2T to reach the Airport/Brooklyn Park/Mile End area.

Northbound access to the airport isn't required either because people can use Marion Road or Brighton Road (Google's current suggestions from Christies Beach at 0845 a couple days before Christmas).
That's not how it works.
That might be what Google Maps shows you now, but when there's a motorway/freeway, that becomes the preferred option on Google Maps because it's quicker.
So access is very much needed, since its going to add congestion, and that access should be built with as few intersections as possible off the motorway.

SBD

#5950 Post by SBD » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:54 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:04 pm
SBD wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:51 am
Saltwater wrote:

That's not how it works.
That might be what Google Maps shows you now, but when there's a motorway/freeway, that becomes the preferred option on Google Maps because it's quicker.
So access is very much needed, since its going to add congestion, and that access should be built with as few intersections as possible off the motorway.
My point was that apparently "they" don't need a southbound exit between Port Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive because people going to the airport from the northern suburbs currently/historically use Holbrooks Road instead. If that is a good reason for people coming from the north not to use the motorway, then Marion and Brighton Roads provide the equivalent scenario from the south. I expected a southbound exit somewhere between where the motorway currently ends and SDBD, probably before Henley Beach Road.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5951 Post by Saltwater » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:08 am

The problem with southbound exits onto Henley Beach Road is its an easy left hand turn for those heading into the city, one set of lights, under the Bakewell Underpass to West Terrace and onto Currie Street. Its almost too convenient so would cause gridlock. Adding northbound tunnels onto SDB would make a big mess of Mile End, which the local community group has been very protective of (and for good reason I say, as many homes in the area are 100+ years old)

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5952 Post by rev » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:47 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:08 am
The problem with southbound exits onto Henley Beach Road is its an easy left hand turn for those heading into the city, one set of lights, under the Bakewell Underpass to West Terrace and onto Currie Street. Its almost too convenient so would cause gridlock. Adding northbound tunnels onto SDB would make a big mess of Mile End, which the local community group has been very protective of (and for good reason I say, as many homes in the area are 100+ years old)
1. Which is why other arterial roads need upgrading as part of a wider improvement of our road transport infrastructure. Of course this is Adelaide, so it might happen years down the track as an after thought.

2. Who cares if they are 100 years old. Age does not mean something should be kept.
Those 100 year old buildings have no significance or relevance to anyone outside of those in that area who live in them.
So what's more important, the greater good for the city and state that is of relevance to every South Australian, or the minor issue locally significant to a minority group?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#5953 Post by Eurostar » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:41 pm

One of the lanes in each direction in the tunnel should be a HOV (bus/truck) lane. I know it failed but a bus lane along Anzac Highway from South Road to City should be implemented either on side or middle like Hackney Road .

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5954 Post by aceman » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:14 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:41 pm
One of the lanes in each direction in the tunnel should be a HOV (bus/truck) lane. I know it failed but a bus lane along Anzac Highway from South Road to City should be implemented either on side or middle like Hackney Road .
What’s so special about the tunnel? it’s not done on any other part north or south.

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#5955 Post by MT269 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:49 pm

Anzac Hwy should have a bus lane from the Tapleys intersection to Keswick as well. As should Goodwood Rd on the side heading towards the city.