Tour Down Under

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Tour Down Under

#91 Post by Wayno » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 pm

here's the Tracy Gaudry interview: ABC 891

She was interviewed as a candidate for the role of 'Australian Cycling President' and Australia's rep for cycling in Oceania. Voting occurs sometime in Feb i believe.
She says we're at a pivotal time in history of cycling.
If successful she will focus on promoting cycling in general, removing drugs from the sport, and seek increased funding to promote & grow.
She wants to bring more world class events to Australia & Oceania (Guam & Fiji were mentioned).
She does not subscribe to having only one major event in Australia. She wants to broaden & deepen Australia's engagement by bringing european riders (during their winter) to Australia for an extended period - more than one event.
She also wants more focus/attention to bmx & mountain biking.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#92 Post by Nathan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:06 pm

Headed out with my new camera to the final stage today, and here are some selections:

Full size on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathan_ada ... 48/detail/

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#93 Post by Wayno » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:48 pm

Good pikkies maximus. Thanks for sharing. It sure was a great day in the city, capping off a fantastic week of racing. The Mclaren vale/Willunga race was the pick of the bunch IMHO.

The intensity of racing seemed higher this year. Noted today's race was 7 minutes shy of two hours - significantly faster than previous years for the same circuit if I remember correctly.

Obviously like it when an Aussie wins, but *almost* better when an European wins as it means more publicity/visibility for adelaide & SA :-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#94 Post by Vee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:42 am

Great pics, Nathan.

Hi Wayno. Thanks for posting the link but that wasn't the Tracey Gaudry interview I referred to in my earlier post. (She was interviewed briefly on ABC891 during the Tour Down Under.)

Update:
This news item has a more positive spin.
Tour Down Under Future (more) secure as accolades flow.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/tou ... 6563075124

Interesting that Stuart O'Grady said that the crowds for the TDU event were second only to the Tour De France in size, following up on Simon Gerran's comment on the size, atmosphere that the crowds were "just like" the Tour De France.

Great event. Fabulous weather. Terrific atmosphere and that includes the Tour Village/Expo. Must have been huge sales of bikes and merchandise.
Pity the eastern states-centric media don't get more on board, although coverage is improving.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#95 Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:06 pm

Wayno wrote:Good pikkies maximus. Thanks for sharing.
No worries, Wayno. Although credit should probably go to Nathan... :wink: Either that or I have a REALLY big telephoto lens, considering my present location... :lol:
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#96 Post by Wayno » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:59 pm

Maximus wrote:credit should probably go to Nathan... :wink:
oops. thanks Nathan!!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#97 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:32 pm

One thing I personally found a bit cringeworthy was how every few minutes (it seemed) there was a mini documentry on Adelaide and it's surrounds. It seemed to me a bit desperate and overkill. You don't see a mini doco on Melbourne during the Aus open every few mins?

Aidan

#98 Post by Aidan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Ben wrote:One thing I personally found a bit cringeworthy was how every few minutes (it seemed) there was a mini documentry on Adelaide and it's surrounds. It seemed to me a bit desperate and overkill. You don't see a mini doco on Melbourne during the Aus open every few mins?
But you do see mini docos on France during the Tour de France.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#99 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Ben wrote:One thing I personally found a bit cringeworthy was how every few minutes (it seemed) there was a mini documentry on Adelaide and it's surrounds. It seemed to me a bit desperate and overkill. You don't see a mini doco on Melbourne during the Aus open every few mins?
They also spelt Rundle St as Rundel St, and showed snipets of Chinatown in that package.

ghs

#100 Post by ghs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:57 pm

I agree 100%.

Also I'd be interested in how they come up with the crowd numbers.

I drove through the city about 1 hour before that first prologue on the sunday night and I
also saw some of it on TV.

According to the media there was 100,000 people there but I don't think there was that many.

ghs

#101 Post by ghs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:09 pm

Apparently the state government has no legal basis to pursue Armstrong about returning the money
that was paid to him a few years ago.

So I was disappointed about Jay Weatherill saying that Lance Armstrong should think about
returning the money which the SA government paid him.

Why should he do that ?

He came here, drew a massive number of spectators to Adelaide and fulfilled his obligations.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#102 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:26 pm

I don't agree, i like those advertorials. Also those interested in cycling will watch the TV coverage regardless, some may cringe (mostly locals perhaps?) but many interstate & OS folk won't, and it's a superb way of showcasing our state - call it 'subliminal yet in your face' advertising to a captive audience :-)

As mentioned above it's par for the course in the Tour De France, so why not with the TDU - especially when viewed internationally! In my opinion it's a win whether it generates 100, 1000 or 10000+ extra tourists, or simply more positive vibes about Adelaide & SA.

Also spending big on bikes & bike gear is still a growing trend. There's plenty of cashed up MAMILS who love cycling and good wine and are probably considering a trip to SA (for the next TDU) based on those advertorials. A brilliant blend.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#103 Post by peas_and_corn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:33 pm

ghs wrote:Apparently the state government has no legal basis to pursue Armstrong about returning the money
that was paid to him a few years ago.

So I was disappointed about Jay Weatherill saying that Lance Armstrong should think about
returning the money which the SA government paid him.

Why should he do that ?

He came here, drew a massive number of spectators to Adelaide and fulfilled his obligations.
Exactly- he was paid to turn up, he turned up. Contract fulfilled!

Vee
Legendary Member!

#104 Post by Vee » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Wayno wrote: i like those advertorials. Also those interested in cycling will watch the TV coverage regardless, some may cringe (mostly locals perhaps?) but many interstate & OS folk won't, and it's a superb way of showcasing our state - call it 'subliminal yet in your face' advertising to a captive audience :-)

As mentioned above it's par for the course in the Tour De France, so why not with the TDU .....

Also spending big on bikes & bike gear is still a growing trend. There's plenty of cashed up MAMILS who love cycling and good wine and are probably considering a trip to SA (for the next TDU) based on those advertorials. A brilliant blend.
Must admit, the Tour de France - wonderful scenery blended with the cycling event- was a catalyst for my trip to France. The TDU advertorials can be annoying for local residents but Wayno makes a good point about interstate/OS audiences and the lure of food and wine, indulgence tourism as well as "off the well worn path" to other pursuits eg Kangaroo Island, Flinders Ranges, diving with sharks off Port Lincoln etc.

I was amazed at the number of cashed up cycling fans observed out and about and at the TDU Village. The sense of camaraderie among cycling fans was another buzz. Saw special cycling tour operators (vehicles & customers) outside the Hilton and cycling merchandise selling like the proverbial in the Village and Expo. The international flags flying in Victoria Square was a great sight.

The TDU is great for the economy and spinoffs to tourism. It coincides with school holidays so this adds to its appeal as a family event and boosts crowd numbers.

I would like to see more credit given to SA events other than the 'Mad March' tag. The TDU is right up there in January and the city and near regions benefit from the influx of visitors and added buzz. Looks like 'Tasting Australia' (another catchy, expressive event name) is getting a makeover now that is locally managed and this is sure to grow bigger and better on the SA Events Calendar.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#105 Post by Maximus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:10 pm

Very surprised to have only just discovered this media release. Doesn't appear to have received any coverage in the Radvertiser or anywhere else. Nevertheless, a very good news story.
Record results for Santos Tour Down Under

New figures confirm the 2013 Santos Tour Down Under was an overwhelming success, with increases in visitor numbers, economic impact, media coverage and TV broadcast hours.

Tourism Minister Leon Bignell said the increase in interstate and international visitors, along with the growth of media coverage and TV broadcast hours, illustrates the strength and popularity of the race.

"The event attracted more than 760,400 people to Adelaide and regional South Australia across eight days, including 40,000 interstate and international visitors who travelled here specifically for the event,” Mr Bignell said.

“Today’s announcement of key research findings for the 2013 event highlights the value the Santos Tour Down Under delivers to South Australia, including an economic impact of $43.6 million.”

continues...
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.