The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1096 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:20 pm

rev wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 am
We will always be a largely Labor State.

We are a low income, low socioeconomic area surrounded by sparsely inhabited regional areas.

To Labors credit they know that hence the underdevelopment of our regional areas, who traditionally don't vote Labor.

Its worse on a Federal level because we are largely safe seats, meaning we will be ignored further on a national level.

20 years of decline is starting to bite, but hopefully these defence contracts come to fruition and drive population growth and sone economic prosperity.
Defence contracts? Wait till everyone finds out what ASC will really be doing Image
What ever it is. Hopefully it's jobs

Nort

#1097 Post by Nort » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:37 am

SRW wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:29 pm
At some point, SA's gonna have to face up to its whacky electoral geography and introduce proportional representation for the lower house (preferably in the method of Tas or NZ).
I would love to see that happen.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1098 Post by Goodsy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:39 pm

Stephen Knoll has resigned as Transport Minister

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1099 Post by rev » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:57 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:39 pm
Stephen Knoll has resigned as Transport Minister
There's 2 others gone as well.

This is only the tip of the iceberg that's made it to the public because someone stuffed up and it couldn't be swept under the rug. The level of corruption in politics, across all the main parties (Greens included) would blow most peoples minds. Jobs for the "family" wouldn't adequately describe the amount of corruption that goes on across all levels.

Does anyone really believe that Knoll is the only one whose done what he's been caught doing?

If we had a truly independent ICAC look at them all going back for the last 20 years, we'd probably lose a quarter of our politicians and many public servants would be out of a job as well (especially those connected to politicians).

I wont get too specific other then to say that above, but those who know, know what I'm talking about.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#1100 Post by NTRabbit » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:23 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:57 pm
There's 2 others gone as well.

This is only the tip of the iceberg that's made it to the public because someone stuffed up and it couldn't be swept under the rug. The level of corruption in politics, across all the main parties (Greens included) would blow most peoples minds. Jobs for the "family" wouldn't adequately describe the amount of corruption that goes on across all levels.

Does anyone really believe that Knoll is the only one whose done what he's been caught doing?

If we had a truly independent ICAC look at them all going back for the last 20 years, we'd probably lose a quarter of our politicians and many public servants would be out of a job as well (especially those connected to politicians).

I wont get too specific other then to say that above, but those who know, know what I'm talking about.
Transport Minister Stephan Knoll, Primary Industries Minister Tim Whetstone, Trade Minister David Ridgway, and Upper House President Terry Stephens.

ABC says ICAC is going to be looking at the last 10 years, but only of allowances paid to country MPs, not anything else.

The only credit I'll give them is that, unlike some of the ghastly criminals in the Federal government who spin and deflect and use a badly compromised AFP to muddy the waters - Cash, Dutton, Joyce, Taylor, just for starters - they've actually resigned from the ministry. Not from parliament altogether mind you, but it's a small start.

rev

#1101 Post by rev » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:06 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:23 pm
ABC says ICAC is going to be looking at the last 10 years, but only of allowances paid to country MPs, not anything else.
That's unfortunate. They should look at EVERYTHING at least for that period.
There's many in tax payer funded jobs who don't deserve to be there. It wouldn't be as bad from the Liberal side, would look far worse for Labor given how long they were in power for.
Many people on 100k+ jobs, tax payers money, that they don't deserve because it wasn't earned through merit. You get my drift.
The only credit I'll give them is that, unlike some of the ghastly criminals in the Federal government who spin and deflect and use a badly compromised AFP to muddy the waters - Cash, Dutton, Joyce, Taylor, just for starters - they've actually resigned from the ministry. Not from parliament altogether mind you, but it's a small start.
If they resign entirely, will they still receive their pension?
Now that they've quit their ministry portfolios, they obviously take a salary pay cut. What about their pension? Do they receive the pension associated with the ministry, or that of a backbencher (I presume they're moving to the back bench)...?

SBD

#1102 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:33 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:06 am
NTRabbit wrote:
There's many in tax payer funded jobs who don't deserve to be there. It wouldn't be as bad from the Liberal side, would look far worse for Labor given how long they were in power for.
Many people on 100k+ jobs, tax payers money, that they don't deserve because it wasn't earned through merit. You get my drift.
Now that they've quit their ministry portfolios, they obviously take a salary pay cut. What about their pension? Do they receive the pension associated with the ministry, or that of a backbencher (I presume they're moving to the back bench)...?
Who is paying for Peter Malinauskas and his friends to have a trip to the Limestone Coast? The trip has happy snaps in Mount Gambier, Naracoorte on his Twitter feed.

If any of them stay a night with friends or relatives, or have a meal at their friend's place, they need to be careful to make sure they exclude it from their expense claims, which should include the reason why the members for Croydon, Elizabeth etc are in the electorates of Mount Gambier (held by Independent Troy Bell), MacKillop (Liberal Nick McBride) etc.

Clare Scriven MLC lives at Port McDonnell. I bet she is being VERY careful about her expense claims this week.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#1103 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:43 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:33 pm
rev wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:
Who is paying for Peter Malinauskas and his friends to have a trip to the Limestone Coast? The trip has happy snaps in Mount Gambier, Naracoorte on his Twitter feed.

If any of them stay a night with friends or relatives, or have a meal at their friend's place, they need to be careful to make sure they exclude it from their expense claims, which should include the reason why the members for Croydon, Elizabeth etc are in the electorates of Mount Gambier (held by Independent Troy Bell), MacKillop (Liberal Nick McBride) etc.

Clare Scriven MLC lives at Port McDonnell. I bet she is being VERY careful about her expense claims this week.
Big difference between a shadow cabinet (presume that is what you mean by Malinauskas' "friends") doing their job and trying to hear the views of the broader South Australian electorate outside Adelaide - as an opposition should vs. those rorting an allowance over a number of years. Utterly incomparable and moronic example, try harder.

SBD

#1104 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:20 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:43 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:33 pm
rev wrote:

Big difference between a shadow cabinet (presume that is what you mean by Malinauskas' "friends") doing their job and trying to hear the views of the broader South Australian electorate outside Adelaide - as an opposition should vs. those rorting an allowance over a number of years. Utterly incomparable and moronic example, try harder.
Nobody has disputed that country MPs are "doing their job" by staying overnight in Adelaide when Parliament is sitting or they need to be there for other government business reasons. The disputes and accusations of rorting relate to whether they paid for hotel rooms or stayed with family or in their second home (and which is primary), and about exactly which nights they claimed for, as I understand it. Have I missed something?

It looks like the ALP has identified some rural electorates that are potential gains for them at the next election, and they want to be seen by those locals.

Do members get an extra allowance/pay grade to be Shadow Ministers over being ordinary MPs?

There are three other parties in the Legislative Council and a total of four independents in the Assembly. They should also be entitled to receive just as much for touring the state to hear the views of the population outside of their own electorates.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1105 Post by SRW » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:47 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:20 pm
Do members get an extra allowance/pay grade to be Shadow Ministers over being ordinary MPs?

There are three other parties in the Legislative Council and a total of four independents in the Assembly. They should also be entitled to receive just as much for touring the state to hear the views of the population outside of their own electorates.
We have the Westminster system. Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition is an official status in parliament (just like the Speaker and President of the respective chambers), and so members of the shadow cabinet do receive a stipend equivalent to ministers. My understanding is that parties other the official opposition can receive allowances for work depending on whether they have party status (usually depends on a certain number of sitting members but ultimately determined by the party that controls parliament) and in what chamber they sit (whereas a legislative councilor putatively represents the whole state, an independent member of a lower house seat has less justification to be working out of their electorate).
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev

#1106 Post by rev » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:45 pm

As a society we've more or less frozen out the far right wing extremists from politics, I think it's about time the radical left wing extremists are frozen out as well.
Allowing one extremist group to flourish will only see opposing extremists gain traction.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1107 Post by Spotto » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:59 pm

It looks like the vandals used bleach or some kind of cleaner which removed the tarnishing/weathering. Not sure what can be done other than completely removing the weathering on the rest of the pig and bringing it back to “fresh” metal. Very petty attack on a completely uncontroversial Adelaide icon.

rhino

#1108 Post by rhino » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:15 am

Honestly, I am totally against any form of graffiti, except what is done with permission (e.g. council promoted graffiti walls). It just shits me that people think it's okay to deface public property or someone else's private property. What's really weird is that these fuckwits think they have a right to do it.
cheers,
Rhino

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#1109 Post by ynotsfables » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Surely these idiots would have been caught by some security camera footage?

Waewick

#1110 Post by Waewick » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:19 pm

Well we really got a glimpse of the importance of SA in the budget.

The biggest infrastructure item a Hahndorf beautification program.

I like Hahndorf, but bloody hell

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk