The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1126 Post by SBD » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:31 pm

I'm also surprised Marshall has backed Chapman so strongly, but more because that's not what I'm used to hearing populist politicians do.

I think she is right that she actually had no conflict, as her family property is opposite the forest, which will be logged anyway, not the port site or transport route that would be different for this port than another. It appears now that she has a perceived conflict, but I'm not sure if she should have anticipated that.

Malinauskas is likely to end up being a victim of his own back-room-style antics. Nick Champion has announced he is leaving the safe Federal seat of Spence for a safe state seat. Is he going to be comfortable sitting quietly on the back bench? The back room has arranged for a seat to be available for Champion, and put a quiet male union official in for his old seat, rather than an outspoken younger female with world experience and a vision.

[Shuz]

#1127 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:52 pm

You're surprised? Have either of you not read my posts explaining why. He needs literally every single vote he can get, and if that means backing a Minister who has lost a no confidence motion, he's still gonna do it.

The Governor acts on the advice of the Premier. The Premier has not advised the Governor (yet) that Vicki technically should stand down.

The Parliament has given the notice of no confidence to the Speaker of the House in the hope that he will give it to the Governor himself rather than the Premier and for the Governor to act on that advice. This would be an unprecedented and possibly unconstitutional move if done so. Even if it is supposed to be the right thing to do. If it happens, expect an absolute legal shitstorm to start and constitutional crisis. As far as I'm aware the Speaker is meeting with the Governor right now.

If Parliament launches a no confidence motion against the Premier, and it passes, the Governor will have no choice to invite the Labor Opposition to form Government, or another Liberal to gain the confidence of the Parliament to assume the Premiership, otherwise writs would have to be called for an early election.

To add to the debacle, after the no confidence vote, Marshall tried to have Parliament shut down for the remainder of the term but failed to do so. I read this as an attempt on his part to block any further votes or no confidence motions being passed. Parliament will sit again on November 30 - this does not bode well for Marshall or the Government. The conservatives absolutely loathe Vicki and honestly would rather see her out and the Government fall, so in the aftermath they can reclaim their majority as a faction against the moderates (if they haven't done so already). There was a bit of a shitstorm at the last party executive meetings and preslections last year from memory.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#1128 Post by SBD » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:55 pm

The cross bench seems to be enjoying creating havoc. Given that the Liberal minority government is still bigger than the Labor, I don't see Malinauskas getting to form a government. The crossbench is just as likely to decide that if there has to be a change of premier, it should be Frances Bedford! I think a couple of them have previously spoken out as supporting stable government, which presumably would mean they would support the incumbent in any spill motion. If Marshal loses the confidence of the house, who would be next in line on the Liberal benches (assuming not the current deputy premier)?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1129 Post by rev » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:00 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:15 am
I wouldn't trust Malinouskas so readily.

Honestly Marshall has done a pretty good job as Premier managing COVID
What's he done? Doesn't he and other politicians always say it's based on medical advice usually the CHO?

I wouldn't trust any politician.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#1130 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:47 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:31 pm
I'm also surprised Marshall has backed Chapman so strongly, but more because that's not what I'm used to hearing populist politicians do.

I think she is right that she actually had no conflict, as her family property is opposite the forest, which will be logged anyway, not the port site or transport route that would be different for this port than another. It appears now that she has a perceived conflict, but I'm not sure if she should have anticipated that.

Malinauskas is likely to end up being a victim of his own back-room-style antics. Nick Champion has announced he is leaving the safe Federal seat of Spence for a safe state seat. Is he going to be comfortable sitting quietly on the back bench? The back room has arranged for a seat to be available for Champion, and put a quiet male union official in for his old seat, rather than an outspoken younger female with world experience and a vision.
Marshall isn't a "populist politician."

Of course you think she is right, you're as partisan Liberal as there is on this forum. We'll see what the Ombudsman decides, but the report is pretty damning.

:lol: :lol: look at the Branch vote and see the numbers, it's pretty obvious they wanted an actual local to represent them and provide a voice in parliament - not some carpetbagger with no local connections.

SBD

#1131 Post by SBD » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:42 am

gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:47 pm
SBD wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:31 pm

Marshall isn't a "populist politician."

Of course you think she is right, you're as partisan Liberal as there is on this forum. We'll see what the Ombudsman decides, but the report is pretty damning.

:lol: :lol: look at the Branch vote and see the numbers, it's pretty obvious they wanted an actual local to represent them and provide a voice in parliament - not some carpetbagger with no local connections.
If Marshall was a "populist politician" he'd have dumped Chapman months ago.

I can't find the ALP branch member vote. Alice Dawkins grew up at Eden Valley (now in Barker) and studied at ANU and overseas, not sure where she lives now, maybe Gawler? Matt Burnell grew up in Mildura and worked as a seafarer, and now lives at Hillbank. He has been a union organiser for the TWU for at least five years, and apparently Spence is controlled by the Labor Right which includes the TWU and SDA (where Nick Champion came from). I live in Spence, so tend to look into the likely candidates.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1132 Post by rev » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:12 pm

Who cares about internal politics of the parties, they're all dodgy no matter who you vote for.

Which one of them though is going to fix the economy?

City Central has for lease signs up, the Advertiser building has for lease signs up, and that new office block on Wakefield St has for lease signs up, to name a few. Brand new buildings with vacancies. Just another sign of a struggling economy.

Which one of them is going to commit to finally improving our transport infrastructure entirely and not just the big projects that they can stand in front of and cut ribbons? I'm talking fixing the general state of our road network, improving and expanding the public transport network. Has anything been done about the report that showed almost every bridge in the state needed attention?

Whose going to actually listen to the paramedics, doctors and nurses, and fix health? Labour had their chance, Liberals have had their chance. Both can talk a big game when in opposition, but which one will actually do something besides big projects (where they don't consult with the industry it self ala nRAH)..?

Second lowest average weekly earnings in the country too, slightly ahead of Tasmania.

Fix the economy (which will also address the population issue)
Improve the public transport system
Fix our roads
Fix our health care system
Better fund all other emergency services

SBD

#1133 Post by SBD » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:26 am

The reason I am interested in the internal politics of the parties is that that is where the next member is effectively chosen. Spence (in this example) is a very safe Labor seat. It's highly unlikely to change to Liberal or SA-BEST no matter what candidates are put up.That means the ALP internals, and behind that the SDA and TWU effectively choose my next member in the House of Representatives.

Waewick

#1134 Post by Waewick » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:43 pm

[Shuz] wrote:You're surprised? Have either of you not read my posts explaining why. He needs literally every single vote he can get, and if that means backing a Minister who has lost a no confidence motion, he's still gonna do it.

The Governor acts on the advice of the Premier. The Premier has not advised the Governor (yet) that Vicki technically should stand down.

The Parliament has given the notice of no confidence to the Speaker of the House in the hope that he will give it to the Governor himself rather than the Premier and for the Governor to act on that advice. This would be an unprecedented and possibly unconstitutional move if done so. Even if it is supposed to be the right thing to do. If it happens, expect an absolute legal shitstorm to start and constitutional crisis. As far as I'm aware the Speaker is meeting with the Governor right now.

If Parliament launches a no confidence motion against the Premier, and it passes, the Governor will have no choice to invite the Labor Opposition to form Government, or another Liberal to gain the confidence of the Parliament to assume the Premiership, otherwise writs would have to be called for an early election.

To add to the debacle, after the no confidence vote, Marshall tried to have Parliament shut down for the remainder of the term but failed to do so. I read this as an attempt on his part to block any further votes or no confidence motions being passed. Parliament will sit again on November 30 - this does not bode well for Marshall or the Government. The conservatives absolutely loathe Vicki and honestly would rather see her out and the Government fall, so in the aftermath they can reclaim their majority as a faction against the moderates (if they haven't done so already). There was a bit of a shitstorm at the last party executive meetings and preslections last year from memory.
The problems the conservatives have is they are doing this outside the Party.

The risk they have is Duluk and Cregan are replaced by moderates.

I still think the Libs get wiped out on a federal level and conservative Libs cop the same here.

You can recruit all the nutters you want, it appears the Australian electorates patience with this type is wearing thin.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Waewick

#1135 Post by Waewick » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:44 pm

SBD wrote:The reason I am interested in the internal politics of the parties is that that is where the next member is effectively chosen. Spence (in this example) is a very safe Labor seat. It's highly unlikely to change to Liberal or SA-BEST no matter what candidates are put up.That means the ALP internals, and behind that the SDA and TWU effectively choose my next member in the House of Representatives.
Agreed, I'm in a safe blue seat federally and state

My vote is completely meaningless, be nice to know who is coming up so we know what we are in for

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#1136 Post by HiTouch » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:21 am

For state and Federal Elections, I believe there is no point in voting. Seriously, leave it to established Officials to choose the people most qualified for the job.
So much more streamlined.

[Shuz]

#1137 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:55 pm

So a military junta then. What are you? A communist?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#1138 Post by SBD » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:54 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:55 pm
The men in grey suits and the men in blue ties are not military, so it's not a military junta. They still control more than they should.

Waewick

#1139 Post by Waewick » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:04 pm

[Shuz] wrote:So a military junta then. What are you? A communist?
Option B is improve our democracy

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#1140 Post by HiTouch » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:14 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:55 pm
No, the military are a dumb idea as well. Everybody who votes are either uninformed or unintelligent. Do you really want this sort of crowd choosing who runs the country?