[CAN] 87 - 93 Angas Street | 30-62m | 9-21 lvls | Residential | Palladio

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[CAN] Re: PRO:Palladio-$130m Res-97-99 Angas St - 6xTowers (16-19l

#46 Post by ghs » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:00 am

Well if I just said 'There is a lot of developments in Adelaide backed by chinese people' then maybe
some people would take it the wrong way. You have to be careful when making these comments.

Anyway it would be interesting to count how many Adelaide proposals / developments are backed by chinese.
At least 5 I would say.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#47 Post by jk1237 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:41 am

kinnoda wrote:I think we are definitely going to see a lot more CBD investment. I am hoping that the Government follows a similar approach along transit corridors (i.e. part of the structure plans).

However, we need to remember what makes Adelaide great, and it's not skyscrapers. Good design and strong community outcomes are important. I want to see street activation, with restaurants and some nightlife. Spread the shopping and cafe culture throughout the city. Encourage developers to integrate community facilities such as child care centres and library branches, in exchange for other concessions (i.e. less car parking). Affordable accomodation will also be important, to ensure we have a diverse mixture of people in the city.

The Government has opened the flood gate, now we have the room to drive other improvements. Major projects like this should be put on display (do not get confused with Public Notification) so the developers can voluntarily ask the community what they would like to see become of a site.
well said. I firmly believe one of the best examples of infill housing that has so much street activation, retail integration and a community feeling in the world is right here in the East end of Adelaide. Garden East is a role model. I love strolling through it, love the little square with the Belgian beer bar and the always busy yellow cafe, love Ebenezer Place and its quirky retail, and love how all the traffic calmed streets are open to everyone to walk down, like the architecture, the greenery and how the original historic shopfronts of the market facade are getting quite a lot of new tennants in the last year. Now that we are going up in height, I do hope the developers still take note of Garden East

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#48 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:28 pm

jk1237 wrote:
kinnoda wrote:I think we are definitely going to see a lot more CBD investment. I am hoping that the Government follows a similar approach along transit corridors (i.e. part of the structure plans).

However, we need to remember what makes Adelaide great, and it's not skyscrapers. Good design and strong community outcomes are important. I want to see street activation, with restaurants and some nightlife. Spread the shopping and cafe culture throughout the city. Encourage developers to integrate community facilities such as child care centres and library branches, in exchange for other concessions (i.e. less car parking). Affordable accomodation will also be important, to ensure we have a diverse mixture of people in the city.

The Government has opened the flood gate, now we have the room to drive other improvements. Major projects like this should be put on display (do not get confused with Public Notification) so the developers can voluntarily ask the community what they would like to see become of a site.
well said. I firmly believe one of the best examples of infill housing that has so much street activation, retail integration and a community feeling in the world is right here in the East end of Adelaide. Garden East is a role model. I love strolling through it, love the little square with the Belgian beer bar and the always busy yellow cafe, love Ebenezer Place and its quirky retail, and love how all the traffic calmed streets are open to everyone to walk down, like the architecture, the greenery and how the original historic shopfronts of the market facade are getting quite a lot of new tennants in the last year. Now that we are going up in height, I do hope the developers still take note of Garden East

My main criticism of this area is the restrictions these apartments have placed on the night life in the area. A lot of these apartment developments have had a negative impact on live music at the pubs and have been the catalyst for noise complaints etc.

I was at the Cranka last night and at midnight they had to shut all the windows in the pub to keep noise down. I mean, come on... you live in the CBD, a street away from the main shopping and night life precinct. Deal with the noise, don't try and enforce crazy limitations on pubs.

But building upwards should help alleviate the problem.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by jk1237 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:33 pm

cruel_world00 wrote: My main criticism of this area is the restrictions these apartments have placed on the night life in the area. A lot of these apartment developments have had a negative impact on live music at the pubs and have been the catalyst for noise complaints etc.

I was at the Cranka last night and at midnight they had to shut all the windows in the pub to keep noise down. I mean, come on... you live in the CBD, a street away from the main shopping and night life precinct. Deal with the noise, don't try and enforce crazy limitations on pubs.
very true, I do agree with you on that. Down the road, the Austral built the sound proof bunker and I don't think there's been one live band since thats used it

kinnoda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#50 Post by kinnoda » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:42 pm

I think it is a chicken and the egg argument. What comes first? The business or the apartment?

City residents need to be aware that they will be living near retail, clubs, bands etc. For most, it is the reason why you would live in the city to begin with. And as said, with height increases, you can have a nightclub on the ground floor, five floors of offices and then fourteen floors of apartments, and as long as you don't leave your windows open on a Saturday night, you should not hear too much anyway.

And if you do complain, just GTFO of the city and move back to the burbs with your car and your manicured front lawn, fake-style heritage front portico and standard 1.8 metre Colorbond fencing.
planningandurbandesignaus.tumblr.com

Matt
Legendary Member!

[CAN] PRO:Palladio-$130m Res-97-99 Angas St - 6xTowers (16-19lvls)

#51 Post by Matt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:00 am

kinnoda wrote: And if you do complain, just GTFO of the city and move back to the burbs with your car and your manicured front lawn, fake-style heritage front portico and standard 1.8 metre Colorbond fencing.
HA! Love this.

rhino

#52 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:12 am

kinnoda wrote:City residents need to be aware that they will be living near retail, clubs, bands etc. For most, it is the reason why you would live in the city to begin with.
This happens everywhere, not just in cities. I know someone who moved to Scotland Island in Pittwater, north of Sydney, about 10 years ago. The attraction was that, apart from being water access only, there were no community facilities on the island at all, which actually created a strong community. Now that she has a family, this person is agitating to get approval for someone to open "at least a convenience store" on the island. When I pointed out that the lack of such a facility was the reason many people moved out there in the first place, and when it becomes too hard they move off, she said "But I don't want to move - I like all the other things about the place". Sound familiar?
cheers,
Rhino

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#53 Post by Goya's Line » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:49 pm

The state government legislated (something like the Right of First Occupancy Act) to protect the live music industry when the Austral, Gov and others were fighting off complaints from new neighbours. Some East Enders also tried to impose a curfew on Rundle St. Fringe events a few years ago - didn't work, nor should it.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by Ben » Tue May 29, 2012 11:45 am

Snippert from article from IN Daily:
In the city, meantime, the developer of Palladio, the $140 million apartment project planned for Angas Street, has brought forward the construction date by six months off the back of the stamp duty suspension

Palladio is currently before planning authorities for development approval with a decision expected later this year.

“We would expect the suspension of stamp duty will see acceleration in sales off-the-plan and the construction phase of the project brought forward by at least six months,” Palladio Property Group managing director Bing Chen said in a media statement.

“More broadly I predict this reform will create an upsurge in residential property development in the CBD as more people realise they can afford to make the move to city living.”

Waewick

#55 Post by Waewick » Tue May 29, 2012 12:54 pm

I really am interested in the impacts of the stamp duty change as I am not 100% sold on the price being the major player in people choosing apartments - obviously if it seen as a cheap substitute to suburban living then it will gain some market share.

personally, I believe the big issue is the image of apartments, let's face it Adealiadians have been burnt by some pretty questionable apartments being built after selling the "dream"

I think a 57m2 ex balcony space is probably good enough for 1 bed, it is going to be the design and layout that becomes important - looking forward to seeing what these guys put out.

AdelaideGo
Gold-Member ;)

#56 Post by AdelaideGo » Tue May 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Does projects like this still have to go thru the public notification stage in DAC, like before?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by Ben » Tue May 29, 2012 3:00 pm

AdelaideGo wrote:Does projects like this still have to go thru the public notification stage in DAC, like before?
No, not anymore

AdelaideGo
Gold-Member ;)

#58 Post by AdelaideGo » Tue May 29, 2012 3:26 pm

I see, so the public will get to know what the project is like, only when DAC meeting is held.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by Ben » Tue May 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Unfortunatly yes. And Only if construction or marketing starts.

They are hoping to have this more public in the future though I have been told.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by Ben » Tue May 29, 2012 3:39 pm

Interestingly this article mentions 21 level towers.

http://www.palladioliving.com.au/wp-con ... 5.2012.pdf
Media Release

Monday, 28 May 2012

Stamp duty suspension to bring forward Palladio construction timeline

The developer of Palladio, the $140 million luxury apartment project planned for Angas Street, has
welcomed the South Australian Government’s decision to suspend stamp duty for city apartments
bought off the plan.

Palladio Property Group Managing Director Bing Chen predicted the Government’s reform would bring
the expected commencement date for construction forward by at least six months.

Palladio, which includes one, two and three bedroom apartments and some terrace houses, is currently
before planning authorities for development approval with a decision expected later this year.

“This will be good news for the city’s struggling construction industry and good news for potential buyers
into Palladio,” said Mr Chen.

“We would expect the suspension of stamp duty will see acceleration in sales off the plan and the
construction phase of the project brought forward by at least six months.”

The South Australian Government announced on Sunday it would suspend stamp duty for two years for
apartments bought off the plan up to $500,000 in value. The decision represents a maximum saving of
about $21,000 in stamp duty.

“More broadly I predict this reform will create an upsurge in residential property development in the CBD
as more people realise they can afford to make the move to city living.”

“I have seen this reform work well in Melbourne, where I am from, and we fully expect it to be effective
here in South Australia as well.”

“We came to Adelaide last year because of the forward-looking agenda of the State Government, a
move that was rewarded in March with the reform of the CBD planning rules and again with yesterday’s
announcement,” Mr Chen said.

“We made the right decision to come to South Australia.”
Palladio is currently undergoing development assessment as part of the new CBD approval system
announced in March.

Mr Chen said the CBD apartment market was demanding higher quality and Palladio met those
expectations.

“While the current offerings are struggling to find buyers, we are confident that Palladio offers the high
quality and innovative architecture that will appeal to owner occupiers.”

Palladio will be a “new benchmark” in CBD living. It will see six distinctive boutique apartment buildings
reach up to 21 levels (above ground level) on the south side of Angas Street. Smart design will create apartments filled with natural light and natural ventilation from multiple directions. Specifically, 85 per cent of apartments will have cross ventilation and multiple sources of natural light from at least two
directions, a first for Adelaide’s CBD.

To create a community feeling among residents, there will be open-air interlinking plazas between the
apartment buildings, with pools, gymnasiums and outdoor decks. The staged development will have
more than 250 apartments and each building will have only two to three apartments a floor.

While Palladio is not yet able to market apartments, it is taking expressions of interest from potential
buyers through its website www.palladioliving.com.au.