News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3736 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:48 pm

The plot thickens...

I guess this is what we get for having such a low residential population in the CBD. I wonder what the percentages are for ratepayers eligible to vote in ACC elections in terms of residents vs business owners? Presumably the latter as far less interested in general amenity and will largely vote for candidates supporting cheap and plentiful car parking and easy private car access.

Nort

#3737 Post by Nort » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 pm
Interesting comment from Cr Mackie:
So why, despite being an elected member who advocates bicycle friendly planning, did I vote this motion down, when it was already known that the dominant faction and presiding member intended to kill it off? Simple – confidential, last-minute legal advice. To say more would see me break the law.
It's a bloody bike lane. All I can imagine is that they received some form of advice on how much the lawsuit would likely cost them to fight?

Nonetheless, unless they have a good public reason for voting against this, then they deserve calling it. That "confidential, last-minute legal advice" clearly wasn't scary enough to deter all the members of the council.

Algernon

#3738 Post by Algernon » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:14 pm

:lol:

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3739 Post by mshagg » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:36 pm

Easy enough solution. Compensate them for the loss of the on street parking.

And then charge them for use of the ones that remain...

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3740 Post by jk1237 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:41 am

so what is the actual point of the council? The Team Adelaide creeps are purely on the council as a stepping stone into the state or fed LNP. They have no interest in our city or making it better, they are only councillors as a start to their conservative political careers. Because of their bullshit ideologies, they deem cycling as 'left wing' so they were always going to vote this down right from the start, no matter the positives of the bike lane. So again, we have the actual ACC that employ transport designers/engineers/planners that probably would have encouraged the building of the bike lane, but what on earth is the point of this when we have a bunch of councillors that won't actual listen to the experts, that are voted in by a couple of hundred friends. They need to be disbanded ASAP

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3741 Post by rev » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:45 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 63ae3941ef
Adelaide City Councillor Anne Moran threatens legal action to stop her emails being read aloud in council chamber

Veteran councillor Anne Moran has intervened as a fellow member tried to present 170 emails of her name-calling and allegedly harassing him and other staff.
Colin James
@ColinJamesTiser
3 min read
April 13, 2021 - 10:49PM

A long-serving councillor accused of sending abusive emails has stopped them being read out during a meeting.

North Adelaide resident Anne Moran threatened during a council meeting on Tuesday night to take legal action if Team Adelaide faction leader Alexander Hyde continued reading emails sent to councillors and senior staff.

Cr Hyde attempted to table 170 of Ms Moran’s emails before Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor was advised by governance staff to scrutinise their content first.

The move came as councillors debated staff recommendations about tackling bad behaviour, including restricting contact between elected members and staff.

Changes to the council’s code of conduct were formulated by acting chief executive Clare Mockler following a confidential investigation by an Adelaide law firm, EMA Legal, into allegations of bullying and harassment of staff.

Cr Hyde said the public needed to know the extent of the poor behaviour which was occurring within the council.

“We have all seen the awful harassment and bullying of staff, and others on council like myself,” he said.

“It is precisely why Deputy Lord Mayor (Mary) Couros and I called for this investigation to be undertaken.”

Cr Hyde said he had been described by Cr Moran in emails as “a loser”, “cringe-worthy”, “a lightweight who should zip it”, “rude little shorty”, “tool”, “Napoleon” and “distasteful”.

Cr Hyde said he wanted action taken against bad behaviour within the council because it was creating dysfunction.

“I am worried about ratepayers, I am worried about delivering for them, I am worried about staff,” he said.

Cr Moran interrupted, demanding Cr Hyde should stop because the emails were private.

“Isn’t this a whole motion to stop bullying,” she said. “He is bullying me now.”

Ms Verschoor ordered Cr Hyde to stop reading out the emails until they had been studied by council governance staff.

He responded by saying he was trying to expose the toxic culture within the council.

“This is just the tip of the iceberg,” he said.

“There are hundreds and hundreds of them.

“I am trying to pierce the veil so the public can see the rot in this place.”

Cr Moran said she would take legal action if Cr Hyde continued.

“He has defamed me, he has insulted me and he has held my mental health up to public ridicule,” she said.

Cr Moran had earlier told the debate that the culture within council was the worst she had seen in her 26 years on council.

“The behaviour by some councillors has certainly been challenging and I, as a long term councillor, I can assure the young councillors that has certainly challenged my mental health and my wellbeing,” she said.

“I have never seen anything like it on my time on council.”

Cr Moran said she acknowledged she “might not be the sharpest tool in the shed or sharpest politician” but she knew what a “good council looks like and what good behaviour looks like”.

“This certainly looks nothing like that,” she said.

Cr Moran said she supported action being taken to improve the behaviour of councillors.

“I am sick and tired of the personal abuse, I am sick and tired of being bullied and I am sick and tired of this chamber.”

Cr Couros said she had sought the report by EMA Legal because she was “shocked” by “totally inappropriate emails” she had seen sent by some councillors to staff.

“I was shocked at the way that senior members of council spoke in emails to not only other elected members but also to administration,” she said.

“You would not get away with that in the private sector.

“Honestly, it is shameful, it is embarrassing, it gobsmacked me and it interfered with my own mental health because I could not understand how this is possible in local government.”

Cr Couros said space had to be put between elected members and the administration.

“Honestly, the behaviour is appalling,” she said.

Cr Couros said ratepayers were fed up with hearing about “the crap” coming out of the council.

“We are here as elected representatives, we are here for ratepayers, we are here to do a job,” she said.

“I am using that word because I don’t know what other word to call it.”

Cr Arman Abrahamzideh said “bad things” had happened during email exchanges within the council and, on occasions, he had “felt it necessary to intervene”.

“I have seen countless emails where abuse has been perpetrated by senior members in this chamber towards staff and towards other elected members,” he said.

“We need to call this behaviour out, stamp it out and get rid of it.”

Cr Moran and eight other councillors voted for the measures proposed by Ms Mockler to improve behaviour. Cr Phillip Martin voted against.
Just abolish the ACC already. It can be the first step in abolishing all councils.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3742 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 pm

I would rather question why The Advertiser is happy to commit journalists to this trash and not to more newsworthy stories.

Probably a newsdrop... or maybe trash stories about the City Council get lots of clicks?

How about reporting what's happening with the Riverbank to Market Link? Or the North Terrace footpath upgrade? Or asking the councillors what their overall vision for the city is? Because I would like to know the answers to those questions. But then again, why would they care about the important things?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3743 Post by rev » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 pm
I would rather question why The Advertiser is happy to commit journalists to this trash and not to more newsworthy stories.

Probably a newsdrop... or maybe trash stories about the City Council get lots of clicks?

How about reporting what's happening with the Riverbank to Market Link? Or the North Terrace footpath upgrade? Or asking the councillors what their overall vision for the city is? Because I would like to know the answers to those questions. But then again, why would they care about the important things?
Is there any news on those things for them to report?
Perhaps if councillors were actually pre-occupied with doing what they're supposed to be doing instead of what's mentioned above.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3744 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:33 pm

Norman wrote:

Add to that, where is the plan to overhaul Grenfell/Currie Street. The paving, lighting, the whole streetscrape is deplorable and an embarrassment. I walked along Grenfell on Saturday night a few weeks ago and the lighting was so extremely poor, very unsafe. Not to mention with Sofitel and soon Wyndham Grand and QT eventually opening on Grenfell, the street needs serious investment

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3745 Post by SRW » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:43 am

crawf wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:33 pm
Norman wrote:

Add to that, where is the plan to overhaul Grenfell/Currie Street. The paving, lighting, the whole streetscrape is deplorable and an embarrassment. I walked along Grenfell on Saturday night a few weeks ago and the lighting was so extremely poor, very unsafe. Not to mention with Sofitel and soon Wyndham Grand and QT eventually opening on Grenfell, the street needs serious investment
My perennial bugbear. It's our busiest street but least maintained. Fix it ffs! There would surely be an uptick in public transport use if the street though which most routes pass was more pleasant and safe.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#3746 Post by Nathan » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:00 am

While we're on the topic elsewhere about the cleanliness of North Tce, the path on the southern side of the riverbank — from under the Morphett St bridge along to Elder Park — is on Monday morning, still covered in silt and mud from the downpour last Thursday night. It's our postcard shot, cannot they not even send someone out with a broom to push aside the biggest buildups in three whole days?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3747 Post by how good is he » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:01 am

I am guessing this may have something to do with it...

Adelaide City Council will start selling a secret list of assets as it faces operating losses of almost $100m in four years.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... fdee700fcd

Adelaide City Council rules out small cuts to community events, grants, programs to save $1.5m
It’s desperate to reduce a $34m loss – but debt-laden Adelaide City Council has rejected a staff proposal to cut spending to events such as Anzac Day.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... e29580719d

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#3748 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:18 am

how good is he wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:01 am
I am guessing this may have something to do with it...

Adelaide City Council will start selling a secret list of assets as it faces operating losses of almost $100m in four years.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... fdee700fcd

Adelaide City Council rules out small cuts to community events, grants, programs to save $1.5m
It’s desperate to reduce a $34m loss – but debt-laden Adelaide City Council has rejected a staff proposal to cut spending to events such as Anzac Day.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... e29580719d
Can you paste the AdelaideNow article? I'm interested to know what caused the $100 million loss and there's nothing else on the internet about it.
crawf wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:33 pm
Norman wrote:

In the bus and O-Bahn threads we've posted about turning it into a transit mall. Maybe you'll be interested in my proposal. https://www.sensational-adelaide.com/fo ... 50#p199650

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3749 Post by how good is he » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:07 pm

Here you go....

Adelaide City Council to sell assets including beach volleyball court and car park to raise money for ‘future fund’
A popular inner-city volleyball court and car park will be sold by the financially challenged Adelaide City Council.

Colin James
Follow@ColinJamesTiser
January 13, 2021 - 7:18AM

THE ADVERTISER
Lord Mayor explains the budget
Adelaide Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor explains the council's 20-21 budget. Video: Adelaide City Council https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/3481fe3c ... e5df01c374

Elected members already have voted to put a popular city volleyball court and car park on the market while the details of seven other assets will remain confidential.

The move to sell the Beach Volleyball court on the corner of Pirie Street and Frome Street and adjacent Pirie-Flinders UPark station comes after councillors last month decided to continue a rate freeze.

The former Franklin St bus depot is also expected to be sold. Proceeds will be put into a new “future fund” designed to generate a new income stream to help the council get back into the black.

Councillors last month rejected a staff push to increase the rate in the dollar for residential and commercial properties, instead deciding to raise fees and charges at the rate of inflation while allowing borrowings to increase to $93 million by June.

The council’s increasingly precarious position is unprecedented, with one staff report late last year warning it was at risk of becoming “financially unviable”.

The council has incurred operating deficits for the past three financial years totalling $58.5m. A further $39m loss is forecast for this financial year.

Four hundred temporary, casual and full-time jobs have been cut in a bid to annually save $20m in operational savings demanded by the dominant Team Adelaide faction.

Much of the council’s debt involves using borrowed money in recent years to buy the former Le Cornu site at North Adelaide and spending tens of millions upgrading Rundle Mall, Victoria Square, Topham Mall, Bent Street, Gawler Place, Waymouth Street and the Frome Street Bikeway.

The pandemic has put the council’s finances under further stress, with decreased activity in the CBD reducing its income by an estimated $20m since last March.

Councillors were told last November they must increase rates, fees and charges if the council was to return to operating surpluses.

Elected members have asked staff to investigate how properties exempt from rates such as universities, schools and churches can be levied.

Exempt properties cost the council more than $35m each year in lost rate revenue.

Team Adelaide also has sought more detail on how much is needed to be spent over the next decade on critical infrastructure.

Staff have presented revised financial modelling which shows more money will be needed to be borrowed to cover operational costs, infrastructure maintenance and a $28m contribution towards the proposed $400m Adelaide Central Market Arcade redevelopment.

Under a revised long term financial plan – to be discussed at a forthcoming workshop – the council’s debt will reduce to $68m by 2029.

However, an estimated $175m needs to be spent upgrading or replacing key assets such as the Torrens Weir, Adelaide Bridge and Grenfell Street-Currie Street bus corridor. This will lift the debt to at least $143m by 2031.

The workshop will be briefed on how city footpaths, roads and stormwater drainage also need to be upgraded over the next decade, taking the potential infrastructure spend to over $400m – prompting council’s decision to start selling assets.

Property and commercial associate director Tom McCready confirmed “opportunities” to “maximise public value for ratepayers” from the council’s extensive property portfolio were being explored.

“This includes consideration of opportunities relating to the sale of underperforming assets as well as leveraging existing assets for city shaping initiatives,” he said.

Mr McCready said the City Beach Volleyball site had been identified as “a potential mixed-use development opportunity acting as a catalyst within the City East precinct”.

The City Beach volleyball courts are popular with CBD office workers.

“The City of Adelaide intends to release the site to the market to gauge interest and will consider how the adjoining Pirie-Flinders UPark may add value to the site,” he said.

Colin James
Follow@ColinJamesTiser

THE ADVERTISER
Lord Mayor explains the budget

Adelaide Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor explains the council's 20-21 budget. Video: Adelaide City Council
Adelaide City councillors have rejected spending less on public events such as Anzac Day to reduce a $34m loss.

Staff have modelled how 20 per cent cuts to various operational activities and public events could immediately deliver $1.5m in savings.

They suggested possible reductions in funding for the annual Anzac Day memorial service and march through the CBD, Christmas in the City, New Year’s Eve, History Festival, Umbrella Winter Festival and Fashion Week. Other programs included grants for heritage protection, sport and recreation, arts and culture and Aboriginal reconciliation.

Also examined was business activation, community safety, sister-city relationships, community development and Australia Day sponsorship.

But the idea was instantly ruled out by elected members during a special workshop to discuss the council’s long-term financial plan.

Several instead called for other options, such as borrowing more money, to be considered as council – which already owes $100m – faces a $34m operating deficit.

Greens candidate Robert Simms said community groups had already been adversely impacted by COVID and needed ongoing support from the council to help them survive.

“If we start talking about cuts to community services, that would have a devastating impact on that sector of the community,” he said.

“Many already are being hit hard by COVID. Many rely on the City of Adelaide.

“Are we going to start cutting support for the parklands, shutting libraries or whatever? These things are really vital.”

Cr Simms said it was wrong to put “an ideological view ahead of common sense” during “an once in a century economic crisis”.

“I want to know why we wouldn’t continue to borrow to get us through this difficult period”.

Veteran councillor Anne Moran agreed, saying the total savings from the possible cuts suggested by staff “were so minuscule” they were not worth it.

“They will cause a lot pain for very little gain,” she said.

“It is not going to help pay a $100m debt off. It is not going to get us out of our financial hole at all.”

WHY ADELAIDE CITY COUNCIL OWES SO MUCH

Seven consecutive years of rate freezes, resulting in the loss of potential income of $16m if CPI had been applied
Repeated spending on big projects over the past four years such as 10-Gigabit Adelaide and upgrades to Topham Mall, Gawler Place.
COVID-19's ongoing impact on the Adelaide CBD, costing $20m so far in lost income from parking, rents and fees
Staff being ordered to find $20m in operational savings, largely through redundancies and organisational restructures
Borrowing too much money to cover operational costs and capital works, taking the council from a $17m operational surplus in 2016-17 into three consecutive years of operational losses totalling $57m, with another loss of $34m forecast this year.
Accounting for major capital works projects resulting in a number of large write-offs in recent years
Recently appointed chief operating officer Justin Lynch said the council needed to find ways to return to operating surpluses, rather than losing money.

Mr Lynch said the council was not saving “enough for a rainy day” and needed to plan for large spending on infrastructure over the next decade.

“We are living beyond our means, we not living within them.” he said.

“COVID has come along and exposed our weaknesses, especially from a business perspective.”

Acting chief executive Clare Mockler said the idea of the cuts had been suggested by staff to “understand where council does have appetite to look for some sort of savings”.

“I absolutely understand the concept that death by a thousand cuts is not palatable for anyone and really no one wins,” she said.

Further workshops to discuss the council’s budget and long-term financial plan will be held next month.

Patrick_27

#3750 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:36 pm

I do think the council need to cut costs and find better revenue streams (parking and parking fine enforcement should not be their main source of income second to rates but it seems that this is the case). But I also think considering the unprecedented nature of COVID-19 and the fact that the ACC was always going to be the hardest hit because a lot of their rates come from small/medium sized business and also as the article points out the exemptions on universities, churches and schools paying rates which all three take up a sizeable chunk of CBD land; perhaps the state government should be considering a bail out (seeing as Team Adelaide are quasi-Liberal idiots, perhaps they should be brokering this)... Wouldn't necessarily need to be in the way of: "Hey, here's $100m, go nuts!" but more-so offsetting particular ACC expenses for the next financial year or taking certain capital projects off of the ACC's hands (for instance, the Grenfell/Currie Street(s) corridor or even laneway upgrades and activation)...