News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#4621 Post by Nort » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:24 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:13 pm
SBD wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:32 am
If more trams are acquired to run extended or more frequent services, a new tram maintenance and storage facility will also be required. There are precedents for having that on parkland (Hackney Road) and CBD warehouse (Angas Street). I imagine that somewhere along Port Road at Thebarton might be a good area for the next one - maybe even on the "old" Entertainment Centre site!
If AdeLINK is revisted, the EastLINK part should use Magill Road for two reasons:
1. Trams from North Terrace won't have to turn any corners and the route is shorter, making it faster and cheaper to construct.
2. There is an old tram depot at 179 Magill Road. It could become a tram depot again! All of the Magill to Entertainment Centre trams could be stored there.
To make 179 Magill Road suitable for trams again would require basically demolishing everything now on that site, would be easier to just go elsewhere.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4622 Post by Spotto » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:30 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
SBD wrote:
If more trams are acquired to run extended or more frequent services, a new tram maintenance and storage facility will also be required. There are precedents for having that on parkland (Hackney Road) and CBD warehouse (Angas Street). I imagine that somewhere along Port Road at Thebarton might be a good area for the next one - maybe even on the "old" Entertainment Centre site!
If AdeLINK is revisted, the EastLINK part should use Magill Road for two reasons:
1. Trams from North Terrace won't have to turn any corners and the route is shorter, making it faster and cheaper to construct.
2. There is an old tram depot at 179 Magill Road. It could become a tram depot again! All of the Magill to Entertainment Centre trams could be stored there.
Norwood Parade is the more desirable route and is a more user-friendly connection between the CBD and the inner east. You might see trams eventually reach Magill Road, but most likely via Osmond Terrace per the preferred EastLINK proposal.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#4623 Post by TorrensSA » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:06 pm

Spotto wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:30 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
SBD wrote:
Norwood Parade is the more desirable route and is a more user-friendly connection between the CBD and the inner east. You might see trams eventually reach Magill Road, but most likely via Osmond Terrace per the preferred EastLINK proposal.
Do you mean Magill Road and Osmond terrace via:

North Tce, Magill Road, Osmond Terrace, The Parade (shops) etc

OR

Rundle Road / Street , The Parade, Osmond Terrace, Magill Road etc

The second option misses The Parade shops.

If we get trams they need to go via the shopping roads, The Parade, Prospect, Unley, Henley etc

Also to the poster above: the tram sheds on Magill are private dwellings now, you can't just magically turn it back into a tram shed. The structure exists but units are built under it

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4624 Post by Spotto » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:40 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:06 pm
Spotto wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:30 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:

Do you mean Magill Road and Osmond terrace via:

North Tce, Magill Road, Osmond Terrace, The Parade (shops) etc

OR

Rundle Road / Street , The Parade, Osmond Terrace, Magill Road etc

The second option misses The Parade shops.

If we get trams they need to go via the shopping roads, The Parade, Prospect, Unley, Henley etc

Also to the poster above: the tram sheds on Magill are private dwellings now, you can't just magically turn it back into a tram shed. The structure exists but units are built under it
The second option. But the plan that Labor spruiked just before the 2018 election would've had the Norwood Parade branch terminating near the Town Hall, with a potential future branch to Magill running via Osmond Terrace and Magill Road.

Image Source: https://indaily.com.au/news/2018/02/26/ ... ise-twist/

ChillyPhilly

#4625 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:43 pm

Trams to the eastern suburbs absolutely must go via The Parade.

If they can go via Magill Road as well, even better - the morez the merrier.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#4626 Post by TorrensSA » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:40 pm

I know Osmond Terrace is really wide, but why would you do a weird little spur into Norwood when you can just run trams up George Street, it's pretty wide.

The main aim of the tram is to service the shopping areas.

Waewick

#4627 Post by Waewick » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:54 pm

I agree that Norwood is the most obvious and best choice

However I'd do prospect first, show the benefits and especially the improvements to both traffic and property value (which was one of the most absurd arguments last time)

Then go in with an actual plan to address traffic around the Parade once the tram is in so people see that there is a plan to not make the parade a parking lot (that is plans to upgrade and improve surrounding roads to cater for extra traffic) and show it will help small business not kill it.

I'm a fan, but far out there were detractors.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4628 Post by SRW » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:54 pm

Waewick wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:54 pm

However I'd do prospect first, show the benefits and especially the improvements to both traffic and property value (which was one of the most absurd arguments last time)

Then go in with an actual plan to address traffic around the Parade once the tram is in so people see that there is a plan to not make the parade a parking lot (that is plans to upgrade and improve surrounding roads to cater for extra traffic) and show it will help small business not kill it.

I agree, good strategy. Although I think Norwood is a more important destination, it has a great many naysayers. Just look at the recent battle over a right hand turn. Prospect has an aligned mayor and main street businesses already on board with placemaking principles who will welcome the tram. Plus, it can be completed as part of the North Adelaide extension. Once the benefits are realised, resistance should fall away in Norwood.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#4629 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:46 pm

Agree about the idea of using Prospect Road to demonstrate benefits.

I believe the council in Norwood - NP&SP - will support a tram if proposed, but it certainly won't be enough.

The opposition to a small right-hand turn was valid. The intersection in question (George St) is dangerous, and not really fit for such turning lanes.

Council had funding for a pedestrian scramble crossing as this was all that was deemed necessary, but Corey Wingard overrode this - going from $88,000 in budget to over $300,000.

Council fought against this, and reasonably succeeded, because the developers of the (now demolished) Coles redevelopment ended up paying for some or all of the right turn lanes.
Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick

#4630 Post by Waewick » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:47 pm

SRW wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:54 pm

I agree, good strategy. Although I think Norwood is a more important destination, it has a great many naysayers. Just look at the recent battle over a right hand turn. Prospect has an aligned mayor and main street businesses already on board with placemaking principles who will welcome the tram. Plus, it can be completed as part of the North Adelaide extension. Once the benefits are realised, resistance should fall away in Norwood.
I know a bit about the right turn, pure shenanigans and unsavoury to say the least.

The traders, who ended putting in the right hand turn were some of the main detractors (cars and carparks!!!) last time so they are not the friends of getting trams where they should be.

PeFe

#4631 Post by PeFe » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:34 pm

Not sure how useful this will be......maybe at peak hours only, otherwise you have to wait too long for the next tram.
Check: How busy is your tram?
08 Apr 2022
Catching a tram? You can now check how busy it is – in real time – before you board, thanks to new passenger counting technology that’s just been installed.

You’ll find simple green, amber or red graphics to indicate whether a tram is ‘not busy’, ‘busy’ or ‘very busy’ on the Adelaide Metro website (under Tram/Timetables/Stops) and on our digital signs at major tram stops.

You will also be able to access this information via other apps that choose to use it.

And, because the information is provided in real time, you can make an informed decision before you board. For instance, you’ll be able to see whether your next tram is very busy, and if the one immediately afterwards is not busy.

The new passenger counters are sensors that accurately count the number of people who get on and off a tram at a stop. The sensors can also make basic distinctions between adults and children, and between the types of equipment people bring with them (like prams and wheelchairs). This more accurate data will help us to better plan and deliver our services.

Take a look at the new feature in Timetables, by selecting a tram route here and then clicking on the tram stop you’re interested in.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about- ... _your_tram

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4632 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:35 pm

It's available at the stops too

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#4633 Post by Jaymz » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:49 pm

I posted a tongue in cheek post in another thread about Adelaide's tram system being ripped up decades ago, knowing I was partially correct. I did a bit of actual research and was absolutely gobsmacked about how extensive our tram system was up until the 1950's. What a big shame on our fair city. Who okay'd this?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4634 Post by Spotto » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:12 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:49 pm
I posted a tongue in cheek post in another thread about Adelaide's tram system being ripped up decades ago, knowing I was partially correct. I did a bit of actual research and was absolutely gobsmacked about how extensive our tram system was up until the 1950's. What a big shame on our fair city. Who okay'd this?
The car-centric, build-it-bigger political minds of the mid-century. The car became king as a symbol of freedom, status and "the modern man".

It took decades for sensible cities like Amsterdam to realise their mistake and set about changing the culture back towards people and alternative modes of transport. But it's easier to refocus towards bikes and public transport when your city is ancient and was originally designed for people, wagons and horses anyway; when your city is more modern and was designed explicitly with the car in mind, it's a much more difficult task.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#4635 Post by Jaymz » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:02 pm

Thanks for your insights Spotto.

I guess what i'm trying to say, and i'm a big supporter of trams.... I catch them every other day for free in the city. Why would any Govt. spend billions of dollars re-laying them to the 'burbs when we've had them going there before? It would be a hard sell to the public.

I look at the map from the 50's, and in hindsight they should've at least kept the arterial roads.