[PRO] 188 Grenfell Street | 64m | 19 Levels | Student Accom

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: 188 Grenfell Street | 14lvls | 46m | Mixed Use

#76 Post by Nort » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:10 pm
What sort of min-maxed cheap student housing block is ever going to have money spent on sound proofing?
It wouldn't, but that's kind of the point.

The problem isn't necessarily any sort of large development on this side of the city, and trying to fight that fight would absolutely be a losing battle and undermine opposition. It's that development should be accepted, where it is good development that improves this area of the city overall, and not accept cheap money grabbing shit build on the ruins of what makes an area attractive in the first place.

ChillyPhilly

[PRO] Re: 188 Grenfell Street | 14lvls | 46m | Mixed Use

#77 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:30 pm

Positively, I'm not confident this will eventuate. The sentiment is too strong.

It is politically dangerous too, especially with the Malinauskas Government wanting to be seen to be supporting the live music industry.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: 188 Grenfell Street | 64m | 19 Levels | Student Accom

#78 Post by Allkai » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:24 pm

What is Karidis current involvement?

Don't believe the property has sold since 2004?

So do they still own it, and are quietly hiding behind the off-shore "developer"?

Nort

#79 Post by Nort » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:18 pm

Massive turnout for the rally today.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#80 Post by Ben » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:24 pm

I’ve heard this has no chance of getting up and Mali has intentionally waited for the groundswell so he can swoop
In as the hero once the numbers have built up.

ChillyPhilly

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: 188 Grenfell Street | 64m | 19 Levels | Student Accom

#81 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:40 pm

Ben wrote:I’ve heard this has no chance of getting up and Mali has intentionally waited for the groundswell so he can swoop
In as the hero once the numbers have built up.
Confirms my hunch.

Hey, if it means a critical local venue survives, I'm all for it.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#82 Post by rev » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:48 am

:lol: people outraged at a proposed pub redevelopment to the point they're in the streets protesting in front of parliament, while there's actual issues like the cost of living crisis, people ending up homeless, kids going hungry, the mental health crisis, while hundreds of millions are thrown at wars between other countries...but hey, lets protest about a pub. Can't make this shit up.

If people love the "cranker" so much why don't they buy it and save it? Of course they wont, they'd rather someone else pay for everything...

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#83 Post by Allkai » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:11 am

rev wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:48 am
:lol: people outraged at a proposed pub redevelopment to the point they're in the streets protesting in front of parliament, while there's actual issues like the cost of living crisis, people ending up homeless, kids going hungry, the mental health crisis, while hundreds of millions are thrown at wars between other countries...but hey, lets protest about a pub. Can't make this shit up.

If people love the "cranker" so much why don't they buy it and save it? Of course they wont, they'd rather someone else pay for everything...
Pretty sure there's been protests for all of those issues.

How many were you at?

Nort

#84 Post by Nort » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:15 am

rev wrote:

giphy (2).gif
giphy (2).gif (1.23 MiB) Viewed 291 times

rev

#85 Post by rev » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:25 pm

Allkai wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:11 am
rev wrote:

How many were you at?
lol none, I've got more productive things to do with my time then waste it standing in front of parliament house pretending it's going to make a difference.
But if I was to protest, I certainly wouldn't chose to protest about some shitty run down pub that the owners are proposing to knock down and redevelop into something else.

Better question though, how many live gigs have those protesting the closure of the pub been to in the last 3 months? Majority seem to be driven by nostalgia.

I take it you're a fan of the cranker, and possibly attended the protest?
Any thoughts on buying it your self, or getting together with the other outraged individuals and pooling your funds to buy it collectively?

Or do you actually believe that you, a private citizen, should have the final say on what another private citizen does with property they own?

But I look forward to the government screwing around on this, scaring away developers and investment, and then people on here who are (perhaps unknowingly) supporting the nimbys in council and the greens, complaining when developments dry up. Not that I'm in favour of another student accommodation tower going up, but the issue isn't what's going to be built, but that self centred nostalgia is trying to stand in the way of private investment and development.

[Shuz]

#86 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:52 pm

I can't even begin to get my head around the sheer stupidity of your post rev.

The "shitty run down pub" is a home for so many people, students, the LGBTQ community, older generations who have been going there decades, it's a home for local talent and emerging live music acts. It's one of the few, if not only venue in the East End which quite literally brings the community together. A cohesive social ecosystem.

I may not go there personally for the live music myself, but plenty of my friends do. It would be a massive loss to their social wellbeing not to have that cultural experience every week, which is part and parcel of their identity and hobbies. Do you not wish for your friends to be part of a community that actively engages them and contributes to their social wellbeing. The Cranker is more than just a pub selling beers, it is culturally ingrained in many people's lives for so many reasons, not just nostalgia.

There are quite literally 20+ vacant blocks in the CBD, countless more underutilised and prime for redevelopment that are more than suitable for student accommodation. The Cranker is not that site.

Ironically think about the students who would otherwise live on the proposed development, where would they go to in the East End to listen to live music, to form friendships, to connect with like minded communities? The answer lies in the very thing that is at risk of demolition.

Not all development has an economic cost. The Cranker is a huge social institution and it would be an absolute travesty to lose that social element that contributes positively to the urban environment.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#87 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:57 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:25 pm
Allkai wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:11 am
rev wrote:

How many were you at?
lol none, I've got more productive things to do with my time then waste it standing in front of parliament house pretending it's going to make a difference.
But if I was to protest, I certainly wouldn't chose to protest about some shitty run down pub that the owners are proposing to knock down and redevelop into something else.

Better question though, how many live gigs have those protesting the closure of the pub been to in the last 3 months? Majority seem to be driven by nostalgia.

I take it you're a fan of the cranker, and possibly attended the protest?
Any thoughts on buying it your self, or getting together with the other outraged individuals and pooling your funds to buy it collectively?

Or do you actually believe that you, a private citizen, should have the final say on what another private citizen does with property they own?

But I look forward to the government screwing around on this, scaring away developers and investment, and then people on here who are (perhaps unknowingly) supporting the nimbys in council and the greens, complaining when developments dry up. Not that I'm in favour of another student accommodation tower going up, but the issue isn't what's going to be built, but that self centred nostalgia is trying to stand in the way of private investment and development.
"Private citizens" of course have a say in how land is used. There are numerous examples of campaigns across both Australia and the world to save important buildings.

The Cranker is an important venue for live music and is well frequented. Replacing it with a student housing tower would be a loss for the city's culture.

New development and existing culture should be able to exist together, it shouldn't be an either or thing. Seeing it as such is as absurd as the NIMBY's who oppose any new high-rise and label it a "skyscraper."

Nathan

#88 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:31 pm

The Cranker is also an important venue for bands starting off. No one goes from practicing in a garage to selling out shows at Thebarton Theatre, or even The Gov or Lion Arts. The types of venues with suitable size stages and an audience for starting artists has diminished to a very small number and losing one like the Crown & Anchor would significantly hurt the local music scene.

rev

#89 Post by rev » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:55 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:31 pm
The Cranker is also an important venue for bands starting off. No one goes from practicing in a garage to selling out shows at Thebarton Theatre, or even The Gov or Lion Arts. The types of venues with suitable size stages and an audience for starting artists has diminished to a very small number and losing one like the Crown & Anchor would significantly hurt the local music scene.
In the whole of Adelaide the only building suitable is the Crown and Anchor?

abc
Legendary Member!

#90 Post by abc » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:45 pm

rev wrote:

this troll :roll: