SA Economy

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: SA Economy

#571 Post by Norman » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:58 am

Adelaide and South Australia has an ageing population, you NEED to replace the retirees with new migrants. The unemployment rate is at very low levels as it is, so the people have to come from somewhere.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#572 Post by SBD » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:12 pm

Educating people to fill new skilled jobs takes years. Not many local school leavers would choose to take a three-six year university course to be employed locally in a job they can't see anyone else doing, even if the government could convince a local university to build up the staff to teach a course in something that people aren't currently being employed to do.

If 2000 employees move in to South Australia, they are still going to need locally-built housing, local schools if they bring (or breed) families, local supermarkets, doctors, restaurants. Then the employer is visible to make people want to study to take over those jobs and universities will have a reason to offer the right courses, including the research staff to support them.

I wonder, if Mount Barker wants to be "a separate city, not just part of Adelaide", why not encourage some of these new businesses to set up there instead of Rundle Mall? 2000 new jobs plus all the extras would give a reason not to have to commute to Adelaide every day.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#573 Post by AG » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:29 pm

The initial jobs (senior and management level positions) will most likely need to be filled by people currently based interstate or overseas given that these roles don't currently exist in large numbers in Adelaide. The more junior and graduate positions (local hires) will then follow later on.

The business I work for is rapidly expanding in Adelaide and also has a strong interest in those with STEM type backgrounds, having grown from only a handful of employees prior to Covid. Of those who have been employed into the business in the last year, about 75% have moved from interstate to join the business in Adelaide as people with the right experience are difficult to find in Adelaide.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#574 Post by rev » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:47 pm

Norman wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:58 am
Adelaide and South Australia has an ageing population, you NEED to replace the retirees with new migrants. The unemployment rate is at very low levels as it is, so the people have to come from somewhere.
Talking about jobs and industry.
Theres youth unemployment of around 7-8% in this state.
And that's the official figure after they've manipulated data like they do with the overall numbers.

There is PLENTY of people here already, who could be trained for existing and new industries.

But its easier to just import people, that we can't sustain, then it is to actually come up with a plan and policies and implement it.
Lazy politics.
Election cycle to election cycle.
Thats part of what this state is the way it is, and that's not something to be envied.

SBD

#575 Post by SBD » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:44 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:47 pm
Norman wrote:
And that's the official figure after they've manipulated data like they do with the overall numbers.

There is PLENTY of people here already, who could be trained for existing and new industries.

But its easier to just import people, that we can't sustain, then it is to actually come up with a plan and policies and implement it.
Lazy politics.
Thats part of what this state is the way it is, and that's not something to be envied.
1) How long do you think it takes to train an unemployed youth to become an expert in cyber security, cloud computing, data science or any other "high tech" role? There might be a few that already have completed their degree but not found a job yet, but most will not be qualified to do these jobs.
2) How long do you think a company will wait to have unemployed youth trained to be able to take on senior roles in their new office?

If training and experience didn't matter, we could solve the "housing crisis" in six months by having all these unemployed youths building houses. It doesn't work that way.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#576 Post by Will » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:14 am

rev wrote:
Norman wrote:

Lazy politics.
Sorry mate, but you talk as if every Aussie wants to work.

I’m a doctor, and every day I see young people come to me demanding I give them a Centrelink certificate or worse still, put them on the DSP. Often for the most bullshit of reasons. There is a significant group of people out there whom have grown up with an entrenched welfare mentality, whom expect society to provide for them.

We need immigrants.

rev

#577 Post by rev » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:25 am

Will wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:14 am
rev wrote:
Norman wrote:

Lazy politics.

I’m a doctor, and every day I see young people come to me demanding I give them a Centrelink certificate or worse still, put them on the DSP. Often for the most bullshit of reasons. There is a significant group of people out there whom have grown up with an entrenched welfare mentality, whom expect society to provide for them.

We need immigrants.
Thats because as a society we are failing.
We are raising bludgers who expect everything to be handed to them without having to work for anything.
A generation or two of self entitled brats who wouldn't know a real struggle or hardship.

And, while there are many who take that road, let's not pretend that every unemployed person in Australia doesn't want to work.

We don't need to import workers when we have tens of thousands of people here already who could work.
Instead of continuing the same failed policies that have created this failed society full of weak self entitled bludgers who are scared of a days hard work, why don't we change that?

Why were previous generations able to work hard?
Not just locals but the migrants who came because at one stage Australia did need migrants to fill the job vacancies.
Whats changed?

And for clarification before I get called a nazi again by my fan base, I'm not against migration, I'm against using migration to specifically fill labor shortages when we have so many unemployed particularly youth.

If we can't do right by the youth of this country, then this country is finished. We have failed.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#578 Post by cmet » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:42 am

rev wrote:
Will wrote:
rev wrote:

Lazy politics.

We need immigrants.
We are raising bludgers who expect everything to be handed to them without having to work for anything.
A generation or two of self entitled brats who wouldn't know a real struggle or hardship.

And, while there are many who take that road, let's not pretend that every unemployed person in Australia doesn't want to work.

We don't need to import workers when we have tens of thousands of people here already who could work.
Instead of continuing the same failed policies that have created this failed society full of weak self entitled bludgers who are scared of a days hard work, why don't we change that?

Not just locals but the migrants who came because at one stage Australia did need migrants to fill the job vacancies.
Whats changed?

And for clarification before I get called a nazi again by my fan base, I'm not against migration, I'm against using migration to specifically fill labor shortages when we have so many unemployed particularly youth.

If we can't do right by the youth of this country, then this country is finished. We have failed.
Yawn 🥱

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#579 Post by madelaide » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:33 pm

cmet wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:42 am

Not to pile on top here, but I think we can all agree South Australia has lost a lost of it's youthful, innovative, motivated and hard working community interstate and overseas. This here is a prime opportunity to win them back.

The Eastern states have relied on imported workers, international and national, for decades. I was one of them, and now that I've migrated forward to SA, I see the potential for others like me to do the same.

I worked in two very successful and well respected companies over six years in Melbs...

Of the 30 staff in one company in South Melbourne: 9 people were born and raised in Victoria. 21 were born/raised either interstate or internationally (3 from SA).

Of the 80 staff in the other company I worked for in Abbotsford: around 30 people were born and raised in Victoria. 50 were born/raised either interstate or internationally (2 staff were from SA, and one of the owners was a prominent South Australian businessman/investor).

While living there, I attended a General Assembly 'young entrepreneur' seminar in Collingwood with 100+ others in the audience. Of the 6 speakers sharing their processes of success, 2 were from Vic, 3 were from SA and 1 from QLD.

This is a great sign that SA is achieving and maintaining high standards abroad. Offering these people the same opportunities here, as these innovation hubs are promising, is key to employing the best and brightest globally... With no doubt ex-pats will feature heavily.

If the rental market is anything to go by, it's already happening. Can't stop migration if you have a little bit of something everybody wants.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#580 Post by Jaymz » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:22 pm

Waewick wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:15 pm
Jaymz wrote:
rev wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:00 pm
Thousands of new jobs?
Too bad they'll rush to fill them with overseas migrants instead of investing in training locals, as usual these days.
Overseas migrants? Sounds awesome!
Agreed, highly skilled migrants.

Would love to see 2 million people in the state

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
Absolutely. But to take it a bit further, I've always imagined 2 million would be a perfect population for Adelaide. With urban infill and more medium density housing.... like we're seeing now. Also, why not set the target big and go for a CBD population of say, 100k in the next 30 years. It could handle it easily.

Another nice to have would be a decent sized regional city, in the 100 - 200k range. It's been talked about in the forum before, I've often though Port Lincoln would be a good location for this, even more so since I've visited the Eyre Peninsula twice in the past 12 months. I'm surprised the population is as sparse as it is being such a nice part of Australia. No shortage of economic activity over there too.

Waewick

#581 Post by Waewick » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:17 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Jaymz wrote:
Overseas migrants? Sounds awesome!

Absolutely. But to take it a bit further, I've always imagined 2 million would be a perfect population for Adelaide. With urban infill and more medium density housing.... like we're seeing now. Also, why not set the target big and go for a CBD population of say, 100k in the next 30 years. It could handle it easily.

Another nice to have would be a decent sized regional city, in the 100 - 200k range. It's been talked about in the forum before, I've often though Port Lincoln would be a good location for this, even more so since I've visited the Eyre Peninsula twice in the past 12 months. I'm surprised the population is as sparse as it is being such a nice part of Australia. No shortage of economic activity over there too.
Port Lincoln or Mount Gambier just try and get them growing.

I think the Riverland is also ripe for investment, close to the Eastern States, infrastructure in place. Just needs leadership

2m gets us our Federal Seat back , so more politicians interested, urban centres get a good mix 2pp

Just need to political willpower

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#582 Post by Jaymz » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:21 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:17 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Waewick wrote:

I think the Riverland is also ripe for investment, close to the Eastern States, infrastructure in place. Just needs leadership

2m gets us our Federal Seat back , so more politicians interested, urban centres get a good mix 2pp

That's an excellent point about Federal seats, which SA currently has 10..... it used to be 13 back in the 80's i'm pretty sure and it relies on population distribution.

Luckily for S.A over the past 30 years, is that we've been over-represented by cabinet ministers in Federal parliament (both Liberal and Labor), so we've probably had more influence than what our population would otherwise deserve.

rev

#583 Post by rev » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:22 pm

cmet wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:42 am
rev wrote:
Will wrote:

We need immigrants.

Whats changed?

Yawn 🥱

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess you've run out of crayons to eat.

rev

#584 Post by rev » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:27 pm

Waewick wrote:
Jaymz wrote:
Waewick wrote:

What jobs are an extra 300,000 people going to do in Mt Gambier and Pt Lincoln?

If we have so many jobs available while having high unemployment particularly youth unemployment, the focus should be on getting the people we have already working not bringing in more people from abroad.

Its easy to brush it aside as Will did and say people don't want to work. Thats fine, but that doesn't address the issues that exist.
So, how long before those new arrivals, or the families they start here end up in the same boat. It will happen, and it is already happening.

SBD

#585 Post by SBD » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:12 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:27 pm
Waewick wrote:
Jaymz wrote:

What jobs are an extra 300,000 people going to do in Mt Gambier and Pt Lincoln?

If we have so many jobs available while having high unemployment particularly youth unemployment, the focus should be on getting the people we have already working not bringing in more people from abroad.

Its easy to brush it aside as Will did and say people don't want to work. Thats fine, but that doesn't address the issues that exist.
So, how long before those new arrivals, or the families they start here end up in the same boat. It will happen, and it is already happening.
What are the "rules" for how much production of a community must be exported, rather than being internally focussed on sustaining that community?

A larger population brings a larger demand for education, so the university campuses can be expanded to offer a larger range of courses, so less of the youth need to move to Adelaide or Melbourne to study That means they will continue to eat food locally, consume heath services etc. Once they are educated, they will also be more inclined to stay in or near that community, reducing the demand for importing foreign workers to work in country areas because city-bred Australians only want to work in cities. It also needs more housing as it grows, and other infrastructure to demand an increased construction industry.

Traditional employment in Mount Gambier includes dairy farming and processing, and more recently wine grapes, and forestry. Port Lincoln has also relied on farming, as well as tuna and other fishing.