SA Economy

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: SA Economy

#676 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:56 am

I'm not surprised at all TBH.

I always had a gut feeling we'd eventually have an increase in population growth post COVID.

Sydney and Melbourne are bursting at the seams currently at 5 million people and are forecast to reach 6 million each by 2030ish.

In my lifetime they've gone from approx. 3-3.5m to the size they are now. 6m people is effectively double.

Infrastructure has barely kept pace and their respective governments are spending hundreds of billions of dollars trying to catch up.

The Sydney property market in particular is just beyond any realm of affordability, and Melbourne to a lesser degree.

Adelaide is still reasonably "affordable" comparatively.

We have a good climate, people are starting to realise we're not just a big country town anymore, we put on a good show of events and festivals which has only gone from strength to strength over the years.

There is a quiet confidence being built up slowly but surely and from that economic and growth opportunities will arise for new job markets and industries. Osborne, Lot 14, Tonsley, renewable energy, etc. just to name a few.

950,000 migrants are expected to call Australia home in just the next two years alone.

This will create a significant push/pull population effect - they are mostly attracted to the East Coast but I think we will see some more internal migration as established residents look for a more affordable lifestyle that is still within reasonable flying distance to the East Coast.

There's a whole lot more arguments to to support my case but i don't want to go on a long rant.

I think the next couple of years well see 20-30k population growth for Adelaide.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#677 Post by Jaymz » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:58 pm

rev wrote:
    Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:21 am
    1.1% growth isn't that exciting.
    Does it even put us in the 'catch up' (to the other states) phase?
    Definitely not.

But the overall growth figure was 1.4% for S.A which is important, meaning the population of regional areas is growing at a healthy rate.

claybro

#678 Post by claybro » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:26 pm

Jaymz wrote:
    Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:58 pm
      rev wrote:
      Definitely not.

But the overall growth figure was 1.4% for S.A which is important, meaning the population of regional areas is growing at a healthy rate.
      I'm beginning to wonder about the importance of growth figures in raw terms as presented. Lets compare ourselves to Victoria in this instance. Victoria has a higher growth rate always, and bigger heads to go with it!.. but they have a concerted policy to rapidly increase population. New immigrants generate growth, as they both spend when they arrive to set up life, and require government services to assist them. HOWEVER. The additional growth and infrastructure and services required needs to be funded. It is being funded by debt, and now Victoria is in a catch 22. Still trying to roll out massive infrastructure projects- to keep pace with its population growth, but facing a credit rating downgrade due to massive debt. Their debt repayments are about to balloon big time. This is not going to end well for them. Either the population have to accept a rapid decline in living standards and groaning infrastructure, or they need to reduce immigration, which will then impact the instant spending sugar hit of new immigrants. It does seem at present, that SA has the balance right, and if the regional areas can be beefed up, I believe the state will be on a more sustainable, livable trajectory than the other Eastern States, Victoria in particular. I've never understood the success of Victoria in modern era. The furthest mainland capital from the rest of the world, the smallest mineral exports of all mainland states, shrinking industrial base, highest cost state to do business....and everyone seeming just employed making each other cappuchinos...but hey..a healthy growth rate.. I must be missing something.

abc
      Legendary Member!

#679 Post by abc » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:44 pm

Jaymz wrote:
        rev wrote:
        Definitely not.

basically just people moving from Adelaide to Mt Barker and Moonta
        the regions are struggling big time and have for a while

claybro

#680 Post by claybro » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:36 pm

abc wrote:
        Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:44 pm
        Jaymz wrote:
          rev wrote:
          Definitely not.

Struggling with what? Last year I drove through and stopped in Mt Gambier for lunch. It was heaving. Bustling streets and busy shops. Or are you saying struggling with infrastructure?

abc
          Legendary Member!

#681 Post by abc » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:51 pm

claybro wrote:
          Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:36 pm
          abc wrote:
          Jaymz wrote:
            Definitely not.

Struggling with what? Last year I drove through and stopped in Mt Gambier for lunch. It was heaving. Bustling streets and busy shops. Or are you saying struggling with infrastructure?
            economy, jobs, growth are struggling

Mt Gambier is the biggest town in that region of SA...what else is new
            other towns in that area are dying

the only place in SA that is struggling with infrastructure is South Road

SBD

#682 Post by SBD » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:24 pm

abc wrote:
            Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:51 pm
            claybro wrote:
            abc wrote:

What defines "struggling with infrastructure"?
            • Where is the northernmost dialysis machine in the state? MRI or other major treatment and diagnostic equipment?
            • Duplicate the Swanport bridge (and the Duke's Highway eventually)
            • Truro bypass has stated
            • regional rail - passenger and freight
            • if not rail, then upgrade the roads/highways that carry the road trains that substitute for it
            • Blanchetown Bridge was unavailable during the floods because the approach road flooded - and so did the nearest alternative route on Kingston Road
            • Tanunda and Mount Barker (at least) are overdue for new hospitals to provide modern health to growing populations
            • government services that are provided in-home or a short ride away in the metro area can be hundreds of kilometres self-drive away from country residents (eg CAFHS nurse checkups)

Jaymz
            Legendary Member!

#683 Post by Jaymz » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:46 pm

abc wrote:
            Mount Barker is counted as part of Greater Adelaide and not considered as a regional centre.

abc
            Legendary Member!

#684 Post by abc » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:48 pm

SBD wrote:
            Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:24 pm
            abc wrote:
            claybro wrote:

What defines "struggling with infrastructure"?
            • Where is the northernmost dialysis machine in the state? MRI or other major treatment and diagnostic equipment?
            • Duplicate the Swanport bridge (and the Duke's Highway eventually)
            • Truro bypass has stated
            • regional rail - passenger and freight
            • if not rail, then upgrade the roads/highways that carry the road trains that substitute for it
            • Blanchetown Bridge was unavailable during the floods because the approach road flooded - and so did the nearest alternative route on Kingston Road
            • Tanunda and Mount Barker (at least) are overdue for new hospitals to provide modern health to growing populations
            • government services that are provided in-home or a short ride away in the metro area can be hundreds of kilometres self-drive away from country residents (eg CAFHS nurse checkups)
            its subjective, you can't have everything you want

the hospital situation is the only other thing I'd argue is justified as an infrastructure shortage for the size of the current population however that's being exacerbated by a unique catastrophic event of excess deaths being over 20% higher than baseline for the past 18 months and corresponding illnesses due to ahem I dunno... climate change caused by digital thermometers?

abc
            Legendary Member!

#685 Post by abc » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:49 pm

Jaymz wrote:
            Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:46 pm
            abc wrote:
            Mount Barker is counted as part of Greater Adelaide and not considered as a regional centre.
            since when? did our premier pull a Melton trick to make Adelaide look like its growing?

Goodsy
            Legendary Member!

#686 Post by Goodsy » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:50 am

abc wrote:
            Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:49 pm
            Jaymz wrote:
            abc wrote:
            since when? did our premier pull a Melton trick to make Adelaide look like its growing?
            When the boundaries were established as a part of the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016.

For the record, I still think it's weird they're trying so hard to push Adelaide to the south east and over the hills instead of to the north.

rev
            SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#687 Post by rev » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:44 am

abc wrote:
            claybro wrote:
            abc wrote:

Not every single town in the Adelaide Hills needs to have the scale of new housing developments occur that we've seen happen in Mount Barker. And just because they don't have that scale of development, doesn't mean they are "dying".
            When's the last time you went through the area

abc
            Legendary Member!

#688 Post by abc » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:02 pm

rev wrote:
            Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:44 am
            abc wrote:
            claybro wrote:

Not every single town in the Adelaide Hills needs to have the scale of new housing developments occur that we've seen happen in Mount Barker. And just because they don't have that scale of development, doesn't mean they are "dying".
            When's the last time you went through the area
            if you think the Adelaide Hills is regional SA then you need to get out more

abc
            Legendary Member!

#689 Post by abc » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:03 pm

Goodsy wrote:
            Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:50 am
            abc wrote:
            Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:49 pm
            Jaymz wrote:

When the boundaries were established as a part of the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016.

For the record, I still think it's weird they're trying so hard to push Adelaide to the south east and over the hills instead of to the north.
            what a joke, no way Mt Barker is part of the Adelaide metro area. Its creative accounting to include it in the population stats. Same trick Dan Andrews pulled with Melton this week to cover up the fact people are leaving Melbourne due to his polcies.

Jaymz
            Legendary Member!

#690 Post by Jaymz » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:01 pm

abc wrote:
            Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:03 pm
            Same trick Dan Andrews pulled with Melton this week to cover up the fact people are leaving Melbourne due to his polcies.
            Hardly. Melbourne has now surpassed Sydney as the most populous city in Australia.