The Federal Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: The Federal Politics Thread

#601 Post by rev » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:15 am

Labor is planning on 500,000 foreign students.
On top of the 2~ million new migrants over the next 2 years.

Tanya Pilbersek in response to Barnaby Joyce asking where they're all going to live, "the figures are lower when you were in government", on Sunrise this morning.
Unbelievable.

Other then getting her position because of gender and Labor being all about filling affirmative action quotas, what's she actually done, ever....?
There's just something about the way she comes across when she talks, its like she's talking down to you not with you.
Doesn't come across as an approachable person. There's no compassion in her voice, rather she has a very aggressive tone.

This response from her shows Labor just doesn't get it, how out of touch with reality they are.

It shows why these parasites sorry I mean politicians shouldn't be on a quarter of a million dollar salaries and pension for life that isn't means tested like the rest of us, but should be on the median salary.

Let the. live life on the average salary, particularly during a cost of living crisis that they have contributed to creating and are going to make worse with their piss poor decision making and shitty policies. Might give them some perspective and a dose of reality.

Its a bit like the wanker governor of the RBA telling people to spend less and live with their parents and friends instead.

All fucking clowns out of touch with the average Australian.

Hard to see how these woke ideologues in Labor win the next federal election especially with clowns like Albanese and Pilbersek running around. At least Wong knows to stay out of the spotlight when they're on the nose.

Cost of living crisis thats wrecking average Australians and decimating whats left of the middle class, but these idiots are more worried about their ideological "the voice" nonsense that's ignoring countless indigenous communities around the country.

We're already short by about a million houses in Australia, where are 2.5 million more people going to live?

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#602 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:48 am

rev wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:15 am

We're already short by about a million houses in Australia, where are 2.5 million more people going to live?
Maybe some of the immigrants will be competent builders and labourers capable of building the housing that it seems isn’t being done by the current citizens and residents. Maybe we will also import doctors and nurses and other professionals that we don’t seem to be growing enough of our own.

Since Australians are moving to the cities, we need imports to work in our regional medical practices, hospitals, ambulance stations and factories to support the people feeding our cities.

rev

#603 Post by rev » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:26 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:48 am
rev wrote:

Maybe some of the immigrants will be competent builders and labourers capable of building the housing that it seems isn’t being done by the current citizens and residents. Maybe we will also import doctors and nurses and other professionals that we don’t seem to be growing enough of our own.

Since Australians are moving to the cities, we need imports to work in our regional medical practices, hospitals, ambulance stations and factories to support the people feeding our cities.
So, the people that will be migrating here, will build their own houses? And where will they live while they're building them? Tents?

Our infrastructure cant keep up with the amount of people we have already.
Adding basically the equivalent of Perth isn't going to help.

We need bigger hospitals, better infrastructure, more housing TODAY.

SBD

#604 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:42 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:26 pm
SBD wrote:
rev wrote:

So, the people that will be migrating here, will build their own houses? And where will they live while they're building them? Tents?

I don’t think all those new immigrants are expected to land all in one weekend.

Who is going to build the hospitals etc and staff them once completed? I’m not, and I doubt you are either. I haven’t heard there is a huge pool of unemployed building trades just waiting to make new hospitals, nor a pool of unemployed doctors and nurses to staff them when they are finished.

A lot of noise seems to be made about “employment” without much public thought about the fact that a bricklayer and a nurse need different skills and training/education. I’m not sure if the new “technical high schools” are going to result in a big increase in either group.

rev

#605 Post by rev » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:47 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:42 pm
rev wrote:
SBD wrote:

Who is going to build the hospitals etc and staff them once completed? I’m not, and I doubt you are either. I haven’t heard there is a huge pool of unemployed building trades just waiting to make new hospitals, nor a pool of unemployed doctors and nurses to staff them when they are finished.

A lot of noise seems to be made about “employment” without much public thought about the fact that a bricklayer and a nurse need different skills and training/education. I’m not sure if the new “technical high schools” are going to result in a big increase in either group.
Your solution is to bring the people, build everything later and worry about employment/industries later?

So basically more of what's already been happening.
You may have noticed all the problems we have with this already. I don't think continuing it is going to fix any of the existing problems.

Most migrants in the past came to this country because this country had a lack of workers/population to grow.
Today people coming here are either students, which is contributing to the rental crisis, or migrants largely with no skills or formal education/qualifications.

SBD

#606 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:07 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:47 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:42 pm
rev wrote:

Your solution is to bring the people, build everything later and worry about employment/industries later?

So basically more of what's already been happening.
You may have noticed all the problems we have with this already. I don't think continuing it is going to fix any of the existing problems.

Most migrants in the past came to this country because this country had a lack of workers/population to grow.
Today people coming here are either students, which is contributing to the rental crisis, or migrants largely with no skills or formal education/qualifications.
Most of the doctors at the practice I use were immigrants. One might have been a student who stayed, several were trained overseas.

A lot of refugees are highly educated as they are the ones who challenge their totalitarian governments. They end up driving taxis here as their qualifications are difficult to verify and validate.

Adelaide had several large “student accommodation “ buildings just before the pandemic. Have they been refilled yet?

rev

#607 Post by rev » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:17 pm

Lol, the majority of migrants are not doctors etc.

You can see most of them doing jobs, like Uber, cleaners, security guards and fast food service.

Sure those jobs are necessary, and honest work, but those jobs aren't what you build an economy on.

If that's the best our governments can do/provide, then we're in a lot of trouble.

The fact these are the sort of jobs these people are finding, should spell it out for you where things stand for our economy.

SBD

#608 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:36 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:17 pm

You can see most of them doing jobs, like Uber, cleaners, security guards and fast food service.

Sure those jobs are necessary, and honest work, but those jobs aren't what you build an economy on.

If that's the best our governments can do/provide, then we're in a lot of trouble.

The fact these are the sort of jobs these people are finding, should spell it out for you where things stand for our economy.
Australian Red Cross says that at least 34% of refugees and asylum seekers have tertiary qualifications, 60% have the equivalent of finishing high school. The page I found did not break down what the qualifications are. The fact that they are working in jobs "like Uber, cleaners, security guards and fast food service" does not prove that is all they have ever qualified for. The government of the place they are seeking to escape is unlikely to provide a reliable transcript of their qualifications.

rev

#609 Post by rev » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:58 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:36 pm
rev wrote:

Australian Red Cross says that at least 34% of refugees and asylum seekers have tertiary qualifications, 60% have the equivalent of finishing high school. The page I found did not break down what the qualifications are. The fact that they are working in jobs "like Uber, cleaners, security guards and fast food service" does not prove that is all they have ever qualified for. The government of the place they are seeking to escape is unlikely to provide a reliable transcript of their qualifications.
Even if the majority coming are highly skilled (they aren't, but that's not the point), there's not enough jobs or housing for the people here already, let alone the people coming. That's the point being made.

There's over 7,000 homeless people in South Australia, at least the official count anyway, the reality is it's probably in the five digits.
We can't support the people here NOW. Why are we bringing in another 2 million migrants, and 500,000 more students in the span of 2 years?

Where are they going to live?
What jobs are they going to have?

You can't answer that because you nor the government even know, because they have no plan. And that's the problem.

abc
Legendary Member!

#610 Post by abc » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:06 pm

rev wrote:
Labor is planning on 500,000 foreign students.
On top of the 2~ million new migrants over the next 2 years.

Tanya Pilbersek in response to Barnaby Joyce asking where they're all going to live, "the figures are lower when you were in government", on Sunrise this morning.
Unbelievable.

Other then getting her position because of gender and Labor being all about filling affirmative action quotas, what's she actually done, ever....?
There's just something about the way she comes across when she talks, its like she's talking down to you not with you.
Doesn't come across as an approachable person. There's no compassion in her voice, rather she has a very aggressive tone.

This response from her shows Labor just doesn't get it, how out of touch with reality they are.

It shows why these parasites sorry I mean politicians shouldn't be on a quarter of a million dollar salaries and pension for life that isn't means tested like the rest of us, but should be on the median salary.

Let the. live life on the average salary, particularly during a cost of living crisis that they have contributed to creating and are going to make worse with their piss poor decision making and shitty policies. Might give them some perspective and a dose of reality.

Its a bit like the wanker governor of the RBA telling people to spend less and live with their parents and friends instead.

All fucking clowns out of touch with the average Australian.

Hard to see how these woke ideologues in Labor win the next federal election especially with clowns like Albanese and Pilbersek running around. At least Wong knows to stay out of the spotlight when they're on the nose.

Cost of living crisis thats wrecking average Australians and decimating whats left of the middle class, but these idiots are more worried about their ideological "the voice" nonsense that's ignoring countless indigenous communities around the country.

her husband was a convicted heroin dealer

she's a lowlife in a parliament full of lowlifes

any politician that show's any semblance of service to the people of this lost country is purged by their own party

SBD

#611 Post by SBD » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:04 am

rev wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:58 pm
SBD wrote:
rev wrote:

Even if the majority coming are highly skilled (they aren't, but that's not the point), there's not enough jobs or housing for the people here already, let alone the people coming. That's the point being made.

There's over 7,000 homeless people in South Australia, at least the official count anyway, the reality is it's probably in the five digits.
We can't support the people here NOW. Why are we bringing in another 2 million migrants, and 500,000 more students in the span of 2 years?

You can't answer that because you nor the government even know, because they have no plan. And that's the problem.
More land has been "released for housing" by the current state government, and I think other states have done similar. There's land near me that was "released for housing" in 2011 and is still growing crops, so availability of land is not the issue. Therefore I assume it's either a government policy to keep people homeless, or there are issues further up the supply chain for housing. materials are available (even in rising inflation), so it must be labour.

Our governments make noise about new technical high schools, but there has long been a shortage of training and education to replace as many doctors, nurses, bricklayers, carpenters, veterinarians, occupational therapists, aged care support workers etc as are retiring and needed to meet increasing demand. There are minor shortages in parts of some metropolitan areas, but severe shortage in rural areas. A lot of those areas might have a house available for a doctor, but no doctor to live in it, and the hospital might still have its 1960s nurses quarters. While the skilled workers who came from the city can get a city job, they're not interested in moving to those rural areas.

A lot of migrants also run small businesses, so they bring their jobs with them, they don't have to be supplied with one - the stereotypical Asian take-away or Greek fish and chip shop for example.

You have started with the mindset that immigrants are a drain on our resources and economy. I have started from the mindset that immigration adds to the richness and diversity of our culture. "Middle class" Australians are used to being able to choose our work and only do the jobs we like and are popular in places we like. We need to either change that mindset or be prepared to accept immigration to fill the essential roles that "we" need but don't want to do ourselves.

Nort

#612 Post by Nort » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:22 am

rev wrote:
Old man yells at woke
Ok Rev.

rev

#613 Post by rev » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:13 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:04 am
rev wrote:
SBD wrote:

More land has been "released for housing" by the current state government, and I think other states have done similar. There's land near me that was "released for housing" in 2011 and is still growing crops, so availability of land is not the issue. Therefore I assume it's either a government policy to keep people homeless, or there are issues further up the supply chain for housing. materials are available (even in rising inflation), so it must be labour.

Our governments make noise about new technical high schools, but there has long been a shortage of training and education to replace as many doctors, nurses, bricklayers, carpenters, veterinarians, occupational therapists, aged care support workers etc as are retiring and needed to meet increasing demand. There are minor shortages in parts of some metropolitan areas, but severe shortage in rural areas. A lot of those areas might have a house available for a doctor, but no doctor to live in it, and the hospital might still have its 1960s nurses quarters. While the skilled workers who came from the city can get a city job, they're not interested in moving to those rural areas.

A lot of migrants also run small businesses, so they bring their jobs with them, they don't have to be supplied with one - the stereotypical Asian take-away or Greek fish and chip shop for example.

You have started with the mindset that immigrants are a drain on our resources and economy. I have started from the mindset that immigration adds to the richness and diversity of our culture. "Middle class" Australians are used to being able to choose our work and only do the jobs we like and are popular in places we like. We need to either change that mindset or be prepared to accept immigration to fill the essential roles that "we" need but don't want to do ourselves.
Is there a reason that you know of why that land remains undeveloped? Have developers been appointed? Is it an issue with the developers? Such as they haven't got the finances or haven't raised the finances to begin the site works like laying roads and utilities? Or have they just not gone to market with selling blocks? Or nobody is buying? I'd be amazed if nobody was interested in buying given the current market demand.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's an issue from the government side. I'm sure we've all seen housing developments by private developers, that get up and going pretty quickly.

When was the land released btw?

Yeh we've been hearing from countless governments basically about how they're doing this or that to increase tradie numbers and address the shortfall in trades workers.
What does it ever amount to?
It's always the usual "more funding for tafe places" or "assistance for apprentice tools or wages".

SBD

#614 Post by SBD » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:52 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:13 pm
SBD wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:04 am
rev wrote:

Is there a reason that you know of why that land remains undeveloped? Have developers been appointed? Is it an issue with the developers? Such as they haven't got the finances or haven't raised the finances to begin the site works like laying roads and utilities? Or have they just not gone to market with selling blocks? Or nobody is buying? I'd be amazed if nobody was interested in buying given the current market demand.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's an issue from the government side. I'm sure we've all seen housing developments by private developers, that get up and going pretty quickly.

When was the land released btw?

Yeh we've been hearing from countless governments basically about how they're doing this or that to increase tradie numbers and address the shortfall in trades workers.
What does it ever amount to?
It's always the usual "more funding for tafe places" or "assistance for apprentice tools or wages".
I don't know why it hasn't had any visible development. It was released to be masterplanned by Fairmont Group in October 2011. That disappeared from their website around when they started selling blocks at Almond Grove a few years later.

Blakeview East is elevated and sloping, but looks a lot more attractive than the newly-"released" land at Concordia, and closer to the city than the three large estates being developed between Willaston and Roseworthy.

rev

#615 Post by rev » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:23 pm

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at ... d5fd881a81

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at ... d5fd881a81

$900,000 a year on a defence advisory board.

What are her qualifications and expertise when it comes to Defence exactly?
And we wonder why our nations defence is always botched by government after government.