[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#871 Post by EBG » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:21 pm

Work has started on demolition of the large Chumney stack that can be seen from Frome St.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#872 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:32 pm

From today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR_T
Gold-Member ;)

#873 Post by MR_T » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:56 am

Who is the builder for the aboriginal arts project? HANSEN YUNCKEN OR LEND LEASE?

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#874 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:31 pm

From today:

Nathan

#875 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:04 pm

Can someone "accidentally" send one of the demo vehicles through the carpark, please?

Patrick_27

#876 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:30 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:04 pm
Can someone "accidentally" send one of the demo vehicles through the carpark, please?
Agreed. I would think that considering the mass excavation of this site that it wouldn't have been too much effort to burry a few thousand carparks below the new innovation hub and surrounding grounds.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#877 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:30 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:30 pm
Nathan wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:04 pm
Agreed. I would think that considering the mass excavation of this site that it wouldn't have been too much effort to burry a few thousand carparks below the new innovation hub and surrounding grounds.
They aren't actually demolishing the buildings beyond the basement level. Everything above ground and the basement goes, but the piles and other major things below this level are staying. The location of the remaining piles is picked up before the basement is backfilled. The design of the new buildings is such that they will miss the remaining structures.

Building an underground carpark would result in these piles needing to be removed. It would probably extend the demolition process by a year or more.

There has been a relatively standstill with the demolition for the past 2 weeks whilst the long arm excavator has been partially off site. It's now back and reassembled. I'd expect the remaining lift core to be down quite quickly from here.

They have also started demolishing the chimney between Frome Rd and the carpark. Workers in a basket hanging from a crane were jack hammering the top today.

Does anyone know what this chimney was? I presume a furnace of some sort?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Llessur2002

#878 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:25 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:30 pm
Does anyone know what this chimney was? I presume a furnace of some sort?
Most hospitals back in the day had their own incinerators for medical waste and such. Like many other industries, lots also just had big holes to chuck stuff in and then cover over when full.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#879 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:14 pm

Lots of activity today:

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#880 Post by ginzahikari » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:21 pm

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#881 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:41 pm

Update from around Lot Fourteen today:

Llessur2002

#882 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:13 pm

This is shaping up to look amazing.
New $200m Aboriginal art gallery named Tarrkarri, which means ‘the future’ in Kaurna language

Construction on the state’s landmark $200 million indigenous art gallery has started, as its symbolic name is revealed.

Premier Steven Marshall and Kaurna Elder Uncle Jeffrey Newchurch on Tuesday unveiled the centre’s name, Tarrkarri, which will be the future centrepiece of Adelaide’s Lot Fourteen site.

Mr Marshall said the new name meant “the future” in Kaurna language and “symbolises the setting of strong foundations for the Centre and where the Centre is located on the Adelaide Plains”.

The Aboriginal Art and Cultures Centre will house Aboriginal artefacts and other indigenous artworks when it opens in 2025.

Officials say the name was selected by the centre’s Aboriginal Reference Group and given cultural consent by Kaurna Warra Karrpanthi.

Major builder Lend Lease has started construction, which will take 2.5 years.

The final plans for the Aboriginal Arts and Cultures Centre at Lot Fourteen. Picture: Diller Scofidio + Renfro and Woods Bagot

The centre’s North Terrace frontage. Picture: Diller Scofidio + Renfro and Woods Bagot

Mr Marshall said fewer than 1 per cent of current artefacts were on public display.

“Traditionally there’s been a lot of focus … about indigenous deficits, so what is going wrong and closing the gap,” Mr Marshall said.

“We have to work on closing that gap. But this to me is a narrative game changer.

“This is where, I think, young Aboriginal people will be able to look up at the most incredible and impressive building on the skyline and say ‘that’s my culture’ and something they can be very proud of.

“We will, of course, acknowledge the harsh realities and truth on colonisation in Australia. “There will be an element of truth telling. There will overwhelmingly, I think, be an element of celebration … on all that Aboriginal Australia has achieved. But most importantly, the future Tarrkarri, what is lying ahead.”

Ambassador for the Aboriginal Art and Cultures Centre and the Aboriginal Reference Group leader, David Rathman, said the new Kaurna name was a “perfect title”.

“(It) will showcase to the world, and all Australians, 60,000 years of culture, understanding of country and contemporary expression,” he said.

“It will allow us to share our unique cultures and stories, while creating a lively and immersive journey together.”

Aerial view of the centre. Picture: Diller Scofidio + Renfro and Woods Bagot

Federal Communications and Arts Minister Paul Fletcher said the centre, jointly funded through the Adelaide City Deal, would be an “important cultural and tourism attraction”.

“The new Aboriginal Art and Cultures Centre – Tarrkarri – will showcase the rich history of Aboriginal cultures in Australia to hundreds of thousands of visitors each year through immersive visual and performance arts,” Minister Fletcher said.

Mr Marshall said a director and board was being finalised but it would have a heavy representation from indigenous cultures.

An assistant director, Lee-ann Buckskin, has been appointed.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... f93a29d74e

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#883 Post by Pikey » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:46 pm

It's the single most striking development Adelaide has seen, in my opinion. I'm sure it will be globally recognised for most importantly the 65,000 years of stories and knowledge the centre will share, along with it's incredible design form. I can't wait to see this grow and its built form develop. It looks phenomenal!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#884 Post by Spotto » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:34 pm

The architecture is shaping up to be stunning!

We've gone from upside-down triangular prism, to Cheese Grater 2.0, to this. Can't wait to see what further refinements they make!

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#885 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:47 pm

Pikey wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:46 pm
It's the single most striking development Adelaide has seen, in my opinion. I'm sure it will be globally recognised for most importantly the 65,000 years of stories and knowledge the centre will share, along with it's incredible design form. I can't wait to see this grow and its built form develop. It looks phenomenal!
I'd be very surprised if it's "globally" recognised tbh, but it will hopefully entice more interstate visitors to S.A