[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#1006 Post by mattblack » Tue May 23, 2023 1:22 pm

As a person who has travelled quite a bit I tend to travel to places because of word of mouth as a great place to be with lots of things to do. I don't have a structured itinerary generally except for maybe a few things on the list, by if a place is really that engaging, I either extend my stay or plan to go back. Identifying one reason for a visitors stay is completely pointless.

If done to a high level, this will be just another element that will add to visitors experience and encourage repeat visits of greater overnight stays.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#1007 Post by Spurdo » Wed May 24, 2023 4:41 pm

Why not build something like a questacon/scienceworks type science museum there? It is located right next door to the tech precinct after all

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1008 Post by Pikey » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:13 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:24 am
The Lot 14 thread is still locked. Feel free to move this.
SA government seeks philanthropic funding to secure Tarrkarri – Centre for First Nations Cultures project

The South Australian government has set an end-of-year deadline to decide whether a stalled plan to build what's touted to be a globally significant Aboriginal art and cultural centre in Adelaide's CBD will go ahead.

A cost blowout has cast doubt over the future of Tarrkarri.(Supplied: Woods Bagot)

Premier Peter Malinauskas said he had also spoken with several philanthropists and the federal government about contributing funding for the Tarrkarri Aboriginal Art and Cultures Centre, which is at risk of being abandoned if additional money is not found.

"I've personally spoken to entities who have expressed an interest in potentially partnering with us and that will be important," he said on Monday.

"It's an expensive project. I think it's an important project culturally for our state on that parcel of land.

Mr Malinauskas previously warned that Tarrkarri could cost up to $600 million if built on North Terrace — three times the amount currently budgeted by the state and federal governments.

He said the state government had not ruled out increasing its budget for the project and it would be open to accepting funding from publicly listed companies.

"If there are good private companies or individuals who would want to make a contribution to this effort and are interested in the project, then we remain receptive to working with them collaboratively," he said.

Second Tarrkarri review commissioned

Tarrkarri is slated to be bigger than the South Australian Museum and the Art Gallery of South Australia combined, which could draw hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.

It is also set to display tens of thousands of Indigenous artefacts from across Australia, which have sat in storage for decades.

But the government put the project on hold in October following a $50 million cost blowout.

At the time, it announced former Indigenous Australians minister Ken Wyatt, former New South Wales premier Bob Carr and former investment banker Carolyn Hewson would review the project.

Contract documents recently released by the government show it also appointed former SA Tourism Commission chairman Andrew McEvoy to conduct a second Tarrkarri review in December.

The government tasked Mr McEvoy with investigating how many overseas tourists would be attracted to the centre if it opened.

"There wasn't the serious work done to make sure that this is a good thing to do," Mr Malinauskas said on Monday.

"We're being really scrupulous about wanting to make sure that the decision we make is underpinned by evidence that any such investment will be a lasting, positive one for the state culturally, but also economically."

The former state government did consider how many people would visit the centre once it opened.

A document released in 2021 which summarised the findings of a confidential business case stated that between 485,000 and 581,000 people would visit the centre in 2025.

It stated that the number of annual visitors to the centre would increase by up to 665,000 people by 2040.

The state government is yet to publicly release the full Tarrkarri business case, or the reviews conducted by McEvoy, Wyatt, Carr and Hewson.
From: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-15/ ... /102728930
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1009 Post by rev » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:03 am

Pikey wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:13 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:24 am
Cost blow outs aside, I reckon a great feature that should be included is a waterfall from the roof in that centre ring.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1010 Post by rev » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:36 pm

Spurdo wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:41 pm
Why not build something like a questacon/scienceworks type science museum there? It is located right next door to the tech precinct after all
Lets get this thread back on track and let the mods to hopefully deal with nort/abc/spotto.

I wonder if some of the Uni buildings on Frome aren't heritage listed and could be demolished or repurposed into a museum? Perhaps between that site, the multi-level car park (is that staying or going?), and the North Terrace frontage they could build a tech/science museum and the Aboriginal cultural centre, with a large public plaza between them that integrates into The Botanic Gardens?
Perhaps the Playford and Napier buildings (I think that's what they're called, two fugly looking buildings between others) could be demolished and replaced for the Uni.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#1011 Post by NTRabbit » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:19 pm

I'm trying to figure out what they're gunning so hard to use the site for instead, because switching back to the original Contemporary plans doesn't seem like something the Labor Right, Liberal Lite state government of today would be interested in either.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1012 Post by abc » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:08 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:36 pm
Spurdo wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:41 pm
Lets get this thread back on track and let the mods to hopefully deal with nort/abc/spotto.
do you realise its snide sniping comments like this from you that cause the animosity in this place... look in the mirror

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#1013 Post by baytram366 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:26 am

Personally i think a contemporary museum dedicated to Adelaide / South Australian history would be best - and this could also combine the aboriginal history too along with the architecture museum which is currently crammed into a tiny room at the uni. Something with a more broader appeal to more people would be better I believe for this site.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1014 Post by Spotto » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:50 am

baytram366 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:26 am
Personally i think a contemporary museum dedicated to Adelaide / South Australian history would be best - and this could also combine the aboriginal history too along with the architecture museum which is currently crammed into a tiny room at the uni. Something with a more broader appeal to more people would be better I believe for this site.
What would be the draw card for just another contemporary gallery? Those can be built anywhere in the world and filled with any kind of art pieces. If you go too broad, you lose any main appeal.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1015 Post by rhino » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:27 am

Spotto wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:50 am
baytram366 wrote:
What would be the draw card for just another contemporary gallery? Those can be built anywhere in the world and filled with any kind of art pieces. If you go too broad, you lose any main appeal.
BayTram suggested a museum, not a gallery. Rather than just artwork, it would be telling a historical story - that would be the drawcard.
cheers,
Rhino

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1016 Post by Spotto » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:10 pm

rhino wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:27 am
Spotto wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:50 am
baytram366 wrote:
BayTram suggested a museum, not a gallery. Rather than just artwork, it would be telling a historical story - that would be the drawcard.
My mistake, I misread.

Rephrasing my point, what would be the drawcard for a contemporary museum? What time period are you envisioning when you think "contemporary"?

If you're talking about just telling a historical story, there's far more story to tell for a thousands-year long cultural history crossing hundreds of local nation groups, versus 120+ years of state history (200+ if colonial is included). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is unique to Australia and tourists are drawn to it.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1017 Post by Pikey » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:25 pm

Don't forget that there is a proposal for a Museum of Adelaide as part of the Keystone (Stonemason) Tower on North Terrace, which would add to the overall precinct.

I for one really hope this development goes ahead as intended. It's an extraordinary opportunity, incredible design and allows some incredibly significant pieces of hugely cultural importance to be shared, appreciated and celebrated.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1018 Post by SRW » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:38 pm

Meanwhile, can someone explain what works are actually ongoing in the precinct? The only thing that seems to be achieved from months of slow dirt pushing and over staffed traffic management is an interestingly shaped concrete foundation that I presume is part of landscaping? No progress is evident for the EIC building.
Keep Adelaide Weird

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#1019 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:49 am

SRW wrote:Meanwhile, can someone explain what works are actually ongoing in the precinct? The only thing that seems to be achieved from months of slow dirt pushing and over staffed traffic management is an interestingly shaped concrete foundation that I presume is part of landscaping? No progress is evident for the EIC building.
Agree that it’s been really slow going. A few workers there this morning, but no major progress other than the concrete shapes you mentioned:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1020 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:27 am

The more I think about it the more I think an expansion of the botanic garden would be a nice outcome for the site, or at least a good portion of it. Something that softens the boundary of the garden with North Terrace and also contains a significant attraction such as a treetop walkway (akin to the one in Kings Park, Perth) or similar. Maybe the proposed gallery site could become half music bowl and half botanic garden - it would be easy to create a nice transition/connection between the two and create a flexible space for music and larger arts events such as Illuminate Adelaide, Fringe etc - it would still be a relatively major attraction that would draw people to that end of NT.

The cost would be relatively minimal and politically it would be very safe for Mali - he'd be the Premier who genuinely returned land to the parklands. Who's really going to argue or find fault with that?
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:50 am, edited 4 times in total.