[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#901 Post by SRW » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:27 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:25 pm
Upvote from me. I think it's a neat conceptual link to the space agency. And besides, it's not like it's a banana with a skull.
I mean... if John Oliver's bid is unsuccessful and Fitzroy prepared to part... imaging coming to North Terrace to see an unholy alliance of phallic sculpture.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#902 Post by Prodical » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:57 pm

The site for the enterprise and innovation centre building
Attachments
L 2.jpg
L 1.jpg

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#903 Post by shiftaling » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:50 pm

Algernon wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:22 pm
AndyWelsh wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:02 am
“The ratio between the dark and light areas of the sculpture is based on the hypothesis that dark matter and dark energy make up 95% of the universe, leaving only 5% of ‘normal matter’ visible. The illuminated section of the circle represents everyone and everything we can see, every atom, cell, rock, planet and galaxy in the universe. The dark section is a placeholder, a way of referencing everything that remains a mystery. It is an acknowledgement of the gaps in our knowledge and our blind spots. It provides a space that we can enter, to speculate
and imagine and test our knowledge against. It is a place of pure potential and opportunity, for new meaning, new ways of thinking and being in and with each other and the universe.”
Most pretentious wank I've read all year
I mean, I take your point but if everyone thought that way there wouldn't be sculpture of any kind. The idea had to come from somewhere.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#904 Post by ynotsfables » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:40 pm

It will be the home of Australia's new space agency, this is most appropriate.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#905 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:13 pm

The WA government have announced, as part of a previous election pitch, their own Aboriginal cultural centre with the aim for a world standard facility. So far the WA state and federal government have jointly contributed $100m in ‘seed’ funding, which suggests the overall construction budget (and size) of the facility will be huge by comparison to what we have underway. I suspect they won’t be the last, no doubt once construction of the NVG Contemporary is in full swing, we’ll probably then see something similar emerge in Victoria to support their claims that Melbourne is the cultural capital of Australia. It’s great to see indigenous cultural representation but once again, I can’t help but feel we missed an opportunity to spend more and allow for the majority of our state’s indigenous collection to go on display - after all, we have the largest collection of its kind in the world…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-15/ ... c_news_web

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#906 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:35 pm

Half measures are after all the long time calling card of the SA Liberal party

Ho Really

#907 Post by Ho Really » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:22 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:35 pm
Half measures are after all the long time calling card of the SA Liberal party
Nothing to do with which party. It's a state problem.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

claybro

#908 Post by claybro » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:41 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:13 pm
The WA government have announced, as part of a previous election pitch, their own Aboriginal cultural centre with the aim for a world standard facility. So far the WA state and federal government have jointly contributed $100m in ‘seed’ funding, which suggests the overall construction budget (and size) of the facility will be huge by comparison to what we have underway. I suspect they won’t be the last, no doubt once construction of the NVG Contemporary is in full swing, we’ll probably then see something similar emerge in Victoria to support their claims that Melbourne is the cultural capital of Australia. It’s great to see indigenous cultural representation but once again, I can’t help but feel we missed an opportunity to spend more and allow for the majority of our state’s indigenous collection to go on display - after all, we have the largest collection of its kind in the world…

There will no doubt be an Aboriginal Cultural center in every capital eventually. What will set Adelaide apart is its world renowned and longstanding collection of ancient artifacts, reputedly the most extensive collection of its kind in the world. Adelaide centers of any kind will never be as flashy or big or bright as everywhere else, but where it shines is in niche markets, particularly cultural education...and on that-the center in Perth wont be up to the standard of the Adelaide collection housed within the building. Just on a side note, the recently completed WA Museum is in my opinion a massive let down, despite hundreds of millions spent, over a huge heritage site...the exhibitions are/have been a bit underwhelming. The Adelaide Aboriginal Cultural center will add to the cultural boulevard of North Terrace-which is also something none of the other capitals have, - its quite magnificent by Australian standards.. and it should be marketed as a whole precinct.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#909 Post by Jaymz » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:29 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:41 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:13 pm

There will no doubt be an Aboriginal Cultural center in every capital eventually. What will set Adelaide apart is its world renowned and longstanding collection of ancient artifacts, reputedly the most extensive collection of its kind in the world. Adelaide centers of any kind will never be as flashy or big or bright as everywhere else, but where it shines is in niche markets, particularly cultural education...and on that-the center in Perth wont be up to the standard of the Adelaide collection housed within the building. Just on a side note, the recently completed WA Museum is in my opinion a massive let down, despite hundreds of millions spent, over a huge heritage site...the exhibitions are/have been a bit underwhelming. The Adelaide Aboriginal Cultural center will add to the cultural boulevard of North Terrace-which is also something none of the other capitals have, - its quite magnificent by Australian standards.. and it should be marketed as a whole precinct.
Absolutely. We can never match it with the bigger cities with regards large-scale arts establishments, and herein is the point. Adelaide is all about quality. Perth will no doubt spend more money and it'll be bigger and flashier than ours, but the people that really care will see the difference. Just take AGSA or Adelaide Festival for example, they might not be the biggest but probably the most respected in the country to those in the know.

Llessur2002

#910 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:28 pm

A few quickies from this morning:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#911 Post by Norman » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:14 am

Great photos, thank you!

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#912 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:23 pm

Any idea what the brick structures are in the foreground of the 2nd photo?

I know there were quite extensive tunnels on the site, is this the remains of them?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#913 Post by ralmin » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:29 pm

The brick structures in photo 2 appear to be part of the foundations of the residential wing.

As an aside, when Lot 14 was just getting started, they used an apartment on the ground floor of that Residential Wing building as the temporary End of Trip facility for the tenants employees to have a shower after riding bikes to work. A much better End of Trip facility was later opened in the basement of the McEwin Building, where the Space Agency is, after that building's renovation was completed.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#914 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:52 am

Article re: the culture centre review: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-31/ ... /101596090

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#915 Post by SRW » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:19 pm

Similar article from InDaily: https://indaily.com.au/news/2022/10/31/ ... re-on-ice/

I'm not sure what to think here. It's reassuring that Malinauskas is affirming the desire for a centre of international rather than merely state significance. Several in this thread had similarly mentioned that the NT and WA proposals had the potential to surpass Tarkarri in importance. But the architects have indicated that at least $50 million more is needed to realise the vision, so why not simply commit to a larger budget rather than delay with a full review?
Keep Adelaide Weird