[VIS] New Womens and Childrens Hospital

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#286 Post by Nort » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:16 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:05 pm
Nort wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:47 pm
What a fucking awful decision.
Nort is very passionate about this
You're damn right, it's a decision based on seeing the parklands as nothing but cheap development land.

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#287 Post by cocoiadrop » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:37 pm

Forgetting the terrible location, we have yet another massive car park instead of investing in public transport links. The obsession with forcing people into cars to access healthcare services is why I had to go on a tram with COVID to get to the RAH testing clinic. It's making me worried.

noted
High Rise Poster!

#288 Post by noted » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:39 pm

I am probably just getting far too old and cynical but I tend to think that there is absolutelty no way this revised version will ever be built- and the Government knows it. They are picking an almighty fight with the parklands and heritage advocacy groups, and if a development forum is largely negative about the location, I'd say it will be a pretty hard sell to the public as well. I don't even expect any of the health bodies to be that excited about itgiven the lack of connectivity between the two.

It will end up getting built over the railways or canned altogether, and the government will say they tried to find a cheaper but didn't have any public support for it.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#289 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:42 pm

Given the Libs, SA Best and One Nation all appear inclined to support the necessary legislative change, whether this is stopped will depend on public opprobrium. Do not allow this government’s profound lack of imagination fool you into thinking that a public good is dependant on a public bad. The trade off is false.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Algernon

#290 Post by Algernon » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:38 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:31 pm
One other thing to consider... what impact would this have on events in Bonython Park? I imagine some of the music festivals might be deemed too loud to be immediately adjacent to the hospital.
The music festival would've been the one telling my mrs to shut up when she had our son

Simmos083
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#291 Post by Simmos083 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:50 pm

Why are people complaining about the location? So what it’s a heritage site. Does anyone really go there ? Parklands will go well big deal… how much “parklands” do we really need? It’s a waste of space snd prime location for development. Same things should be happening by south terrace parklands.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#292 Post by Jim » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:02 pm

Simmos083 wrote:Why are people complaining about the location? So what it’s a heritage site. Does anyone really go there ? Parklands will go well big deal… how much “parklands” do we really need? It’s a waste of space snd prime location for development. Same things should be happening by south terrace parklands.
I am sure the key heritage buildings could be rebuilt near the old Adelaide jail to make a more interesting heritage precinct .
The police could shift to the Keswick army barracks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#293 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:41 pm

noted wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:39 pm
I am probably just getting far too old and cynical but I tend to think that there is absolutelty no way this revised version will ever be built- and the Government knows it. They are picking an almighty fight with the parklands and heritage advocacy groups, and if a development forum is largely negative about the location, I'd say it will be a pretty hard sell to the public as well. I don't even expect any of the health bodies to be that excited about itgiven the lack of connectivity between the two.

It will end up getting built over the railways or canned altogether, and the government will say they tried to find a cheaper but didn't have any public support for it.
No, they are very serious about it. They had a website and primetime tv ads ready to roll out today. This is a real risk.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#294 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:45 pm

Simmos083 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:50 pm
Why are people complaining about the location? So what it’s a heritage site. Does anyone really go there ? Parklands will go well big deal… how much “parklands” do we really need? It’s a waste of space snd prime location for development. Same things should be happening by south terrace parklands.
Leaving aside your risible assertions about the value of parkland and heritage, explain to me exactly how this is 'prime location for development' beyond it being what you wrongly consider free land? Even the government's site review group notes this location has the least potential for urban uplift. It is too far from both the western suburbs and city centre to deliver economic dividends. Compare that with how city-shaping a hospital on the Newmarket block would be.
Keep Adelaide Weird

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#295 Post by dsriggs » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:18 pm

Ironically enough, Lot Fourteen would've been a far better location for a new W&CH than this.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#296 Post by Jaymz » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:20 pm

What a schmozzle. They claim the site needs to suit S.A's needs for the next 100 years, it's a shame the didn't apply the same criteria to the nRAH years back.

Not to mention the cost blowout. You really couldn't make this stuff up :lol:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#297 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:24 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:20 pm
What a schmozzle. They claim the site needs to suit S.A's needs for the next 100 years, it's a shame the didn't apply the same criteria to the nRAH years back.

Not to mention the cost blowout. You really couldn't make this stuff up :lol:
I have to agree... This proposal suffers from the same myopia that resulted in a nRAH without plans for expansion or colocation. They have no sense of how it all fits together, let alone what they will sacrifice in blind pursuit.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

[VIS] New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#298 Post by Vasco » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:55 pm

Can’t please everyone it would seem.

Oh well I for one am more than happy with the outcome and beats the previous site, but do agree with comments about the car park. Cost also seems a bit rich and would be interested to know the future proofing options for further expansion (more than the extra 20 or so provisioned future beds).

I did call for it to go on the site of the planned stadium site on this forum a few months back. No one in Parliament / media etc or even this forum seems to be expressing this as an option to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nort

#299 Post by Nort » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:35 pm

Simmos083 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:50 pm
That part of the parklands is one of the consistently busiest and well utilized. It's a model of what the rest of them could be.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#300 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:07 pm

I'm surprised they didn't pick the site where the previous government proposed the new convention centre/indoor arena. Would've thought that would be much less controversial than this site.