[VIS] New Womens and Childrens Hospital

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

[VIS] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#271 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:12 pm

The Newmarket corner was considered, at least it was by previous governments, it is already owned by another developer and would have cost them a lot of money to buy it or a lot of good will to forcibly acquire it.

Best available spot is over part of the railyards between the RAH and the river

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#272 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:16 pm

NTRabbit wrote:The Newmarket corner was considered, at least it was by previous governments, it is already owned by another developer and would have cost them a lot of money to buy it or a lot of good will to forcibly acquire it.

Best available spot is over part of the railyards between the RAH and the river
If its no problem acquiring a shit ton of properties for a road, then I can’t see how one block of mostly 1-2 level buildings and surface carparking is prohibitive.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#273 Post by Saltwater » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:19 pm

Absolutely, I'm not particularly attached to the Thebarton Barracks, but it feels like this is a bad outcome. Maybe its just "4D chess" so after consultation the government says "ok, we listened, and will keep the heritage buildings, but it will mean building on the railyards and down near the river instead", which personally I have no problem with as long as they retain the running and cycling path that very few people use anyway.

Another tram stop along Port Road closer to the traffic playground should be built regardless. And at some point, a pedestrian overpass / underpass from the Western Parklands over Port Road.

Llessur2002

#274 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:36 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:19 pm
I have no problem with as long as they retain the running and cycling path that very few people use anyway.
Minor point and don't want to veer off topic but I cycle this route regularly and I'd describe it as a pretty busy path - both for cyclists and runners/walkers.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#275 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:40 pm

CMAX would be perfect for the Trinity Church proposal.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#276 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:44 pm

You can provide feedback at [email protected].
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#277 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:22 pm

Submitted feedback.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rooshooter
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#278 Post by rooshooter » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:32 pm

I’d almost forgive the location if it were an outstanding design. This is far from outstanding, or the usual bs “world class”.
A multi story car park, with an open deck? It’s hideous, and such a terrible environmental message plonking a Soviet era parking block on parklands (what could be, but never will…).
And the Utopia-esque green roof. It looks literally like a painted roof.
Or is it a properly functional green roof, as part of an overall aim to blend somewhat into the parklands, offer an inviting environment, offer real world class solutions for access (train line access, tram and bus station), underground parking, integrated Rah access via underground tunnel… yeah yeah, the state couldn’t afford my shopping list… but jeez.
This doesn’t integrate with the parklands at all, it doesn’t integrate well with the RAH, it doesn’t offer any access solutions outside of a whopping big car park.
Just shit.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#279 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:47 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:22 pm
Submitted feedback.
:lol:

Nort

#280 Post by Nort » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:47 pm

What a fucking awful decision.

Llessur2002

#281 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:52 pm

Location aside I don't find the hospital building itself that offensive but man that car park is hideous. Looks like an afterthought added to the design and copy-pasted from one of the various o-bahn park and ride proposals.

However, on that note I think it's fair to acknowledge that the design is likely very preliminary so probably best not to read too much into it at this stage.

Location is very confusing - almost like it's being set up to fail so that it doesn't actually have to be paid for within the foreseeable future...
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#282 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:05 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:47 pm
What a fucking awful decision.
Nort is very passionate about this

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#283 Post by Ben » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:21 pm

This is a terrible decision and a worrying precedent. Essentially if this goes ahead it will mean heritage protection status and parklands literally mean nothing other than lip service. The whole point of those protections is to prevent this exact type of thing from occurring.

Why not consider
Coca-cola amatil factory
west end brewery
Australia Post site
Keswick Barracks / Le Cornu

seeing as the hospitals wont be linked anyway.

Nathan

#284 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:31 pm

One other thing to consider... what impact would this have on events in Bonython Park? I imagine some of the music festivals might be deemed too loud to be immediately adjacent to the hospital.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#285 Post by AG » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:03 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:31 pm
One other thing to consider... what impact would this have on events in Bonython Park? I imagine some of the music festivals might be deemed too loud to be immediately adjacent to the hospital.
On the flip side, any casualties from any incidents at those events would be right on the doorstep of both the WCH and RAH...

The lack of planning and pushing of political agendas on this project is apparent. Transport, heritage and environmental considerations appear well down on the list of considerations in the planning beyond the immediate drive to add more beds to the health system.