[COM] Festival Plaza Incl. 115m Tower | $800 million

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Festival Plaza Incl. 115m Tower | $800 million

#1 Post by Pikey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:17 pm

I count 27 levels, should be over the 100m mark! Nice design too!

Precinct plan.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6680816701
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: 27lvl Commercial & Entertainment tower - Festival P

#2 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:47 pm

I'm hopeful as it is Walker and he has vision

however the article specially says the application by Walker doesn't match the artist impression in the picture.
Last edited by Waewick on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Is this an actual proposal or just a concept image?

claybro

#4 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Maybe Channel 9 can consummate their new found love for Adelaide by moving from their dilapidated property at Tynte Street and move in here as the anchor tenant.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Splashmo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Sorry to be the dissenting voice but an office tower? Really? Here in the heart of the cultural precinct?

It would dwarf Parliament House and the Festival Centre. It'd be at the whims of the commercial sector and I bet we'd end up with something tacky like MyBudget or AussieATM (bad examples) plastering their logos all over it. What happens if there's no tenants and we get big for lease signs hanging in the area?

Matt
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Office tower = people mass.

[Shuz]

#7 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:04 pm

It's a beautiful looking tower but its just far too big and inappropriate for the location.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Dog » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Matt wrote:Is this an actual proposal or just a concept image?
From radio today it's a Woods Bagot concept to indicate what is possible on the site, ie not block views of theatre from North terrace etc.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by pushbutton » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:16 pm

So is it a commercial and entertainment tower, or an office tower?

If it's a commercial and entertainment tower then maybe (just maybe) it could be a very good thing.

If it's an office tower, keep it away from the riverbank area. There's plenty of other locations to build office towers. We need entertainment and public amenity.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by ml69 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:51 pm

I'd support a landmark tower on the site. I think however the tower should be a 4-5 star hotel with a smaller separate commercial office component.

A sexy landmark tower of 100m (or taller) would look fantastic on the picture postcard views of Adelaide, and be further tangible evidence of our CBD revitalization.

In keeping with the nature of the Riverbank precinct, a tourist office at ground level and rooftop observation deck for the public (with restaurant and bar) would be a great addition to the area and Adelaide. There is no better location for an observation deck.
Last edited by ml69 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Mants » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:00 pm

I would be in support of this...changing the postcard image of Adelaide is essential IMO.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Splashmo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:20 pm

The other issue I have is the use of the site. Hajek Plasa should be enhanced as a public space - look at the success of Barrio for instance. If you built an office building, for ordinary people that space would be lost and couldn't fulfil its potential. If you had to do an office building in the Riverbank precint I would have thought the convention centre would be more appropriate.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 pm

Agree with the rooftop bar/restaurant with a view/viewing deck suggestion.

London has plenty - Gherkin, Tower 42, Shard, Heron Tower, etc, all offering different views of the city from their respective spots.

Would love to see something like this in Adelaide, particularly there. The views from the Intercontinental are great, but this spot would be even better.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:36 am

The thread title is a little misleading, isn't it? A proposal hasn't yet been made, and tbh, that's a saving grace as far as this design is concerned -- it's far too domineering of the space.

I have to say that I'm losing confidence in the government's handling of the riverbank - despite the rhetorical deference to precinct masterplanning, I can't help but feel that they're making it up as they go along. This rezoning to suit Walker Corp is a case in point, especially given Minister Koutsantonis basically ruled out government tenancy. An office tower in this space driven entirely by commercial interests could very well be a repeat of the follies of ASER.
Keep Adelaide Weird

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:01 am

The design is nice, but in such a landmark location it needs to be simply amazing. Lots of high quality glass is the key, hello SAHMRI.

TBH I'm not exactly sold on the idea of transforming this area into a Federation Square style precinct. Considering next year we will have two pedestrian plazas on opposite ends of the city, Victoria Square and the A.O Southern Plaza. What I would rather see is this development expanded to include more tourism features. Such as, an IMAX or regular cinema would be the perfect drawcard to lure people to the Riverbank. 3D movies have improved dramatically since the closure of IMAX Rundle St and there is still no mainstream cinema in the CBD. The lower levels could also feature ten pin bowling, a state information centre, cafes, restaurants and bars. While the middle levels should be office and the upper levels a 5-star hotel.

Also I'm not sure these developments are going to be enough to draw lots of people day and night to the Riverbank. So instead of going ahead with the new plenary hall, it should be replaced with another mixed use building. This could even include a cinema complex instead of Festival Plaza. I would also suggest demolishing the Riverside building but that's unlikely to happen within this next decade sadly.

A new plenary hall could be built on the otherside of Morphett St, and possibly feature more cafes, mid rise apartments and landscaped parkland. Connection between both the exisiting Convention Centre and new building could be via a ground level walkway or an pedestrian overpass. Which could act an entrance into the CBD with a brilliant design and fancy lighting.

In the end these are all just ideas. But regardless of what happens, the 'entertainment' section of the Riverbank needs to be focused just on that. Art galleries, museums or cultural attractions are better suited to the east of King William St, eg RAH site. If we want the Riverbank Precinct to be an exciting, interesting and a happening place then we need to think up big. Plonking a cafe here and there isn't going to cut it.

:2cents:
claybro wrote:Maybe Channel 9 can consummate their new found love for Adelaide by moving from their dilapidated property at Tynte Street and move in here as the anchor tenant.
Great idea.