[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#766 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:20 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:32 pm
The issue is, not so much if the 36ers choose to play there or not, but given it’s stated capacity of 8-9000.. and if the owners are spending $20 million, they will be poaching concerts, and larger netball games etc that as a city, we need to decide if continued car dependence is the way to go? If the 36ers fall on hard times, and are offered a lifeline here, you can be guaranteed they will be back there also. Clearly this venue, ticks none of the boxes for ease of access, nor does it create any before or after game/concert activity. It is too big a venue for the location and should be canned even from an urban planning perspective.
That's been Findon's capacity since it opened, it's not like Peligra are expanding the capacity. In fact, I'd dare say if the budget was more than $20 million, they would be looking to reduce capacity and remove the big south upper stand, that's now obsolete.

Further to that, Findon's had the ability to attract concerts for well over a decade now, and yet I think I can count on one hand the number of concerts held there. Big acts are still going to pick the Entertainment Centre for concerts over what is essentially going to be a massive recreation centre (I say that in a complimentary way) at Findon.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#767 Post by rev » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:01 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:20 pm
claybro wrote:
The issue is, not so much if the 36ers choose to play there or not, but given it’s stated capacity of 8-9000.. and if the owners are spending $20 million, they will be poaching concerts, and larger netball games etc that as a city, we need to decide if continued car dependence is the way to go? If the 36ers fall on hard times, and are offered a lifeline here, you can be guaranteed they will be back there also. Clearly this venue, ticks none of the boxes for ease of access, nor does it create any before or after game/concert activity. It is too big a venue for the location and should be canned even from an urban planning perspective.
That's been Findon's capacity since it opened, it's not like Peligra are expanding the capacity. In fact, I'd dare say if the budget was more than $20 million, they would be looking to reduce capacity and remove the big south upper stand, that's now obsolete.

Further to that, Findon's had the ability to attract concerts for well over a decade now, and yet I think I can count on one hand the number of concerts held there. Big acts are still going to pick the Entertainment Centre for concerts over what is essentially going to be a massive recreation centre (I say that in a complimentary way) at Findon.
Capacity aside, what's there to do nearby pre-concert at Findon?
Where will people park/how will they get there/home?

abc
Legendary Member!

#768 Post by abc » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:09 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
claybro wrote:

the acoustics for live music in that shed would be atrocious

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#769 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:29 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:01 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
claybro wrote:

Capacity aside, what's there to do nearby pre-concert at Findon?
Where will people park/how will they get there/home?
There's Shapeshifter, but that's about it.

JCK98
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#770 Post by JCK98 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:38 pm

Seems to be adding 3 indoor courts, a bunch of outdoor ones on what used to be used as a car park and a new gym/office space out the back. I can't see the 36ers moving games back there (except preseason matches or the odd double booking at the Entertainment Centre) when there's even less parking and not much substantial upgrades in the main arena. Local Grand Finals and Lightning games will stay there, though.

The 36ers are back training there after moving to the un-air-conditioned Port Adelaide Stadium for a season because of a dispute with the previous owners, but could still use the upgrade to compete with other clubs in the NBL.

https://hdp-au-prod-app-ccs-yoursay-fil ... l_pack.pdf

Gotta say the seating configuration and atmosphere (until they started selling out the Entertainment Centre at the backend of last season) was better at Findon but the amenities are definitely better at the Entertainment Centre. Obviously Findon was designed for basketball with most seats closer to the court and all facing the court unlike at the Entertainment Centre, where a lot of the seats there are facing side on beyond the baseline.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#771 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:19 am

When Pelligra first purchased the site and there was talk of an upgrade, and the understanding was that despite any upgrades made it wouldn’t result in the 36ers playing games there again, but it would act as more of a community hub and training facility for the 36ers. As it is, the venue can’t host concerts, this was legislated when they built the venue because the state government of the time were worried that it might take away from the recently built AEC.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#772 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:07 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:19 am
When Pelligra first purchased the site and there was talk of an upgrade, and the understanding was that despite any upgrades made it wouldn’t result in the 36ers playing games there again, but it would act as more of a community hub and training facility for the 36ers. As it is, the venue can’t host concerts, this was legislated when they built the venue because the state government of the time were worried that it might take away from the recently built AEC.
I thought that legislation was rescinded around 10 years ago. There were a handful of concerts there in the 2010's when the Entertainment Centre was already booked.

As has been mentioned above, acoustics would be terrible for most concerts and no concert promoter is going to actively pick Findon over the Entertainment Centre.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#773 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:09 pm

JCK98 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:38 pm
Seems to be adding 3 indoor courts, a bunch of outdoor ones on what used to be used as a car park and a new gym/office space out the back. I can't see the 36ers moving games back there (except preseason matches or the odd double booking at the Entertainment Centre) when there's even less parking and not much substantial upgrades in the main arena. Local Grand Finals and Lightning games will stay there, though.

The 36ers are back training there after moving to the un-air-conditioned Port Adelaide Stadium for a season because of a dispute with the previous owners, but could still use the upgrade to compete with other clubs in the NBL.

Gotta say the seating configuration and atmosphere (until they started selling out the Entertainment Centre at the backend of last season) was better at Findon but the amenities are definitely better at the Entertainment Centre. Obviously Findon was designed for basketball with most seats closer to the court and all facing the court unlike at the Entertainment Centre, where a lot of the seats there are facing side on beyond the baseline.
Is the gym/admin area the space that is currently a function space (I think it was originally called the Apollo dining room as a nod to Apollo Stadium).

JCK98
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#774 Post by JCK98 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:35 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:09 pm
JCK98 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:38 pm

Is the gym/admin area the space that is currently a function space (I think it was originally called the Apollo dining room as a nod to Apollo Stadium).
Looks like a new building whereas the Apollo function space is inside the main building (looking over the courts).

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#775 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:41 pm

Can someone please make a separate thread for this one please.