[APP] Royal Hotel Kent Town | 45m & 47m | 14 & 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[APP] Royal Hotel Kent Town | 45m & 47m | 14 & 15 Levels | Mixed Use

#1 Post by Ben » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:25 am

Not much detail on this one yet but from what I've heard will be quite significant.
Description of Proposed Development:
Mixed use development comprising retail, residential, car parking and ancillary works and alterations to existing hotel beer garden and car park

Detailed Land Uses:
Residential - Residential Flat Building
Retail - Shop
Commercial - Hotel

Application Type: DAC - Inner Metro (Over 4 storeys)

Application Status: CATEGORISED

Address: 2 North Terrace, Kent Town

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[APP] Re: Royal Hotel Redevelopment Kent Town | Mixed Use

#2 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:29 am

I assume that would be for the car park area?

ghs

#3 Post by ghs » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:46 am

I assumed that they were going to knock down the hotel but if they're planning alterations to the beer garden then obviously it's staying. Sounds like it will be a smaller development like East Park.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Ben » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:36 am

I would think East Park is a large development for the area... sure it wouldn't be in the CBD but in the suburbs 2x 11 Storeys is pretty large :)

I'm hoping to get an indication of height soon but yes the hotel is staying in some form.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#5 Post by victorious80 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:49 pm

This one is much higher than 4 stories.....will be quite a good proposal if it gets up (pun intended)

ghs

#6 Post by ghs » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:57 pm

Yes the developers of this said last year that this would probably be bigger then their
Angas street proposal which is 23 levels.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Wayno » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:41 pm

More on this one from AdelaideNow
A NEW $37 million apartment and retail complex planned for Kent Town would be the tallest building in Adelaide outside of the CBD.
royal-kent-town.jpg
royal-kent-town.jpg (68.11 KiB) Viewed 15424 times
Flagship Capital Holdings last week lodged plans with the Development Assessment Commission for a 15-storey apartment building on the site of the current carpark of the Royal Hotel, at the corner of North Tce and Dequetteville Tce in Kent Town

It would include retail space on the ground floor facing North Tce.

The state heritage-listed Royal Hotel, opened in 1878, would remain but changes would be made to its beer garden.

The next tallest outside of the city are Glenelg’s Atlantic and Adelphi towers at 13 storeys, Eastwood’s Air Apartments at 12 storeys and the 11-storey East Park Apartments being built only 150m away at the corner of Dequetteville Tce and King William St, Kent Town.

Norwood, Payneham & St Peters’ urban corridor zoning for the northern part of Kent Town allows for buildings up to 10 storeys tall.

Preserve Kent Town Association committee member Dave Catts opposed the plan.

“To me it’s all about the carparking,” Mr Catts said.

“I know they want people to use public transport or to walk but not everyone works in town and for recreational purposes they’re not going to all catch buses or trams.”

He said the area was far from existing residential areas, instead being mainly made up of small businesses.

Norwood, Payneham & St Peters Mayor Robert Bria would not comment on the specific proposal but said “that sort of increased and multi-storey residential development is anticipated in that area”.

Flagship Capital Holdings is also behind a $70 million, 23-storey residential apartment development at 27-31 Angas St in the city.

They would not comment on the plans last week.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:37 pm

LOL.."Preserve"...
As usual the Advertiser giving these muppet fringe groups all the air time they want. Absolutely no opposing views presented to the fringe groups..again.

My god. It's a freaking bloody car park.
Absolutely it is all about the car parking. The poor bloke wont know how to get to his local pub if he can't drive and park within 5 meters of the entrance. He might get lost if he has to park elsewhere.

Nathan

#9 Post by Nathan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:54 pm

rev wrote:

LOL.."Preserve"...
As usual the Advertiser giving these muppet fringe groups all the air time they want. Absolutely no opposing views presented to the fringe groups..again.

My god. It's a freaking bloody car park.
Absolutely it is all about the car parking. The poor bloke wont know how to get to his local pub if he can't drive and park within 5 meters of the entrance. He might get lost if he has to park elsewhere.
Not to mention "Rose", who in the comments thinks they should incorporate a Park & Ride. It's less than 500m from the city!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[APP] Royal Hotel Redevelopment Kent Town | Mixed Use

#10 Post by Wayno » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Here's the preserve Kent town associated website. -> http://pkta.org/index.html

Their mission: "The Preserve Kent Town Assocation (PKTA) was formed in 1975. Its aim is to preserve the historical character of the area, maintain its blend of residental and business premises and ensure that new developments are appropriate."

Appropriate?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

metro
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by metro » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Nathan wrote:Not to mention "Rose", who in the comments thinks they should incorporate a Park & Ride. It's less than 500m from the city!
reading comments on the advertiser, and listening to the people interviewed on the street for the news, it's no wonder the unemployment rate is so high in this state :roll:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Membership details

PKTA membership includes individuals and organizations based in Kent Town as residents, landowners or business operators.

As a member of the PKTA one can participate in supporting PKTA aims and work with other members towards a better community.

The PKTA meets four times a year with one meeting being the annual general meeting. Membership to the PKTA is annual.

Membership Fees
Single $15.00 (Concession $8.00)
Families $25.00 (Concession $15.00)
What a bargain!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:11 am

Tbh, hopefully they're planning for vehicle access to this development to be away from North Tce -- it's a bit of a bottleneck.

But otherwise it's an exciting prospect! I would love the former Koreatown and Clark's Rubber sites to be incorporated into a high-density residential development, as well as see North Terrace House across the road refurbished à la Air Apartments or Brougham Place.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#14 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Surely the hotel is heritage listed?

I don't really understand why developers are so eager to prop up low/medium-rise developments on the fringe of the city? In-case they haven't noticed, we have a massive city grid that for the most part hasn't been developed. Not to mention there are also an abundant of vacant office buildings along Fullarton and Greehill Road that that could be converted into apartments...

Nathan

#15 Post by Nathan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Surely the hotel is heritage listed?

I don't really understand why developers are so eager to prop up low/medium-rise developments on the fringe of the city? In-case they haven't noticed, we have a massive city grid that for the most part hasn't been developed. Not to mention there are also an abundant of vacant office buildings along Fullarton and Greehill Road that that could be converted into apartments...
Read the article again. The original hotel will be preserved, the development is for the open lot car park area, and part of the beer garden. The location is closer to the thick of the city than many spots within the square mile. It will have unbroken views over the Botanic Gardens and Rundle Park, and the East End is a couple of minutes away by foot. That area of Kent Town is also covered by the height increases for urban infill.