[VIS] Interstate Trains at Adelaide Railway Station

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[VIS] Re: Interstate Trains at Adelaide Railway Station

#151 Post by rev » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:31 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:49 am
TrebleSketch wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:44 am
Spotto wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:09 am

JBRE’s trains will never return to ARS. The only one that could potentially is The Overland. Please scroll back through this thread for all the various reasons why.

But yes, once a north-south tunnel link is built it will free up capacity for additional suburban and (hopefully) regional services. But they won’t funnel all lines through it, at most Gawler and Seaford, possibly Flinders.
Having The Overland run via ARS would honestly be a good thing, the bare minimum that should be done. Honestly, I do wonder what the "big transport news" that I've heard about from State Gov, the hopeful in me would be thinking either the return of Regional Rail or maybe the CIty Tunnel. Tho the pessimist would think it might have been the "revised" T2D project...

While it would be awesome to see The Ghan/Indian-Pacific to stop at Platform 1, I don't think they will even be long enough for either's longest configuration. Eh?
I believe the 'transport news' is a $100m package for road/rail freight on the Lefevre Peninsula.
It is.
Posted it in the Defence thread as its in relation to that stuff ramping up.

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#152 Post by MT269 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:08 pm

Do you have a link? There could be several threads which border on defence discussion.

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#153 Post by ralmin » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:05 pm

abc
Legendary Member!

#154 Post by abc » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:11 pm

An interstate reviewer of train travel remarked upon arriving at Adelaide station that it was quite depressing... he was specifically referring to the area where the platforms are which have a very low ceiling due to the carpark built above it

It was a missed opportunity in the 80s to build a more spacious enclosed platform area as we see in major cities in the other states

Having said this I don't think it will ever be practical to have interstate trains at Adelaide Station for the reasons such as rail gauge, space anyway. An opportunity exists to create an enclosed platform area along another part of the interstate route. That needn't necessarily be at Keswick, it could be further up closer to the hospital. That track goes all the way to the hospital before bending north and heading to Dry Creek.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#155 Post by RetroGamer87 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:31 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:11 pm
An opportunity exists to create an enclosed platform area along another part of the interstate route. That needn't necessarily be at Keswick, it could be further up closer to the hospital. That track goes all the way to the hospital before bending north and heading to Dry Creek.
That area wouldn't be straight enough to build platforms.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#156 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:44 pm

Several cities have curved platforms. It's not a requirement to have straight platforms.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#157 Post by Eurostar » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:40 am

Would of been nice if Xplorers were used on The Overland. How many would fit on an Adelaide Railway Station platform ?

ChillyPhilly

#158 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:05 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:44 pm
Several cities have curved platforms. It's not a requirement to have straight platforms.
It may not be a requirement, but London is phasing these out in the name of disability access (inconsistent gaps between platform and railcar). That said, Adelaide does have some curved stations, and even Adelaide Showground is built on the slightest of curves.
Eurostar wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:40 am
Would of been nice if Xplorers were used on The Overland. How many would fit on an Adelaide Railway Station platform ?
How long are the units compared to the 4000s?

My take is that ARS should be abandoned by metropolitan rail, with Adelaide Metro services going in a new rail tunnel (which then travels under the CBD and rejoins existing rail north of Adelaide Showground), and ARS can be restructured to allow regional/interstate rail, while maintaining links to a new metro station underground.

I do feel the platforms of ARS are poor - diesel noise and fumes, poor lighting, limited passenger info, etc. Longer term the Riverside Centre will probably be demolished, providing an opportunity for further upgrade and a new, additional western entrance.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

abc
Legendary Member!

#159 Post by abc » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:46 pm

it doesn't have to be located right on the bend, just closer to the North Terrace area of the city. Something covered and nearer the hotel district would be more welcoming than the current arrangement. Even if a small spur is constructed... we have an existing track all the way to the gaol.

As I said, Adelaide Station is not the solution for several reasons that are unmitigable.

Nort

#160 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:51 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:05 am
[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:44 pm
It may not be a requirement, but London is phasing these out in the name of disability access (inconsistent gaps between platform and railcar). That said, Adelaide does have some curved stations, and even Adelaide Showground is built on the slightest of curves.
Eurostar wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:40 am
How long are the units compared to the 4000s?

My take is that ARS should be abandoned by metropolitan rail, with Adelaide Metro services going in a new rail tunnel (which then travels under the CBD and rejoins existing rail north of Adelaide Showground), and ARS can be restructured to allow regional/interstate rail, while maintaining links to a new metro station underground.

I do feel the platforms of ARS are poor - diesel noise and fumes, poor lighting, limited passenger info, etc. Longer term the Riverside Centre will probably be demolished, providing an opportunity for further upgrade and a new, additional western entrance.
It's hard to imagine there being anywhere near enough regional/interstate rail most of the time to make it anything other than a ghost town inside the existing station the majority of the time, meaning poor amenities and services.

Much more ideal would be getting the cross-city tunnel built so the North/south lines go through that instead of terminating in the station, and using the extra space that comes from that for interstate services.