Major construction & supply chains?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
floplo
High Rise Poster!

Major construction & supply chains?

#1 Post by floplo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:56 am

Hi,

so, I have no real idea about the logistics of a major construction project, but was curious how dependent are they on outside supply? Practically, if SA keeps constructions sites open, i.e. as long as the state gov doesn't shutdown non-essential work, can companies actually complete the projects or is there a point where they will have to break as well (so for example, although Germany hasn't fully shutdown, essentially all carmakers have announced plans to suspend their operations as they can't keep their supply chains working and demand might be gone for now as well....)

Has anyone any insights into that?

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Major construction & supply chains?

#2 Post by SBD » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:53 pm

floplo wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:56 am
Hi,

so, I have no real idea about the logistics of a major construction project, but was curious how dependent are they on outside supply? Practically, if SA keeps constructions sites open, i.e. as long as the state gov doesn't shutdown non-essential work, can companies actually complete the projects or is there a point where they will have to break as well (so for example, although Germany hasn't fully shutdown, essentially all carmakers have announced plans to suspend their operations as they can't keep their supply chains working and demand might be gone for now as well....)

Has anyone any insights into that?
Concrete is made from cement. Adelaide Brighton makes that at Osborne, using raw materials from Yorke Peninsula. It also has a factory near Angaston which uses material from Penrice.
Some steel comes from Whyalla.
Other things might be harder to find locally.