250 homes to be demolished for 650 new ones

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: 250 homes to be demolished for 650 new ones

#31 Post by claybro » Fri May 19, 2023 1:47 pm

To be clear, I am not against high density zones. But these must be near high frequency train stations, preferably including local shops, childcare and maybe even a small pub or social facility.. none of which we are getting with these middle suburb proposals. It’s lazy and cheap, and we have learnt nothing in the last 50 -70 years where these developement become ghettos.. except now with the added issues of an apparent complete lack of being able to control the unruly elements in society.

Llessur2002

#32 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri May 19, 2023 2:34 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 1:47 pm
But these must be near high frequency train stations, preferably including local shops, childcare and maybe even a small pub or social facility.
I think this is pretty much the ethos of the 15 minute city concept.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sat May 20, 2023 9:40 am

claybro wrote:
To be clear, I am not against high density zones. But these must be near high frequency train stations, preferably including local shops, childcare and maybe even a small pub or social facility.. none of which we are getting with these middle suburb proposals. It’s lazy and cheap, and we have learnt nothing in the last 50 -70 years where these developement become ghettos.. except now with the added issues of an apparent complete lack of being able to control the unruly elements in society.
What came first, the chicken or the egg?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#34 Post by rev » Sat May 20, 2023 11:27 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 2:34 pm
claybro wrote:
But these must be near high frequency train stations, preferably including local shops, childcare and maybe even a small pub or social facility.
We used to have small corner deli's and fish and chip shops throughout the suburbs. Where are they all now?

It's all a bit like a European city, high density multi-level residential, with retail tenancies at ground level, be it a pharmacy or cafe or take away shop or other retail.
I guess we're about to find out in the near future if it will be sustainable in Adelaide.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by Mpol02 » Sat May 20, 2023 8:41 pm

Isn’t our current state government against this though? I’m confused why is this happening

ChillyPhilly

#36 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun May 21, 2023 1:21 pm

rev wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:27 am
Llessur2002 wrote:
claybro wrote:
We used to have small corner deli's and fish and chip shops throughout the suburbs. Where are they all now?

It's all a bit like a European city, high density multi-level residential, with retail tenancies at ground level, be it a pharmacy or cafe or take away shop or other retail.
I guess we're about to find out in the near future if it will be sustainable in Adelaide.
Local delis have been wiped out by OTR and other junk service stations.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#37 Post by rev » Sun May 21, 2023 3:25 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 1:21 pm
rev wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:

They were starting to disappear long before an OTR popped up in every suburb.
And the local chicken shop/fish & chip shop started to vanish well before the healthy eating trends started.

It's kind of like a full circle in a way with these new higher density developments now, with local coffee shops integrated.

SBD

#38 Post by SBD » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:09 pm

rev wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 3:25 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 1:21 pm
rev wrote:

They were starting to disappear long before an OTR popped up in every suburb.
And the local chicken shop/fish & chip shop started to vanish well before the healthy eating trends started.

It's kind of like a full circle in a way with these new higher density developments now, with local coffee shops integrated.
(Catching up in a few busy weeks)
As far as I can tell, my local chicken/fish and chip shop is owned by a family who might have two or three in other suburbs, but not a big chain. My local pizza shop is part of a loose chain - the owner's brothers also own pizza shops a few suburbs away.

I suspect that the demise of corner grocery shops should be blamed on us - the customers - not just the competition. We (collectively) could have continued to use our 1950s local shops instead of drifting to the larger supermarkets. In turn the small family-owned shops either closed or grew, and joined forces. Foodland and IGA stores are still independently owned, but the successful ones are a lot bigger than they were fifty years ago and some owners run mini-chains. Drakes was one of those until it grew big enough to leave the Foodland "family". South Australia seems to still have a lot more of these kinds of competitive shops than most other states.

OTR, X-convenience and AM/PM have grown to fill a need that overlaps but is slightly different. The world will look different again in fifty more years when bulk portable liquid fuel stops being a daily necessity.