[PRO] Unley Central | ~36m | 9 Levels | Mixed-use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Unley Central | ~36m | 9 Levels | Mixed-use

#1 Post by Pants » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:03 pm

Plans unveiled for $150m retail and cinema complex that would transform Unley Road
Plans for a $150m apartment, entertainment and retail hub in Unley have been unveiled, including what would become the tallest building on Unley Road.

The heart of Unley would be transformed under a $150m plan to develop apartments, a cinema, offices, shops and cafes on a major site in the town centre.

To be known as Unley Central, the development will replace the current Target store on Unley Road, as well as an adjoining car park and the BarZaar bistro and function centre.

A nine-storey tower will accommodate around 50 apartments above the main retail, office and dining hub on Unley Road, while up to 80 apartments will feature in a second nine-storey building on Arthur Street.

The Unley Road building would become the tallest on the strip.

Local developer Catcorp will oversee the development on behalf of local businessman Patrick Ho, who owns the Target site and will retain ownership of the retail, office and entertainment complex.

Unley Mayor Michael Hewitson said Unley Central would become one of Adelaide’s premier retail, entertainment and residential destinations.

“Unley Central supports our goal to develop the Unley town centre to make it the city fringe retail and entertainment destination that it should be,” he said.

“All the while, we will do it in a way that respects the character and heritage of wider Unley. I am confident our community will welcome having entertainment facilities in Unley, a bigger and more competitive shopping centre, a greater diversity of shops and an increase in places to eat out.”

The project is the first major development proposed for the Unley Central precinct since a development plan amendment (DPA) for the area was signed off in 2017, allowing for development of up to nine storeys.

More than 500 basement and aboveground car parks will be made available, including around 90 for residents, while around 50 new trees will more than double tree canopy coverage on the site, Mr Hewitson said.

Catcorp managing director Anthony Catinari said a cinema operator, medical services providers and hospitality tenants had already been secured for the project, which would create more than 1000 full‐time jobs during construction and more than 300 ongoing jobs.

Talks are also ongoing with existing tenants including Target about opportunities to reopen in the new development, while national and international retailers, a wellness centre, supermarket and flexible offices are also planned for the precinct.

“As a proud Unley local, I want to help create something of value in my community,” Mr Catinari said.

“We didn’t want to create another square box, so that’s why we’ve used a bit of European design to create something a little bit different.

“There’s a boulevard feel with all the arches at the front and then it sets back within to encourage outdoor dining.”

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: [PRO] Unley Central $150M Mixed-use

#2 Post by crawf » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:56 pm

Love it. Perfect for Unley.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by PeFe » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Surprised about the cinema part of the proposal given that Wallis Cinemas are just a hop skip and jump up the road at Mitcham.

Patrick_27

#4 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:57 pm

So glad to see that Target Unley is going but as mentioned above, the cinema inclusion is questionable. Why has it become a thing where whenever there is a suburban retail development they throw in a cinema for measure? The cinema industry was already struggling in the lead up to the COVID outbreak but has since been crippled by the restrictions and such so the demand for what we already have here in Adelaide lives in question, to add to that is stupid. Not to mention Mitcham is just up the road, which even if they secured Palace Nova cinemas, Wallis Cinemas Mitcham still offer everything in the way arthouse, National Theatre live etc. Would rather see a new Coles go in this development and Unley Shopping Centre proceed with their longterm plan of converting Coles into a Dan Murphy's.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by wilkiebarkid » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:41 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:47 pm
Surprised about the cinema part of the proposal given that Wallis Cinemas are just a hop skip and jump up the road at Mitcham.
....and that there will be a multiscreen cinema complex at the Burnside Village extension.

malyzajaczek
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#6 Post by malyzajaczek » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:11 am

Cinema is not needed really but what I would like to see is something akin to what I saw in Sydney, Macquarie Shopping Centre - an ice skating rink. It would be right fit here and fun for all. Since Unley has no electronics stores, something like Jaycar would be good.
When things get intense, just remember "We're bunch of hairless apes, flying through space on a living spaceship".

Algernon

#7 Post by Algernon » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:14 am

Is the (possiblty former) bazaar bistro still owned by the Sturt FC?

malyzajaczek
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by malyzajaczek » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:11 pm

Has anyone got any photos of the target building before target moved in, before it was revamped ?
Any links to historical photos ?
When things get intense, just remember "We're bunch of hairless apes, flying through space on a living spaceship".

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:31 pm

I believe there used to be a supermarket where Target is now, maybe a Franklins.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:13 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:31 pm
I believe there used to be a supermarket where Target is now, maybe a Franklins.
Yeah it was a Franklins in the 90s

malyzajaczek
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by malyzajaczek » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:58 am

It was Franklins, then Bi-Lo and then it may have changed to Coles before moving out (not certian about last one). There was an internet cafe at the front entry of the mall.

Seems it's all quiet about the development, anyone know where it's at ?

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:51 am

Sorry to bump this read with speculation, but I wonder if it is this site for sale: https://www.commercialrealestate.com.au ... 2017179655

Patrick_27

#13 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:58 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:51 am
Sorry to bump this read with speculation, but I wonder if it is this site for sale: https://www.commercialrealestate.com.au ... 2017179655
Wouldn't surprise me... Pretty flippant business case to include a cinema as the main drawcard of this development when you consider the proximity of Mitcham Cinemas, and PalaceNova in the CBD, having so many cinemas even that close together doesn't stack up in somewhere like Adelaide.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Ben » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:55 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:58 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me... Pretty flippant business case to include a cinema as the main drawcard of this development when you consider the proximity of Mitcham Cinemas, and PalaceNova in the CBD, having so many cinemas even that close together doesn't stack up in somewhere like Adelaide.
Patrick I assume you are an economist or have experience in the industry?

Patrick_27

#15 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:34 am

Ben wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:55 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:58 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Patrick I assume you are an economist or have experience in the industry?
I previously worked in for Wallis for three years, prior to my current position, so yes? Then again, considering the opinions expressed generally speaking on this forum, I didn't realise that one had to be an economist or industry professional to weigh in on the discussion of viability of a development proposal...