[U/C] Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

#76 Post by Norman » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:34 pm

A video update from late December for the Victor Harbor Road project. Works are progressing well, most of the earthworks have been done.

https://youtu.be/RD5eAuUg6ZM

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#77 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:51 am

Bitumen been laid on new southbound lanes of Victor Harbor Road

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#78 Post by alexczarn » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:25 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:51 am
Bitumen been laid on new southbound lanes of Victor Harbor Road
that was pretty quick.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#79 Post by SouthAussie94 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:00 pm

I imagine a traffic switch onto the new road will happen pretty soon. The current road needs to be built up a fair way to allow for the new roundabout at Robinson Rd.

Still a large amount of work to be done.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#80 Post by Furyan » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:32 pm

Some good aerial footage today from the Tour Down Under on TV for the works in progress along Main South Road near Aldinga. More to come on Thursday supposedly.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#81 Post by alexczarn » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:04 pm

not sure if this fly through has been posted yet./

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#82 Post by rev » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:52 pm

Here's the article for it too.
Artist impressions of $625m Main South Rd duplication released
Artist impressions have been released as the public gets its chance to scrutinise the latest plans for Main South Road. Watch the flyover video.
Shashi Baltutis
less than 2 min read
January 19, 2023 - 3:37PM

The plans for an upgrade of a major South Australian thoroughfare are open for scrutiny following the release of an artist impression of the works which are set to cost hundreds of millions.

Stage two of the Main South Rd duplication project, which runs from Aldinga to Sellicks Beach is available for public comment after a detailed video of the upgrade was released.

Stage two of the project is set to include the realignment of Aldinga Beach and Sellicks Beach roads and an underpass at the intersection of Main South Rd with the realigned Aldinga Rd and Aldinga Beach Rd intended to improve traffic flow.

There will also be wide centre median strips, wire rope safety barriers to separate northbound and southbound traffic installed.

The duplication, which is expected to cost $625m, is progressing according to schedule Transport Minister Tom Koutsantonis said.

Funding will come jointly from the state and federal governments.

Major construction on the project is scheduled to start late in 2023 with completion of the duplication slated for early 2026.

“We expect this section will be delivered on budget and on time,” Mr Koutsantonis said.

He highlighted the current safety concern on the road.

“If you’re attempting to turn on to Main South Rd from any of the suburbs along here, it is hazardous and dangerous.”

Mr Koutsantonis warned that there would be delays and restrictions in place while the works are in progress.

“As work continues, we ask anybody driving through the area to allow extra time, plan ahead and always drive to conditions.

“There will be slight delays occasionally when we’re doing intersection upgrades.”

He hailed the work of the crews constructing the duplication.

“Anybody who’s been through the area recently will have seen how hard the crews continue to work and that hard work will continue.”

The transport minister highlighted the importance of community input in the project.

“It’s important that we consult and we talk to people but more importantly we want to do it once, and we want to do it right with no roundabouts,” he said.

Feedback on the new concept design is open until February 3.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 1f23c08ba7

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#83 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:01 am

Halfway there to becoming a motorway...
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#84 Post by rev » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:18 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:01 am
Will probably happen when the surrounding areas around this are filled with housing developments..much to the delight of the anti-sprawl crowd.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#85 Post by dbl96 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:41 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:18 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:01 am
Will probably happen when the surrounding areas around this are filled with housing developments..much to the delight of the anti-sprawl crowd.
Why would you want that to happen? The McClaren Vale region is a much greater asset to the state as an agricultural tourism region than it would be as some far flung suburb.

At any rate, most of these areas are protected from suburban encroachment by the urban growth boundary.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#86 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:18 pm

Well essentially the land to the west between Main South Road and the sea is reserved for development and the land to the east is protected for agricultural use only under the McLaren Vale Character Preservation Zone.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#87 Post by neoballmon » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:58 pm

Victor Harbor Road is progressing quite well.
Surface has been laid for 90+% of the southbound carriageway, and between South Road and The future roundabout at Robinson Road, they've marked lines in preparation for the traffic switch.
They've also been progressively moving the concrete barriers on their overnight works, and even started laying bark-chips on the side of the road today, which leads me to think we'll be switched before the end of the month, at least for the first half of the alignment.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#88 Post by Eurostar » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:30 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:58 pm
Surface has been laid for 90+% of the southbound carriageway, and between South Road and The future roundabout at Robinson Road, they've marked lines in preparation for the traffic switch.
They've also been progressively moving the concrete barriers on their overnight works, and even started laying bark-chips on the side of the road today, which leads me to think we'll be switched before the end of the month, at least for the first half of the alignment.

Roundabout also removed at Aldinga

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#89 Post by Archer » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:45 pm

neoballmon wrote:

I've seen notifications now that the switch will occur from 5am Tuesday, 28th of February and be in place until late 2023. Robinson Road will also be closed at the Intersection of Victor Harbor Road for 3 months to allow for the Roundabout construction.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#90 Post by 85trainfan » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:29 pm

Archer wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:45 pm
neoballmon wrote:

I've seen notifications now that the switch will occur from 5am Tuesday, 28th of February and be in place until late 2023. Robinson Road will also be closed at the Intersection of Victor Harbor Road for 3 months to allow for the Roundabout construction.
Variable message boards with notice were switched on today, Asphalt is laid all the way from South road through to the McLaren Vale overpass. most road side signs (speed, roadwork , directional signage) is in place ready for the switch.
Up unitl about 2 weeks ago, this project was moving at a snails pace, but seems to have kicked into gear again now
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.