[PRO] Hindmarsh Stadium Upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO] Re: Hindmarsh Stadium Upgrade

#16 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:23 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:10 pm
$53 million and it is getting no increase to the capacity.
A capacity increase isn't the pressing issue though.
Exactly. I have been going to this stadium for almost every game in the last 10 years and can tell you that this is a massive upgrade that will make a big difference for both spectators and players alike. From simple things like having a proper soundsystem instead of 1 or 2 speakers, to the increased number of change rooms that will allow for double headers... This is the least fans can expect. Maybe one day there will be a new, bigger stadium, but for the crowd numbers it currently gets, this is great news.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Algernon » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:54 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 pm
Nathan wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:23 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
A capacity increase isn't the pressing issue though.
Exactly. I have been going to this stadium for almost every game in the last 10 years and can tell you that this is a massive upgrade that will make a big difference for both spectators and players alike. From simple things like having a proper soundsystem instead of 1 or 2 speakers, to the increased number of change rooms that will allow for double headers... This is the least fans can expect. Maybe one day there will be a new, bigger stadium, but for the crowd numbers it currently gets, this is great news.
One thing I always felt should be done is to make better use of the FFSA HQ grounds and making a northern entrance to ease the queue times at the eastern gates. I see that this upgrade will have more gates, but I think it's only the addition of one or 2 to the western side. I always sat in the GA area and don't recall the queue times at the western side (having not sat there literally since the NSL days pre olympics upgrades). Maybe the western side needed the boost too? No idea.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by NTRabbit » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:21 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
The capacity can't increase though, thanks to roads and heritage buildings there's no further space on the block to expand the footprint of the existing stands to make bigger and taller ones. Everyone involved has known this for years.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:31 pm

I know it will cost more but Heritage buildings can be move and a tunnel can be build.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#20 Post by rev » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:00 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:31 pm
I know it will cost more but Heritage buildings can be move and a tunnel can be build.
Or just stop trying to reinvent the wheel and build a stadium somewhere more appropriate.
Or....do nothing but minor upgrades as is currently happening.

Either way we will still be talking about what to do in 15 years if not longer.

Patrick_27

#21 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:26 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:00 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:31 pm
Or just stop trying to reinvent the wheel and build a stadium somewhere more appropriate.
Or....do nothing but minor upgrades as is currently happening.

Either way we will still be talking about what to do in 15 years if not longer.
Exactly. I can never tell is people are taking the piss by suggesting these pie in the sky ideas or if they're being genuine. $150m+ tunnel for the sake of expanding a stadium by a few thousand seats, really?

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by mattwinter » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:21 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
The capacity can't increase though, thanks to roads and heritage buildings there's no further space on the block to expand the footprint of the existing stands to make bigger and taller ones. Everyone involved has known this for years.
Knock down southern stand and keep that end open with maybe 10 rows of seats, move pitch 15m south, big Northern end stand that matches the Western stand and wraps right around, I reckon you could push it to 21-22k. That would be plenty.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by NTRabbit » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 pm

mattwinter wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 am
NTRabbit wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:21 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
Knock down southern stand and keep that end open with maybe 10 rows of seats, move pitch 15m south, big Northern end stand that matches the Western stand and wraps right around, I reckon you could push it to 21-22k. That would be plenty.
The Eastern stand can't go any further south, it already sticks over the top of the heritage listed fire station there, and even if you dropped the southern stand to 10 rows it doesn't create enough space around the northern end to make a meaningful difference in the overall capacity.

Realistically, if you can even call it that, their best bet for increased capacity while staying on the same site is to buy all of the lots on Holden St between Susan and Manton, get permission to delete the road, and then pivot and move the ground north-west away from the heritage buildings with a new build. No one is going to pay for that though.

Llessur2002

#24 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:00 am

As the Waite gatehouse will show, small heritage buildings can successfully be moved for relatively small sums of money. The best (and in my opinion, most likely) bet for eventual expansion on this site is via that route.

Algernon

#25 Post by Algernon » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:31 pm

Of the one corner that is blocked by a heritage building, if you went to the expense of moving the heritage hall to fill in that corner, you'd gain maybe 250 seats maximum at huge expense in a poor viewing position (therefore cheap general admission tickets generating low revenue) and they'd be the last to sell on the uncommon occasion that the place sells out.

Doesn't pass the cost benefit analysis on any measure. It's simply a thought bubble exercise of whether it's theoretically possible.

Llessur2002

#26 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:08 pm

There are three heritage buildings to the south - the fire station, the chapel and the adjacent row of cottages. If all three were moved then the whole stadium can be shifted to the south over Hindmarsh Place. That would remove pretty much all constraints on expanding the stands.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by NTRabbit » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:37 am

Doesn't remove all constraints, just some - they'd still need to buy most of the industrial properties south of the ground to get enough space, to let them generate enough seats, to make the entire effort stack up financially.

Llessur2002

#28 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:43 am

I don't know about how the financial side of things stacks up but just clearing the smaller non-industrial buildings to the south looks like it would give more than enough space for a significant expansion of all four stands if the playing surface was shifted south. Even more so if just one industrial property - the Caesarstone place I've highlighted in green - was also cleared. I would have thought from a pure capacity perspective that would more than cater for any foreseeable increase in soccer crowds.

Last edited by Llessur2002 on Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:09 pm

Draw a rectangle around Hindmarsh that fits the current stands plus, and then drag it down until the corners fit between holden and Manton - I think you'll find you need to go further than your red line there.

By that stage you're already talking about building a brand new stadium from scratch, along with the costs associated with moving the heritage buildings, and the cost to buy the industrial lots to the south - at which point it's worth asking if it's not a better use of the money to build a new stadium at a better location with less money spent on things other than the build.

Llessur2002

#30 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:28 pm

How big does it need to be? This is not even close to the southern boundary and already there's significant scope for expansion of the stands (excuse the crudeness btw).