SA State Election 2022

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Which political party will you vote for at the 2022 South Australian State Election?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:42 pm

Liberal
13%
Labor
50%
Greens
20%
Nationals
No votes
SA Best / Centre Alliance
No votes
One Nation
3%
United Australia Party
No votes
Independent / Other
13%

Total votes: 30

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

Re: SA State Election 2022

#46 Post by Jaymz » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:42 pm

I could see no issue here if the corflute in question featured a photo of Peter Malinauskas with Lucy Hood, with the latters name only shown. Plaster whatever party slogan they wish on that version.

bits
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by bits » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:50 am

I have seen many of Marshall outside of his seat.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:27 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:48 pm
I'm very surprised the state election commission hasn't ruled that Labor needs to take down the corflutes that just has a photo solely of Malinauskas with a For The Future slogan in seats where he is not running as the local member. It seems to imply that he is running as the local member. The politically savvy are smart enough to know the difference, but the average Joe probably doesn't. The distinction should be made a bit clearer; Peter Malinauskas, Leader of the Labor Party or something to that effect. I wouldn't allow "running for Premier for South Australia" as technically he has to win his own seat first in order to be confirmed as Premier by the Governor General after the election. It's not gonna happen, but there would be a lot of egg on his face if Labor won, but he lost his seat so the premiership would fall to the 2nd in charge of the Labor Party.

I argue this on the basis that I'd you jmagine if the Liberals had won in 2007, but John Howard still lost his seat. That would have been a bit of a clusterfuck selling that to the Australian public afterwards that the leader people thought they were getting, didn't get the job.
If it doesn't expressly state in any of the Acts or Regulations that the Electoral Commission of SA (https://ecsa.sa.gov.au/legislation) administers, that the corflute hung in that electorate must only be of someone running there, then the Commission won't rule against it.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by SRW » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:15 pm

This argument is all very specious. People see who they're voting for when they're at the ballot.
Last edited by SRW on Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by Jaymz » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:44 pm

SRW wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:15 pm
It's all very specious. They see who they're voting for when they're at the ballot.
Specious. Corflutes. I'm learning new words exponentially.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#51 Post by SBD » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:43 am

SRW wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:15 pm
This argument is all very specious. People see who they're voting for when they're at the ballot.
Agreed. People see his picture on the pole near their home. They think "I'm not really into politics, but I've seen him on TV and he looks nice." They go to their local polling booth to vote for him and get totally confused when his name isn't on the ballot paper, so they vote for the person at the top of the page.

SBD

#52 Post by SBD » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:05 pm

Has Labor promised anything substantial for that part of the state north of Gepps Cross in this election campaign?

There seem to have been a range of ideas and promises for the south and southeast but I don't recall hearing anything further north than a new swimming pool for North Adelaide.

The current government seems to have started the Copper Coast Highway overpass and Port Wakefield bypass (which Labor spokespeople have complained hasn't fixed the problem yet), Joy Baluch Bridge duplication, early work on Truro Bypass and Barossa hospital, and many delays but nearly finished electrifying the entire Gawler railway line. Lyell McEwin Hospital is getting an enlarged ED (not sure who started that). On the negative side it allowed new traffic lights instead of an overpass for Riverlea Park which is now the only set of traffic lights between the Torrens and Port Augusta.

With Frome and Stuart presumably both "in play", I'd have thought there might have been a little more noise. Have I missed something? The northern suburban seats are presumably rusted-on Labor voters who don't need any promises.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#53 Post by rev » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:30 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:05 pm
Has Labor promised anything substantial for that part of the state north of Gepps Cross in this election campaign?

There seem to have been a range of ideas and promises for the south and southeast but I don't recall hearing anything further north than a new swimming pool for North Adelaide.

The current government seems to have started the Copper Coast Highway overpass and Port Wakefield bypass (which Labor spokespeople have complained hasn't fixed the problem yet), Joy Baluch Bridge duplication, early work on Truro Bypass and Barossa hospital, and many delays but nearly finished electrifying the entire Gawler railway line. Lyell McEwin Hospital is getting an enlarged ED (not sure who started that). On the negative side it allowed new traffic lights instead of an overpass for Riverlea Park which is now the only set of traffic lights between the Torrens and Port Augusta.

With Frome and Stuart presumably both "in play", I'd have thought there might have been a little more noise. Have I missed something? The northern suburban seats are presumably rusted-on Labor voters who don't need any promises.
It's been thoroughly underwhelming from both sides.

I don't think it matters in the end, their promises don't hold water, they are chronic liars, and that's about the only consistent thing about any of them, that you can be 100% assured they will lie to the public. And that's what it is, lies, once you've taken the media spin and sugar coating off of it.

Does it really matter what they have or haven't promised in the end?

Just one example, one of the most important examples and something that should be a priority for EVERY SOUTH AUSTRALIAN...Our hospitals/health care were in crisis under Labor. Liberals took government, what's changed? it's gotten worse now with the ramping crisis.
Liberals haven't fixed the issues.
How will Labor fix them? Who cares, because anything they promise, wont deliver.

These muppets can't even oversee the electrification of a single rail line heading north. It's as if electric trains are a wonder technology from the future.

SBD

#54 Post by SBD » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:48 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:30 pm
SBD wrote:

It's been thoroughly underwhelming from both sides.

I don't think it matters in the end, their promises don't hold water, they are chronic liars, and that's about the only consistent thing about any of them, that you can be 100% assured they will lie to the public. And that's what it is, lies, once you've taken the media spin and sugar coating off of it.

Does it really matter what they have or haven't promised in the end?

Just one example, one of the most important examples and something that should be a priority for EVERY SOUTH AUSTRALIAN...Our hospitals/health care were in crisis under Labor. Liberals took government, what's changed? it's gotten worse now with the ramping crisis.
Liberals haven't fixed the issues.
How will Labor fix them? Who cares, because anything they promise, wont deliver.

These muppets can't even oversee the electrification of a single rail line heading north. It's as if electric trains are a wonder technology from the future.
Whether the detail of the promises plays out or is dropped by "now we are in government we can see it is not cost effective", the promises and proposals give an idea of the direction.

Dan Cregan seems to have got Labor interested in rail transport to help people commute from Mount Barker to Adelaide, at the same time as arguing that Mount Barker will soon be SA's second-largest city, so presumably not needing its residents to commute to another city. Mount Barker already has a better link to Adelaide than Whyalla or Mount Gambier.

Improved facilities for intrastate freight by rail seems to not be on anyone's agenda. Apparently some grain is now exported in containers. Imagine if the 1950s network of railways serving silos was partially restored as a network of small intermodal terminals that could also be used for containers of groceries and supplies in the other direction. The trains could be powered either by a lot more electric wires, onboard batteries, or hydrogen for example.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#55 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:48 pm

SBD wrote:

Most significantly for the north Labor has proposed a ~$600 million hydrogen plan for Whyalla.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#56 Post by SBD » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:43 am

SRW wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:48 pm
SBD wrote:

Most significantly for the north Labor has proposed a ~$600 million hydrogen plan for Whyalla.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten that one. Thank yo. Both sides seem to have a plan to develop a "hydrogen industry".

Labor seems to want to develop a state-owned hydrogen generation plant and a state-owned power station to turn it back into electricity, all near Whyalla. Liberal seem to want to assist private enterprise to develop the first part, but export the product.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by Goodsy » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:01 pm

well SA is run by Labor again

SBD

#58 Post by SBD » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:12 pm

Steven Marshall has conceded defeat and congratulated Peter Malinauskas as the new premier.

We get ambulance ramping fixed, a state-owned hydrogen power station, a new state-run swimming centre in North Adelaide and upgraded soccer grounds instead of a new basketball stadium.
EDIT: and a Supercar race on the streets of Adelaide.

I hope that they continue to finish the Gawler railway electrification (including electric trains on the tracks) and complete the North-South motorway corridor. It will be interesting to see what transport solutions eventuate for Mount Barker - commuters to Adelaide and connecting the North-south Motorway to the South Eastern Freeway.

[Shuz]

#59 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:09 am

There's the possibility still of Marshall losing his own seat of Dunstan. Right now, Labor candidate, Cressida O'Hanlon is in front, after preferences.

Deputy Premier has lost his seat by a 20%+ plus swing to Independent Geoff Brock in Stuart.

The factional infighting in the Liberal Party begins now. It'll be quite the shit storm and tbh I can't wait to see how it unfolds. Vicki Chapman left an hour early during the ABC election coverage to meet with some members of the Liberal party room. Marshall allegedly stormed out after his press conference and several sources place him swearing at his staff telling them "Get me the fuck out of here." He didn't bother to stick around to thank his supporters.

I've got the popcorn at the ready.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#60 Post by rev » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:11 am

Most underwhelming election ever. Kind of a relief.

I doubt ramping and hospitals will be fixed.
More ambulances wont fix it. More ambos just means People won't wait 2 hours while they die. But they'll still be ramped at ED.

Considering they had that paramedic in Lab TV ads, you'd think they would certainly address it to some degree.

More doctors & nurses won't fix it either if they have nowhere to see patients.
But at least common sense has prevailed and nurses can return to work with just a rats test, as can our police.

Supercars has a race reserved in December for Adelaide. Lets see if Labor delivers and brings it back. Its up to them to get it done because the Supercars have allocated a race for it to be added to the schedule if our governments brings it back this year.

Don't see why they wouldn't continue the Gawler line which is in the later stages.
Or the North South corridor for that matter which has the preliminary works like soil samples being taken.
I do wonder if Labor will mess with the design of the final section that the Libs unveiled? If someone's reading, get rid of that light blue ribbon shit.

But my biggest questions, will they 1) address cost of living, there is things the state government can do to ease that pressure, and 2) will they fix our damn roads already which are shocking. Just some general maintenance, and maybe some new engineers who can design roads that don't feature 4028171840 manhole covers on the driving line.