F1 Grand Prix at The Bend

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

F1 Grand Prix at The Bend

#1 Post by andynguyen » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:22 pm

I strongly believe there is an opportunity for Australia to host another round of the F1 Grand Prix, at The Bend Motorsport Park.

With F1 terminating Russia's Grand Prix contract, and with strong ticket sales to the Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park in April, I think there is an opportunity to host a second round of the Australian Grand Prix which could come as early as late this year.

The Bend is an excellent and award winning circuit, no doubt about it. And there is a lot of space at the venue to fit in spectators, whether they are going for the day or staying overnight. I'm sure the owners of The Bend have been dreaming about hosting the F1 for quite some time and are much more than financially capable of funding the event. Plus, its only a 75 min drive to the world's 3rd most liveable city, Adelaide. The Bend is also easy to access, which makes it the perfect choice especially for those who want to travel to a F1 Grand Prix by caravan, campervan or large vehicle and/or from across regional areas around Australia. The benefits of hosting a Grand Prix at The Bend, I think, will far outweigh the costs.

In a state that is so starved of major motorsport events for quite some time, F1 at The Bend will be a welcome addition to South Australia's event calendar. Australians love their motorsport, and this is especially true for SA. All that's needed is a bit of upgrades to the circuit to meet standards to host the F1 Grand Prix. That shouldn't take long and should only cost a few million dollars. Other things might be fast tracked as well, like more accommodation. And Government support is vital too, especially in terms of assisting with any F1 Grand Prix bid and marketing the event. The Bend can host the Grand Prix with several months notice.

A F1 Grand Prix at The Bend could be held on the Labour Day long weekend in early October, which will enable the event to attract as many spectators as possible, especially true given it coincides with school and public holidays in SA and a number of other Australian states, suitable weather at the venue and a lack of other events in SA around that time. It also allows for a reasonable spacing between that event and the F1 Grand Prix at Albert Park.

I'm sure that a Grand Prix at The Bend could be at least an occasional fixture on the F1 calendar in the future, should the owners of The Bend wish to sign a long term deal. F1 have been thinking about rotating a number of their events going forward and The Bend could fit the bill quite perfectly along with a number of other circuits around the world.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: F1 Grand Prix at The Bend

#2 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:06 pm

The Bend doesn't have adequate medical facilities in sufficient proximity to meet Grade 1 status; and the other requirements would cost significantly more than "a few million dollars".

There's no way it would be viable at anything other than the Adelaide Street Circuit, which would also require massive amounts of work in order to make Grade 1. I am a massive F1 fan, and would love to have a race back here, but I'm afraid it's next to impossible now. Instead we should be trying to get something like Formula E on the street circuit.

andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3 Post by andynguyen » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:10 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:06 pm
The Bend doesn't have adequate medical facilities in sufficient proximity to meet Grade 1 status; and the other requirements would cost significantly more than "a few million dollars".
Murray Bridge hospital is only 25 minutes from The Bend, and for more serious medical incidents, there is plenty of space at The Bend for helicopters to land which can then transport affected patients to either the RAH or Flinders Medical Centre.

The owners of The Bend are willing to host the F1 Grand Prix at their venue, and it was constructed with that in mind. I'm sure the owners would have plenty of capacity to fund the required upgrades to their circuit in order to host the F1 and that shouldn't be too much of an ask! And the only other thing that's needed is a Government that can work together with the owners of The Bend, and F1 organisers, to make F1 Grand Prix at The Bend a reality! More info here: https://autoaction.com.au/2020/09/04/sh ... ackup-plan
Nathan wrote:
There's no way it would be viable at anything other than the Adelaide Street Circuit, which would also require massive amounts of work in order to make Grade 1. I am a massive F1 fan, and would love to have a race back here, but I'm afraid it's next to impossible now. Instead we should be trying to get something like Formula E on the street circuit.
This is why The Bend will, from now on, be the hub of SA motorsport. And nothing beats the F1, which could be accommodated at The Bend with just a few upgrades.

The works needed at Adelaide Street Circuit in order to host any motorsport event of international level will be significant and that could come at a substantial cost to the South Australian taxpayer when compared to The Bend, not to mention disruptions to traffic and city operations before, during and after the event.

Nathan

#4 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:36 pm

andynguyen wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:10 pm
Nathan wrote:
Murray Bridge hospital is only 25 minutes from The Bend, and for more serious medical incidents, there is plenty of space at The Bend for helicopters to land which can then transport affected patients to either the RAH or Flinders Medical Centre.
Requirement is that neurosurgery is accessible within 20 minutes. Murray Bridge does not have that, and RAH and Flinders is more than a 20min helicopter flight away.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by A-Town » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:34 pm

Won't happen. It costs north of $40m to bid for an F1 event these days, not to mention The Bend isn't up to F1 standards (although that could change).

As much as I would love for the F1 to return to SA, it won't be happening anytime soon, if ever.

andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#6 Post by andynguyen » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:23 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:36 pm
Requirement is that neurosurgery is accessible within 20 minutes. Murray Bridge does not have that, and RAH and Flinders is more than a 20min helicopter flight away.
How did you find that out? Did you get in touch with any F1 officials or staff, or anyone connected to them? Because there is nothing on the Internet that I've seen that verifies the requirement about neurosurgery for a Grade 1 track.

But if that's still the case, it could be possible for neurosurgeons to be hired down at the Murray Bridge hospital (might be needed anyway due to its future population growth), that hospital has a helipad and is less than a 10 minute helicopter ride from The Bend.

andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by andynguyen » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:36 pm

A-Town wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:34 pm
Won't happen. It costs north of $40m to bid for an F1 event these days, not to mention The Bend isn't up to F1 standards (although that could change).

As much as I would love for the F1 to return to SA, it won't be happening anytime soon, if ever.
I'm sure the owners of The Bend have a lot of financial capacity to pay for the bid and any upgrades needed to the track given their net worth. And the only other thing needed to enable the return of the F1 to SA, to The Bend, would be Government support, even if there is no funding from the Government needed like the British Grand Prix.

Given the Covid-19 pandemic and more recently, the war in Ukraine, it is possible that some venues, especially those in Europe, may be dropped from the F1 calendar in future years if respective authorities choose not to renew their F1 contracts due to economic and financial problems. So that could make the case for a second Australian Grand Prix down at The Bend even stronger, in addition to the existing Grand Prix at Albert Park.

It may even be possible for a Grand Prix at The Bend to be held later this year, too, if Government support can be arranged quickly!

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by A-Town » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:49 pm

andynguyen wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:36 pm
A-Town wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:34 pm

I'm sure the owners of The Bend have a lot of financial capacity to pay for the bid and any upgrades needed to the track given their net worth. And the only other thing needed to enable the return of the F1 to SA, to The Bend, would be Government support, even if there is no funding from the Government needed like the British Grand Prix.

Given the Covid-19 pandemic and more recently, the war in Ukraine, it is possible that some venues, especially those in Europe, may be dropped from the F1 calendar in future years if respective authorities choose not to renew their F1 contracts due to economic and financial problems. So that could make the case for a second Australian Grand Prix down at The Bend even stronger, in addition to the existing Grand Prix at Albert Park.

It may even be possible for a Grand Prix at The Bend to be held later this year, too, if Government support can be arranged quickly!
The Turkish Grand Prix is most likely going to take the place of the Russian GP. In future they will probably add a third GP in the US, as there have been numerous talks about Las Vegas hosting a race. There's been a huge push for more races in the US by F1's US owners Liberty Media.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#9 Post by rev » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:31 am

Don't buy into the pie in the sky nonsense from them, because all it's designed to do is lure more tax payers money their way.

Furthermore, the suspension of the race in Russia is temporary, as are all the measures being taken.

Sydney has it's eye on the Formula 1.
In this day and age, where money talks more then anything else, there is absolutely zero chance of Formula 1 returning to Adelaide.
If Melbourne gives it up, it's going straight to Sydney.

South Australia should never have given it up, because it's never returning here.

And I agree with Nathan, as I've said before most in South Australia even knew what Formula E was, South Australia should be pushing to bring that here to the street circuit in the city in the March or December time slot.

Nort

#10 Post by Nort » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:17 am

There are literally hundreds of race tracks around the world that would be better for the F1 than The Bend. Having ambitious ideas is good, but this doesn't add up.

F1 is portrayed as glamorous, powerful. They absolutely don't want caravans lined up along the track.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Jaymz » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:35 am

Do similar standards apply for Moto GP? I've often thought The Bend would be perfect to get a second round to Australia. I know i'd travel out there to see it.

Nathan

#12 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:18 am

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:35 am
Do similar standards apply for Moto GP? I've often thought The Bend would be perfect to get a second round to Australia. I know i'd travel out there to see it.
I don't think so, MotoGP doesn't fall under the FIA. Phillip Island is only Grade 3, so The Bend at Grade 2 you would think would be allowed — but I don't know if FIM have a seperate grading system in place.

andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#13 Post by andynguyen » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:31 pm

A-Town wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:49 pm

The Turkish Grand Prix is most likely going to take the place of the Russian GP. In future they will probably add a third GP in the US, as there have been numerous talks about Las Vegas hosting a race. There's been a huge push for more races in the US by F1's US owners Liberty Media.
Turkey cannot afford to host another Grand Prix. A third Grand Prix in the US is possible but they should also look elsewhere around the world too for extra and rotating F1 rounds, including a second Australian Grand Prix down at The Bend! F1 already have lots of rounds allocated to Europe so cutting one or two European rounds is no big deal!

andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#14 Post by andynguyen » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:04 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:31 am
Don't buy into the pie in the sky nonsense from them, because all it's designed to do is lure more tax payers money their way.

Furthermore, the suspension of the race in Russia is temporary, as are all the measures being taken.

Sydney has it's eye on the Formula 1.
In this day and age, where money talks more then anything else, there is absolutely zero chance of Formula 1 returning to Adelaide.
If Melbourne gives it up, it's going straight to Sydney.

South Australia should never have given it up, because it's never returning here.

And I agree with Nathan, as I've said before most in South Australia even knew what Formula E was, South Australia should be pushing to bring that here to the street circuit in the city in the March or December time slot.
Never say never!

F1 has terminated Russian Grand Prix and I don't think they would want to come back to Russia until well after Putin is removed from office and replaced by a more democratic leader!

There are logistical challenges to a Sydney Grand Prix. As spectacular and well known as the city is, unfortunately there is not a lot of room to accommodate fans and operations unlike The Bend, and street circuits cost a lot more than permanent circuits!

If NSW is to host the Grand Prix then Sydney Motorsport Park would be a logical option! But that circuit is of lower quality than The Bend Motorsport Park in SA which is less than 5 years old!

South Australia has a chance to host Australia's second F1 Grand Prix down at The Bend no matter what! No motorsport event beats the F1!

andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by andynguyen » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:04 pm

Nort wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:17 am
There are literally hundreds of race tracks around the world that would be better for the F1 than The Bend. Having ambitious ideas is good, but this doesn't add up.

F1 is portrayed as glamorous, powerful. They absolutely don't want caravans lined up along the track.
Not really true mate! The Bend is a very high quality track that even beats some of the tracks currently used for F1! For F1 races track quality is very important!

As for caravans, they can be parked out of sight of spectator viewing areas and there's plenty of room at The Bend to accommodate them! But having an idea of caravan numbers would help determine total attendance for the Grand Prix which I expect could be up to 150,000 for the entirety of The Bend Grand Prix!