AFL Gather Round

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: AFL Gather Round

#16 Post by SRW » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:35 pm

I never really understood why they fully demolished all the grandstands at Footy Park. Could have just been downscaled.
Keep Adelaide Weird

abc
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by abc » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:27 pm

SRW wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:35 pm
I never really understood why they fully demolished all the grandstands at Footy Park. Could have just been downscaled.
developers needed the land is why and councils cant sell off land quick enough

Cryptic
Gold-Member ;)

#18 Post by Cryptic » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:19 pm

An agreement has been signed between the AFL and the South Australian Government to keep Gather Round in South Australia until at least the end of 2026.

abc
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by abc » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:21 pm

hate the double headers..really is a bad look

another venue is needed to maximise the potential of this, even if its a 15k cap ground

Richmond and upgraded Thebarton would be obvious choices but for the pathetic public transport options and the horrendous traffic on South Road would be a bad situation for interstaters

Glenelg Oval would be the only venue served by public transport with the tram stopping only 7 minute walk from the ground and has other options such as accommodation and restaurants...however even in the halcyon days I don't think Glenelg Oval ever got more than 15k in, and in these days of excessive safety it would be capped at 10k which isn't enough to make the move away from double headers viable IMO

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:29 pm

Norwood Oval needs a serious upgrade if its gonna host again next year. The lighting is terrible and the pitch dimensions are completely out of whack. Not to mention the seating and terraces need improving.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

claybro

#21 Post by claybro » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:29 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:29 pm
Norwood Oval needs a serious upgrade if its gonna host again next year. The lighting is terrible and the pitch dimensions are completely out of whack. Not to mention the seating and terraces need improving.
Cue the SA flagulation brigade. Everyone here is absolutely raving about the concept.. and mildly jealous Perth didn’t get it. People are a bit over gigantic soulless bowls. Here was a back to grassroots football, on a suburban (and regional ) ground. Great atmosphere, and local flavour. It’s something different to 4 games per weekend at MCG and Docklands, with some crumbs thrown to the other capitals that we get eeek in week out. So what if Norwood’s lighting is not 25 billion lux. Did it stop a great game? No. Perhaps tge narrower ground produced a closer more contested style. Great! 2 close games there. I hope you guys realise just how big this is from an interstate perspective,

abc
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by abc » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:56 pm

reminds us older ones what we lost when the SANFL ceased to be the main event in town

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#23 Post by rev » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:10 pm

claybro wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:29 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Cue the SA flagulation brigade. Everyone here is absolutely raving about the concept.. and mildly jealous Perth didn’t get it. People are a bit over gigantic soulless bowls. Here was a back to grassroots football, on a suburban (and regional ) ground. Great atmosphere, and local flavour. It’s something different to 4 games per weekend at MCG and Docklands, with some crumbs thrown to the other capitals that we get eeek in week out. So what if Norwood’s lighting is not 25 billion lux. Did it stop a great game? No. Perhaps tge narrower ground produced a closer more contested style. Great! 2 close games there. I hope you guys realise just how big this is from an interstate perspective,
Exactly, it was a great weekend, that outside of the AFL media/commentators who have a job of 'selling it' to help ensure it's success, I don't think we've seen or heard an interstate visitor say anything negative about the concept or it being hosted in Adelaide this weekend gone.

There's been an $85 million economic boost from this weekend of footy.

Next year they should use Norwood again for one game, and Glenelg Oval for a game as well. A game down at the bay would help showcase our 'premier' beach front.
Another game in the hills, charter buses put on included in the ticket for the game up there, and similar with the Barossa.
Tanunda oval has plenty of room for temporary stands to be erected on the southern and western sides.

SBD

#24 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:00 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:10 pm
claybro wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
Exactly, it was a great weekend, that outside of the AFL media/commentators who have a job of 'selling it' to help ensure it's success, I don't think we've seen or heard an interstate visitor say anything negative about the concept or it being hosted in Adelaide this weekend gone.

Next year they should use Norwood again for one game, and Glenelg Oval for a game as well. A game down at the bay would help showcase our 'premier' beach front.
Another game in the hills, charter buses put on included in the ticket for the game up there, and similar with the Barossa.
Tanunda oval has plenty of room for temporary stands to be erected on the southern and western sides.
Does the Gather Round have to have the matches close to a central place? I didn't see any event that had all 18 teams gathered at once for a meet-the-fans event.

Four "big" matches at Adelaide oval as four separate events over the weekend, two or three at the "best" suburban ovals, then add some of Mount Barker, Mount Gambier (two Victorian teams), Tanunda, Riverland and somewhere on Eyre Peninsula or Upper Yorke Peninsula.

abc
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by abc » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:17 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:00 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:10 pm
claybro wrote:

Does the Gather Round have to have the matches close to a central place? I didn't see any event that had all 18 teams gathered at once for a meet-the-fans event.

Four "big" matches at Adelaide oval as four separate events over the weekend, two or three at the "best" suburban ovals, then add some of Mount Barker, Mount Gambier (two Victorian teams), Tanunda, Riverland and somewhere on Eyre Peninsula or Upper Yorke Peninsula.
To maximise crowds I would have 4 big games at AO
4 at the biggest/best suburban grounds...try to get 15k in.... Norwood the western stand was empty for both games for some reason and there was still plenty of room in the outer

deal with the cricket pitch at Glenelg

1 game in the country

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by A-Town » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:44 pm

claybro wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
Norwood Oval had a lighting upgrade only last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To9nfxr ... annel=VALO

abc
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by abc » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:37 am

just had a look around the local SANFL grounds on the video highlights which are now on the AFL website

Prospect is now a dump, the terracing is all falling apart and the trees are overgrown, its a mess. Not an option.
Richmond I thought the local council were going to improve it, but there's not much evidence they have...also looking dumpy these days. Not an option.
Glenelg Oval just looks too small to accommodate any more people than Mt Barker and the cricket pitch remains an issue
Elizabeth is one of the better ones and has considerably more room than any other local ground, however its in Elizabeth...nothing against Elizabeth but its just pointless holding an AFL game there.
Unley, the outer has just completely disappeared, wouldn't fit more than 5k people. Not an option.

these days here in SA we probably have better infrastructure for local soccer than we do local aussie rules football, so it probably is important the AFL doesn't neglect one of its heartland areas they've neglected for too long

Nort

#28 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:29 am

abc wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:37 am
Richmond I thought the local council were going to improve it, but there's not much evidence they have...also looking dumpy these days. Not an option.
Works are moving along: https://yoursay.westtorrens.sa.gov.au/r ... aster-plan

Wouldn't be surprised if West Torrens Council asks for some state government assistance to speed the plans along so it can be used for a Gather Round match next year.

abc
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by abc » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:16 am

Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:29 am
abc wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if West Torrens Council asks for some state government assistance to speed the plans along so it can be used for a Gather Round match next year.
I'm aware of the plans as my mother lives in the area, however I've seen the results and its nothing impressive

Nort

#30 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:24 pm

abc wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:16 am
Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:29 am
abc wrote:

I'm aware of the plans as my mother lives in the area, however I've seen the results and its nothing impressive
Not quite sure how you can have seen the results as most of the works haven't happened yet!