[PRO] Grange-Holbrooks-East Ave Dog Leg

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[PRO] Grange-Holbrooks-East Ave Dog Leg

#1 Post by rev » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:07 pm

‘Frustrating’ western suburbs ‘dogleg’ intersection across Grange Rd at Beverley to go

Plans have been unveiled to fix the ‘dogleg’ intersection along Grange Rd, freeing up a bottleneck that has plagued western suburbs drivers for years. See the concept map.

A western suburbs “dogleg” intersection across Grange Rd at Beverley will be removed, saving drivers time and improving road safety.

Holbrooks Rd and East Ave will be realigned as part of a $90m upgrade – part of a series of works on intersections near the Torrens to Darlington project.

Once completed, the upgrade will improve flow along a key parallel route to South Rd during the project’s construction and in the longer term by creating two new through lanes in each direction.

Work on the realignment is scheduled to start late next year, and the project is due to open to traffic in late 2025.

Transport and Infrastructure Minister Tom Koutsantonis, who is due to unveil concept plans for the intersection on Wednesday, said “anyone who’s driven through this area knows how frustrating the staggered intersection across Grange Rd is”.

“This upgrade will make it quicker and easier to move along an important north-south corridor – a parallel route to South Rd – freeing up a bottleneck that has plagued drivers for many years,” he said.

“This is another example of the Government getting on with the job and providing real benefits for motorists while we undertake important early works to prepare for construction of the River Torrens to Darlington project.

“These broader network upgrades are forecast to support around 300 jobs a year, with at least 90 per cent of project labour to be undertaken by South Australian workers.”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... our=append

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: Grange-Holbrooks-East Ave Dog Leg

#2 Post by Aidan » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:09 pm

At last... an intersection upgrade that's actually worth spending tens of millions on!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

[Shuz]

#3 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:50 am

Now this is the sort of intersection upgrade I can get behind on! Doglegs should be the focus to improve traffic flow.

Not silly ones like the SDBD/Marion Road and Magill/Portrush Road ones which are an absolute waste of money.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Saltwater » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:50 am

The existing SDB / Marion Road crossing is more a capacity issue, two leans each way with minimal separated straight / right turn lanes. Even more so when work starts on the NSM, which will put a lot more traffic onto Marion Road, and then onto Holbrooks Road so it's great to see them planning ahead and sorting the Holbrooks / Grange / East Avenue intersection well ahead of those volumes hitting.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Eurostar » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:56 am

Would it kill them to put in bus priority which will speed up Grange Road bus services and encourage people to use public transport.

Also on Holbrooks Road it wouldn't take much to make it from 1 lane in each direction to 2 lanes in each direction, lines could be painted over a week or two

claybro

#6 Post by claybro » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:17 am

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:56 am
Would it kill them to put in bus priority which will speed up Grange Road bus services and encourage people to use public transport.

Also on Holbrooks Road it wouldn't take much to make it from 1 lane in each direction to 2 lanes in each direction, lines could be painted over a week or two
Agree with sentiment re Holbrooks Road. Growing up in the area, this was meant to be widened into 2x2 50 years ago, (probably under the MATS plan) but ended up loosing momentum, and after removing some of peoples front yards, we ended up with some overly wide verges, and a sort of guesswork for drivers over where to sit on 1 wide lane in each direction. Also looking at the diagram, the West bound approach on Grange road only has 1x shared left/straight lane, 1x straight, 1x right turn. Shared left/straight lanes are always problematic when pedestrians hold up cars turning left, therefore also blocking through traffic. This direction is very busy at evening peak, and should have included 2x straight lanes. Maybe the servo could loose some garden space to facilitate this.

ChillyPhilly

#7 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:35 am

Eurostar wrote:

I think this will be pretty critical to include in the feedback. I did the same for SDBD/Marion Road. It is important to comment this because it is already extremely slow travelling around the western suburbs via road as is.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Aidan

#8 Post by Aidan » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:13 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:17 am
Agree with sentiment re Holbrooks Road. Growing up in the area, this was meant to be widened into 2x2 50 years ago, (probably under the MATS plan) but ended up loosing momentum, and after removing some of peoples front yards, we ended up with some overly wide verges, and a sort of guesswork for drivers over where to sit on 1 wide lane in each direction. Also looking at the diagram, the West bound approach on Grange road only has 1x shared left/straight lane, 1x straight, 1x right turn. Shared left/straight lanes are always problematic when pedestrians hold up cars turning left, therefore also blocking through traffic. This direction is very busy at evening peak, and should have included 2x straight lanes. Maybe the servo could loose some garden space to facilitate this.
I think the servo’s losing its garden space anyway, but you’re right — constructing it as planned it would still be a bottleneck.

A plan (more recent than MATS, I think) which I saw in the (now defunct) TSC library showed the eventual intention to Holbrooks Road up not only with Marion Road but also Hanson Road. It’s probably in the UniSA Mawson Lakes library now, but alas I can’t remember what it’s called.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ChillyPhilly

#9 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:53 am

Aidan wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:13 pm
claybro wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:17 am
I think the servo’s losing its garden space anyway, but you’re right — constructing it as planned it would still be a bottleneck.

A plan (more recent than MATS, I think) which I saw in the (now defunct) TSC library showed the eventual intention to Holbrooks Road up not only with Marion Road but also Hanson Road. It’s probably in the UniSA Mawson Lakes library now, but alas I can’t remember what it’s called.
The MATS Plan lists this:

'Extension of Marion Road on the alignment of Holbrooks Road and Main Street, between Henley Beach Road and Port Road in West Torrens and \Voodville.'

So there basically would have been a new arterial road connecting the northern end of Holbrooks Road to Kilkenny Road.

See below for a snippet of the above from MATS, and click for bigger. The maps do not show any further detail of the above. I rotated it so the top of the map faces north. Download the whole MATS Plan here: https://libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=C3 ... 8DB6504D16

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by Listy » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:40 pm

Eurostar wrote:

The dual lane part of Holbrooks near the river is 14.7m kerb to kerb, but the '1.5' lane bit is only 12.6m wide - I think that would be too narrow for 4 lanes as it is, especially if freight will be routed along there during the South Rd works. Widening the road might depend alot on where services are located

claybro

#11 Post by claybro » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:28 am

Whilst this upgrade is overdue, if this is to be considered as a second arterial long term, either end of Holbrooks and east ave are also dogleg intersections. Port Road and Henley Beach Rd’s intersections will be much more difficult to address, and coukd become problematic if more traffic is funnelled onto this route. Hopefully the motorway is not a long drawn out process.. and will in turn take pressure off this.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#12 Post by rev » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:04 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:28 am
Whilst this upgrade is overdue, if this is to be considered as a second arterial long term, either end of Holbrooks and east ave are also dogleg intersections. Port Road and Henley Beach Rd’s intersections will be much more difficult to address, and coukd become problematic if more traffic is funnelled onto this route. Hopefully the motorway is not a long drawn out process.. and will in turn take pressure off this.
Both ends would need property acquisitions for re-alignments to create your regular type of 4-way intersection I guess.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Listy » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:33 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:28 am
A Marion-Holbrooks realignment looks looks like it would be somewhat similar in size to the 1990's realignment of Tapleys Hill Rd around Anzac Hwy. While googling (unsuccessfully) for info on that project I came across this comment from the 1994 West Torrens Council strategic plan:
"Future realignment of Marion Road with Holbrooks Road contemplated by DTEI, however, details are unknown at this stage"

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by MT269 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:28 pm

Grade separation is a concept that those in the box on North Tce seem to overlook way too frequently. South Rd is presumably top priority for however long it takes to complete it. It is a nuisance yes. But Marion Rd is awful as well around SDB drive.

Adding more lanes will just cause it to max out in the future to the point where more lanes will be added, until it reaches the SA/Vic border, or even circumnavigates Earth to the point where you have to put lanes on top of each other. Grade separation would be a better long term solution, as well as Henley Beach and Holbrooks Rd.

Lately, I have noticed near zero delays all over Adelaide when getting around. The congestion looks to be a shadow of its former self, to the point where you wouldn't know there was such a thing as peak hour in Adelaide. But there is still the occasional bottleneck which cannot be ignored.

Why rebuild Magill/Portrush Rd with an intersection instead of an underpass? Adelaide is at the point where it could consider putting traffic lights at the point where the South Rd motorway goes above Regency Rd, just because this state is in love with intersections. Could also simulate virtual traffic crossing the road. In fact, why not implement this at every grade separated crossing with the South Rd project? It makes sense for Adelaide, because

I had to sit at a red light to finish this sentence and

another one. Back in the driveway now.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by kymbosa » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:14 pm

I am hearing that this project has already been given a red light and won’t be happening.

State Gov has lost funding for it.