News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
timtam20292
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#3046 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:09 pm

I personally wish those small buildings in front of the convention centre on riverside would be demolished. I understand what they are used for but they're just an eyesore.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#3047 Post by floplo » Fri May 03, 2024 8:18 pm

A fun guessing game:

From The Advertiser article on the Marriott GPO hotel:

The world’s largest hotel chain has signed a deal to establish a third hotel in Adelaide as it prepares to open its flagship Marriott brand in the historic GPO building in August.

Marriott International will also open a Westin hotel on North Tce in the city’s first skyscraper, but details on the third brand set for the CBD remain closely guarded.

“We have three signed deals here in Adelaide – the Marriott, Westin and another one on the way,” Sean Hunt, area vice president Australia, New Zealand and Pacific, said."

Anyone have any guesses what their third site could be?

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#3048 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri May 03, 2024 8:24 pm

floplo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:18 pm
A fun guessing game:

The world’s largest hotel chain has signed a deal to establish a third hotel in Adelaide as it prepares to open its flagship Marriott brand in the historic GPO building in August.

Marriott International will also open a Westin hotel on North Tce in the city’s first skyscraper, but details on the third brand set for the CBD remain closely guarded.

“We have three signed deals here in Adelaide – the Marriott, Westin and another one on the way,” Sean Hunt, area vice president Australia, New Zealand and Pacific, said."

The Wakefield street site next to the commonwealth bank building? That got sold recently and already has DA for a hotel.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3049 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri May 03, 2024 9:55 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:24 pm
floplo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:18 pm
A fun guessing game:

The Wakefield street site next to the commonwealth bank building? That got sold recently and already has DA for a hotel.
Perhaps the Market Square development?

Smithy84
High Rise Poster!

#3050 Post by Smithy84 » Fri May 03, 2024 10:09 pm

The hotel operator for the markets has already been announced.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3051 Post by Ben » Fri May 03, 2024 10:16 pm

Could be the Wright Street hotel which is about to start. I would guess their Aloft brand which was signed to open at cancelled new mayfield.

Otherwise I can’t think of any other approved hotels that haven’t signed an operator other than SA Tower.

Smithy84
High Rise Poster!

#3052 Post by Smithy84 » Sat May 04, 2024 7:38 am

I suppose the building doesn’t have to be approved… Keystone Tower isn’t approved yet.

The 100m+ proposal on Franklin Street has a hotel component from memory. That could be a possibility too.

Prodical
Legendary Member!

#3053 Post by Prodical » Sat May 04, 2024 4:05 pm

Three office entrances being upgraded around Flinders and KWS. There would be lots of competition for getting old office stock leased
Attachments
Refurb 3.jpg
Refurb 2.jpg
Refurb 1.jpg

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#3054 Post by floplo » Sat May 04, 2024 9:26 pm

Smithy84 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 7:38 am
I suppose the building doesn’t have to be approved… Keystone Tower isn’t approved yet.

The 100m+ proposal on Franklin Street has a hotel component from memory. That could be a possibility too.
Actually the 'Grote&Gouger' development (the former post sorting area) developed by Gurner has supposedly a 220 room hotel and is SCAP approved. Given the scale of that development Marriott might be interested (not sure which of their brands though).

Patrick_27

#3055 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon May 06, 2024 11:22 am

Article in today’s Tiser regarding extensive upgrades to the ‘Black Stump’ on Grenfell, apparently upgrades have already been made to the foyer entrance and further internal upgrades are to follow, with a complete upgrade/replacement of the external facade still to come. All part of the new owners vision to lure more tenants to the building. Frankly, that last part really bothers me. Office and apartment buildings need internal modernisation, sure. But the Black Stump is one of those rare instances where externally the building has timeless architectural merit to it. Looking at it, you could be mistaken for thinking it was built in the late-90s, even though it was built in the late-70s. These cheap, re-clad jobs of buildings that really don’t require it do my head in. Hell, I’d much rather the new owners of the old Telstra building on Pirie Street rework the upper exterior of that, there’s a building that looks older than it is.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#3056 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon May 06, 2024 11:26 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:22 am
Article in today’s Tiser regarding extensive upgrades to the ‘Black Stump’ on Grenfell, apparently upgrades have already been made to the foyer entrance and further internal upgrades are to follow, with a complete upgrade/replacement of the external facade still to come. All part of the new owners vision to lure more tenants to the building. Frankly, that last part really bothers me. Office and apartment buildings need internal modernisation, sure. But the Black Stump is one of those rare instances where externally the building has timeless architectural merit to it. Looking at it, you could be mistaken for thinking it was built in the late-90s, even though it was built in the late-70s. These cheap, re-clad jobs of buildings that really don’t require it do my head in. Hell, I’d much rather the new owners of the old Telstra building on Pirie Street rework the upper exterior of that, there’s a building that looks older than it is.
Agreed - the Black Stump is a great example of the mid-century internationalist style, I really hope they don't fuck it up.

abc
Legendary Member!

#3057 Post by abc » Mon May 06, 2024 11:30 am

gnrc_louis wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:26 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Agreed - the Black Stump is a great example of the mid-century internationalist style, I really hope they don't fuck it up.
it has a twin in Wellington NZ.

EBG

#3058 Post by EBG » Mon May 06, 2024 12:09 pm

The exterior cladding on the black stump building has been replaced about 12 months ago.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3059 Post by SRW » Mon May 06, 2024 4:47 pm

Wasn't it replaced because of combustible cladding?
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3060 Post by Ben » Mon May 06, 2024 5:11 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Yes the cladding replacement is already completed and was only done due to fire proofing. It looks essentially the same.