[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

#691 Post by neoballmon » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:16 pm

Bunnings is repainting their exterior at the moment, so I'm guessing plans have changed from them closing down and being replaced by parking?

Couldn't see them going to this expense if their lease was almost up

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#692 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:38 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:16 pm
Bunnings is repainting their exterior at the moment, so I'm guessing plans have changed from them closing down and being replaced by parking?

And removing its 'controversial' Lowest Prices Are Just The Beginning... slogan too.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Nort

#693 Post by Nort » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:26 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:16 pm

Bunnings is currently repainting all their stores in the same way, I wouldn't read too much into it one way or another.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#694 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Early works for the eventual expansion are well underway. This involves strengthening a number of columns in the carpark near bowland and inside the former Best and Less.

My understanding is that when the expansion eventually occurs, it will involve a restaurant precinct similar to TTP where the current top level carpark is near Coles and Grill'd.

Connecting some dots here, a loss of these carparks would mean than new ones would be needed to replace them. I'm unsure where these would be built but surely it would be a new multilevel carpark?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#695 Post by ralmin » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:32 am

Hopefully a new multi level. Westfield Marion has a serious lack of undercover parking. It’s chaos trying to find an undercover park when it’s busy especially if it’s raining. Nobody likes having to park outside and walk through the rain on a rainy day, and it’s also not fun on a blisteringly hot day having the car baking in the sun.

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#696 Post by nath91 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:39 am

Some latest activity

Opening Soon

Betty's Burgers
Billini Shoes
Lululemon
Adairs
New NAB on Level 2

Bracegirdles Cafe closing - wonder if other SA local cafe Kicco that opened up has taken their business?
Kids Playground next to the other cafe near Myer now gone also with a new one set to open in the Asian food mall in December

Rumours that Uniqlo are looking to be in near David Jones, and a new JBHIFI and Best and Less might be on the cards in 2023

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#697 Post by cocoiadrop » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:12 pm

"The changing layout of Westfield and retail rent have made this a long, sad and very difficult decision. " is what the Bracegirdles said about it.

My guess is that it's just another victim of Westfield's insane rents then rather than specifically cafe competition, there's plenty of cafes around Marion that seem to be less busy than Bracegirdles and are still around

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#698 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:44 pm

nath91 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:39 am
Some latest activity

Opening Soon

Betty's Burgers
Billini Shoes
Lululemon
Adairs
New NAB on Level 2

Bracegirdles Cafe closing - wonder if other SA local cafe Kicco that opened up has taken their business?
Kids Playground next to the other cafe near Myer now gone also with a new one set to open in the Asian food mall in December

Rumours that Uniqlo are looking to be in near David Jones, and a new JBHIFI and Best and Less might be on the cards in 2023
If JB Hi fi are on the move, Uni Qlo could comfortably take their space (and possibly next door, which I think is one of those pop up art stores at the moment)

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#699 Post by cocoiadrop » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:22 pm

Bowland confirmed shut Sunday January 15th 2023 due to the expansion plans not giving them enough room to operate.

The Scooter Guy

#700 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:02 pm

cocoiadrop wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:22 pm
Bowland confirmed shut Sunday January 15th 2023 due to the expansion plans not giving them enough room to operate.
Worse than when the residents of Golden Grove lost their nearby place to bowl in favour of Aldi!
I better head there and have fun.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#701 Post by cocoiadrop » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:54 pm

Bath and Body Works now open Level 1 near Big w

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#702 Post by MT269 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:47 pm

In regards to the development in this vicinity, can I suggest renaming some more shopping precincts after nearby suburbs? Just in order to continue the trend of inaccuracy.

'Marion' shopping centre is more suited to being named Sturt, or Oaklands. The actual suburb of Marion is at least a mile north east, and is served by a train station that is in a remote location. I wonder how many actually alight here, expecting to have a short walk to the shops, only to find that they're over 1.5 kms away.

I have no idea about the origin of Arndale. But perhaps it could be renamed Westfield Croydon to match up with the inaccuracy further south. The J8 service is the only connection to the Arndale precinct.

I don't understand why the one at West Lakes is accurately reflective of the suburb. Was this a mistake?

Llessur2002

#703 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:54 am

MT269 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:47 pm
I have no idea about the origin of Arndale. But perhaps it could be renamed Westfield Croydon to match up with the inaccuracy further south. The J8 service is the only connection to the Arndale precinct.
It's actually got a vaguely interesting history - being the first covered shopping centre in Australia to be air conditioned. From Wikipedia:
Armada Arndale was first opened in 1963.[1] It was built for the UK Development company Arndale Property Trust. It was the first in Australia of a chain of shopping centres by the Arndale development group, the other being Westfield Marion. It was the first fully enclosed shopping centre in Australia to have air conditioning.
There were four Arndale centres in Australia - two in Adelaide (this one and Marion, now Westfield), one in NSW and one in QLD and 20-odd in the UK. Being some of the first American-style malls they were a pretty big thing back in the 60s/70s and as far as I know the Armada Arndale here and the much larger Manchester Arndale in the UK are the last two to still carry the Arndale name.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#704 Post by Spotto » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:08 am

MT269 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:47 pm
'Marion' shopping centre is more suited to being named Sturt, or Oaklands. The actual suburb of Marion is at least a mile north east, and is served by a train station that is in a remote location. I wonder how many actually alight here, expecting to have a short walk to the shops, only to find that they're over 1.5 kms away.
Westfield Marion is only a few hundred metres from the boundary between Oaklands Park and Marion. Most people know the whole area as “Marion” regardless.

But on the train station, the government raised the idea of renaming Oaklands to “Marion Centre” before the new station opened, but nothing ever happened. Would’ve been a good idea.
403B8A67-DFE2-40CC-AB24-C2956D85FBF7.png

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#705 Post by cocoiadrop » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:42 pm

A rename to Marion Centre with a revamped foot corridor to the centre precient would be a great addition.