[CAN] Castle Plaza Shopping Centre Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

Re: Castle Plaza Shopping Centre Redevelopment

#166 Post by HeapsGood » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 am

Just sent this to them...

Dear Bunnings,

I write in relation to your announced future store at the South Road site of the former Toyoda Gosei factory at Edwardstown, South Australia.

I love Bunnings and relish the thought of more of your wonderful stores popping up providing jobs and great products to the local community.

I wonder though, if the elected site and plans at South Road Edwardstown take in consideration of the future expansion of the South Road highway? This is an SA state government policy to have a highway from South to North. I don't expect this to be started upon for a number of years but they have committed to build a highway down the very corridor where you are building the Edwardstown store.

Have Bunnings consulted with the SA State Government in regards to the highway, and issues of road lane expansion when the highway is to be built? I have spoken to a range of people who have community fears that the future highway may be affected by the Bunnings Edwardstown site, or likewise effect access and restrictions to the Bunnings store once construction takes place.

Please advise,

Will post their response here when I get it....
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#167 Post by HeapsGood » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi HeapsGood

Thanks for taking the time to contact us through our website.

We have discussed the future road expansion with the relevant authorities and we understand we will maintain access to the new Bunnings Warehouse when it is built.

Thank you again for your feedback and concerns.

Regards

name witheld

Administration Assistant

Property Department

Bunnings Group Limited
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#168 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:20 pm

HeapsGood wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 pm
Hi HeapsGood

We have discussed the future road expansion with the relevant authorities and we understand we will maintain access to the new Bunnings Warehouse when it is built.

Regards

name witheld

Administration Assistant

Property Department

Bunnings Group Limited
This doesn't tell us anything we didn't know already, this section of South Road will be in the air rather than in the ground...

claybro

#169 Post by claybro » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:00 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:20 pm
[quote=HeapsGood post_id=164858 time=<a href="tel:1520991271">1520991271</a> user_id=4329]
Hi HeapsGood

Regards

name witheld

Administration Assistant

Property Department

Bunnings Group Limited
This doesn't tell us anything we didn't know already, this section of South Road will be in the air rather than in the ground...
[/quote]

Not during its 2 + year construction phase it won't. Adding further complication to what will be a tricky section by approving MORE new developement along its flank seems crazy to me.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#170 Post by Ben » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:03 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 1df3399f8c
$45m Bunnings boost for the inner south
Michelle Etheridge, CoastCity Weekly Messenger

A $45 MILLION Bunnings warehouse at Edwardstown and a major Castle Plaza makeover will create a timely economic boost for the inner south, community leaders say.

Work has started on the new Bunnings outlet at the former Bridgestone factory on South Rd, which the company says will create 180 jobs.

Rezoning plans have also been approved to make way for redevelopment at Castle Plaza, featuring new shops and restaurants and an upgrade of Raglan Ave.

Southern Business Connections chairman Greg Garrihy said the two projects would strengthen Edwardstown’s position as an employment hub and help offset manufacturing job losses.

“Hopefully that will grow a bit because there’s been a lot of jobs lost from that location,” Mr Garrihy said.

“It will bring more people to that area and create opportunities for other businesses like cafes and restaurants.”

More than 600 tradespeople will work on the new Bunnings at 1028-1042 South Rd, which is expected to open in the first half of next year.

The biggest concern for local businesses was uncertainty over plans to create a non-stop corridor along South Rd, Mr Garrihy said.

He described the precinct around Castle Plaza as “a really big bottleneck”.

Marion Deputy Mayor Janet Byram said the two developments would help revitalise the area, alongside an $8.8 million redevelopment of Edwardstown Oval which was also underway.

Castle Plaza is owned by Vicinity Centres.

Vicinity’s executive general manager of development, Carolyn Viney, did not provide details on when plans would be lodged or what the upgrade would feature.

However, the company has previously flagged potential for an Aldi and Woolworths, along with specialty shops.

“The development application provides for a proposed development that would see the introduction of additional major tenancy offers, and improvements to Raglan Ave,” Ms Viney said.

Vicinity was working through issues including board approval and “state government and local government considerations”, she said.

The company proposed an $80 million development of the South Rd centre about a decade ago, but then scaled back on the possible size by about half, citing a downturn in the economy.

Under the plans, Raglan Ave will be revamped with extra trees and wider footpaths for outdoor dining.

It will also allow for new homes, shops and offices on nearby land to be sold off to developers.

Bunnings general manager of property Andrew Marks said the company was still deciding what to do with the former TAFE site just 2km from Edwardstown on Goodwood Rd, Panorama, where it had previously planned to build a store.

Mitcham Council’s planning panel rejected that project, following backlash from some residents.

The Marion store located within the Westfield complex would remain open, Mr Marks said.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#171 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:40 pm

I know I'm off topic, but that old TAFE site looks pathetic. Something needs to be done there during this term of government.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#172 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 pm

Work has started on the Bunnings? Demolition I presume?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

The Scooter Guy

#173 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:57 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 pm
Work has started on the Bunnings? Demolition I presume?
Someone please head down there and check!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#174 Post by how good is he » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 pm

The next big question is what they do with the former Panorama tafe site. Does the forum think as it’s owned by Wesfarmers it could be a Coles/K Mart/Officeworks and co. shopping centre Or a housing development?

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#175 Post by neoballmon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:47 pm

No demolition from the South Road frontage as of Sunday. Not sure about the rear of the site though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#176 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:12 am

There would be a lot of internal demolition i would imagine.

The Scooter Guy

#177 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Outside from yesterday:
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#178 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:31 am

The expansion is dead. Vicinity is selling the land.
Attachments
CP.JPG

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#179 Post by SRW » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:49 pm

I hope Renewal SA purchases the site for a TOD. Consolidate Woodlands Park & Edwardstown stations nearer to Raglan; redirect traffic to Edward St intersection; close Raglan from South Rd into a Main Street.
Last edited by SRW on Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#180 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:01 am

This parcel of land should be bought by DIT as a reservation for the future East West tunnel connection between the South Eastern Freeway and the North South Motorway. I've always envisioned a messy spaghetti like intersection of the Clem7/AirportLink and Legacy Way motorways in Brisbane.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.