[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Vee
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#3091 Post by Vee » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Adelaide scores in World Cup draw.

Interesting comments in this item from InDaily.
Huge plaudits for the Adelaide Oval redevelopment and Adelaide as a host city!!!
ICC Cricket World Cup Local Organising Committee Chief Executive John Harnden said the redeveloped Adelaide Oval and the state’s range of tourist attractions made it an ideal host city.

“Adelaide Oval is famous throughout the cricket world,” Harnden said.

“With its capacity increased to more than 50,000 and new world class spectator facilities, it is a great stage on which to play some of the biggest matches in the tournament come 2015.
InDaily July 30, 2013
Read the full story here, including information about Team India being based in Adelaide for warm-up matches during the week prior to the start of the Cup.
http://t.co/5hlz339Eo7

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3093 Post by Will » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:28 pm

I am surprised no-one has seen this for what it truly is; a giant snub of Adelaide.

We are the only capital city where Australia will not play, but furthermore we are getting games with Bangladesh and Ireland!

I am struggling to see any positives.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#3094 Post by Shahkar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:36 pm

We are getting a quarter final being the fifth biggest city while Brisbane and Perth missed out on it. We will be getting more exposure internationally by having other teams play here. Of course, that is my view on it. I'd rather have more World Cup matches to be hosted in Adelaide.

hitthepost
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3095 Post by hitthepost » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Not every capital city in Australia can have an Australia game in a World Cup. They don't play 6 pool games! We've got a warm-up match.
Think of the international exposure and focus - India especially, but also Pakistan and more from England.

And
To be honest
Don't we think this may help SACA's argument to CA that AO should get a Test v India that summer??

Vee
Legendary Member!

#3096 Post by Vee » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:16 am

I am not unhappy with Adelaide's matches in the fixture. The India-Pakistan opening match will be huge and it has already generated a lot of excitement from social media overseas. It puts our city and beautiful, redeveloped Adelaide Oval on the map for TV broadcasts to a massive audience and it ties in neatly with increased direct flights from Asia. It will be great for the tourism potential into a significant and growing Asian middle class market.

I like the Indian team being based here for the preliminary warm-up matches. And the Quarter Final is a bonus. I have seen grizzles on social media from folks from Brisbane and Perth unhappy about their matches.

The tournament features 49 matches across 44 days in 14 cities during February and March. So our 'Mad March' will be even more hectic than usual. The Tournament does seem to be drawn out over a long period but I like the inclusion of 'minnow' cricket nations and the chance of an upset or unearthing an unheralded player.

Spare a thought for the additional costs for potential O/S spectators of hosting the tournament over both Australia and New Zealand. Eg The (Irish) Blarney Army re amount and cost of travel is summed up in a recent Irish tweet ....
“@iantal2000: @Irelandcricket #Blarneyarmy 45,000km all in, 10,000 between the 6 matches on 4 islands. Better increase savings fund. #cwc15”

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#3097 Post by Maximus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:45 am

Will wrote:I am surprised no-one has seen this for what it truly is; a giant snub of Adelaide.

We are the only capital city where Australia will not play, but furthermore we are getting games with Bangladesh and Ireland!

I am struggling to see any positives.
Will -- not true. This is in fact great confirmation that Adelaide is seen as the most important cricket venue in Australia behind Melbourne and Sydney. You just have to compare our draw to that of Perth and Brisbane to see this.

Consider... Perth gets three games with India v a qualifier (i.e. a 'minnow' worse than Ireland or Bangladesh), Aust v another qualifier and India v West Indies. Brisbane gets three games with Aust v Bangladesh, Ireland v a qualifier and Pakistan v Zimbabwe. In other words, every single game except for one (India v West Indies) features a minnow or qualifier team.

In contrast, Adelaide gets four games that don't feature any qualifier teams: India v Pakistan (a true international blockbuster), England v Bangladesh, Pakistan v Ireland and a quarter final (which, even with the parlous state of Australian cricket at the moment, will almost certainly feature Australia).

We are getting the best draw we could have hoped for given the constraints of the competition. We should be very happy.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3098 Post by Paulns » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:06 am

I agree with a lot of the sentiments shared above but as far as I'm concerned it'd be an even greater snub for Adelaide if we lost the Test match to the Gabba, after all the money and time thats gone into the redevelopment, lifting the capacity and the good track record of crowds to the AO Test...
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Vee
Legendary Member!

#3099 Post by Vee » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:55 am

Paulns wrote:... as far as I'm concerned it'd be an even greater snub for Adelaide if we lost the Test match to the Gabba, after all the money and time thats gone into the redevelopment, lifting the capacity and the good track record of crowds to the AO Test...
Agree for all the said reasons.
And rain delays/washouts are a big risk factor for major cricket matches at the Gabba, compared to our dry summer.
Not likely to be a criteria but it's a huge disappointment to try and get a result in a vastly shortened test match, not to mention the frustration and loss of TV audience and value for sponsors during rain delays.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3100 Post by rhino » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:13 pm

I just checked out some of the stadiums in New Zealand that will be hosting World Cup matches.

Nelson is my favourite - what a corker! http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-worl ... al/stadium

Christchurch: http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-worl ... al/stadium

Dunedin: http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-worl ... al/stadium

Hamilton: http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-worl ... rk/stadium
cheers,
Rhino

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3101 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 pm

Vee wrote:
Paulns wrote:... as far as I'm concerned it'd be an even greater snub for Adelaide if we lost the Test match to the Gabba, after all the money and time thats gone into the redevelopment, lifting the capacity and the good track record of crowds to the AO Test...
Agree for all the said reasons.
And rain delays/washouts are a big risk factor for major cricket matches at the Gabba, compared to our dry summer.
Not likely to be a criteria but it's a huge disappointment to try and get a result in a vastly shortened test match, not to mention the frustration and loss of TV audience and value for sponsors during rain delays.
Crowds at Gabba and WACA for test matches are really quite poor in comparison to Adelaide over the years. In fact Adelaide does well even in comparison to Sydney, given our test is now held at a non holiday time in early December and Sydney test is held whilst schools and many people are still on holidays. It will be interesting to see if the crowds for cricket here increase even more with the redevelopment.

hitthepost
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3102 Post by hitthepost » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 pm

SACA will be lobbying for a Test in the 2014/15 summer. Lobbying hard. They have a number of arguments including our weather, record of big Test crowds, record of good big India Tests, new stadium.
In the end though, we have to remember that THERE ARE ONLY FOUR TESTS in the 2014/15 summer. So someone will miss out. And nobody will want to.

bretthandorf
Gold-Member ;)

#3103 Post by bretthandorf » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:35 pm

hitthepost wrote:SACA will be lobbying for a Test in the 2014/15 summer. Lobbying hard. They have a number of arguments including our weather, record of big Test crowds, record of good big India Tests, new stadium.
In the end though, we have to remember that THERE ARE ONLY FOUR TESTS in the 2014/15 summer. So someone will miss out. And nobody will want to.
If Brisbane gets a test over Adelaide it will blow my mind. The brisbane crowd numbers for tests are deplorable to say the least. Adelaide has a brand new stadium (essentially) that is an iconic part of world cricket, better crowd numbers and what does brisbane have? A stadium with no class, no heritage (any more) and multicoloured seats to make it look like people turn up.

Also I know this is off topic but that Nelson venue for the world cup... is that some sort of joke? They may as well put matches on at adelaide oval no. 2

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#3104 Post by dsriggs » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:32 am

Even worse than the time Sri Lanka played the West Indies in Berri

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3105 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:04 am

World Cup website wrote:Perth is Australia's only capital city where you can enjoy the beach lifestyle, relax in natural bushland, sample world-class local wines and watch an ocean sunset within just 30 minutes of the city.
Hmm

Also they could of at least used better photos of Adelaide and added more tourist attractions (cough Glenelg). Hardly enticing for tourists.